PDA

View Full Version : !!! Bad prop strike !!! Help!!!

garl.wilson
09-07-2014, 10:32 PM
So....after my hard work this week fixing my bow rails I have yet ran into another problem. I went out today and took my Black and green lady to Lake Jordan here in NC. I was having a good day with a team mate of mine until things took a turn for worse with a bad prop strike from a sumerged log we asssume after looking at the video that I just so had going from my gopro for the kiddos. Without the video you would not belive me if I told you I was running in 18.3. feet of water in a open lake right!!

My question is what should I expect roughly in price or repairs? I will upload pictures but what external damange I can tell is bent prop.....drive shaft guide bent....and probably bent drive shaft....YES....that is how hard we hit and thankfully no one was hurt!

In likes my bad day I dropped my crippled boat off at the mechanice and told him no rush because season is almost over and I plan on calling the insurance company tomrrow just for good measure because I am concerned with unseen damage.

Does anyone have any idea on the amount of cost and damage from possible experences?

(Check attachment for pics)208182081920820

uniwarking
09-07-2014, 10:54 PM
Photos like that make me feel sick... good luck man, hope they can get you back on the water quickly without breaking the bank!

cornrickey
09-08-2014, 12:59 AM
Shouldn't be too much more than a bill. It doesn't look look that bad.

garl.wilson
09-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Yeah I hope they get me back in the water within the next couple of weeks, but we will see. I know the pictures are not the best in the post, but I will say that I have never had a prop strike this rough ever on any boat that I have been around. At the end of the day I am glad that it will just be a bill for the boat and not hospital bills! I will try to clip down the video and upload it just for a quick little scare.

bergermaister
09-08-2014, 08:58 AM
This was from several years ago and dealer pricing but...

Prop ~ $400-500
Strut ~ $380
Shaft/Coupler ~ $450
Rudder/Rudder Port ~ $480

Gel repair and labor can add up quick if are you looking at any of that. Hope things go quickly and smoothly for you!

Packman
09-08-2014, 09:12 AM
When were you at Jordan lots of rocks there.

kaneboats
09-08-2014, 09:15 AM
Yup. $2500 is about right. $500 for prop, $400 or so for strut and $400 for shaft. About that much for labor plus any gelcoat repair.

garl.wilson
09-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Thanks to all for the rough prices. I was figuring about that much for sure. I was on Jordan yesterday for a few hours in the late morning into the early afternoon. I was just North of Vista Point boat ramp on the West side of the lake. Where I hit the log / prop killer was right around the mouth of the larger kick back cove and not the one that you can use to shoot up to HWY 64.

I normally always put in at Poes landing / B evert dam area and travel up, but after the strike I limped myself back with help of the wind to the boat ramp there and asked someone for some help to get back to my truck. We figured it would be better to take more time traveling and waiting than causing more damage limping it back.

parrothd
09-08-2014, 09:56 AM
Insurance?

bergermaister
09-08-2014, 12:13 PM
We hit ours in about 12ft of water in a (supposedly) marked channel! After the "THUD" all we saw was muddy swirls of wood chips. Something big down there though. Good thing we were only above an idle.

cornrickey
09-08-2014, 12:21 PM
I missed the part about the strut and shaft. I lost a shaft on my St. Insurance covered it all and then some since I saved them a bunch by doing it myself and I put on a dripless seal. Parts for a new prop, staft, strut bushing seal was about 1500 Insurance posted about 2k

BamaMojo
09-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Google skips propeller in charleston sc . Can repair about 130. Used them several times

2012 Mojo

SupraLaunch21V
09-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience on Jordan. I boat there too and I cringe when I have to boat after a hard rain when the trees and trash come in from the Haw River. Unfortunately, there are even some cut tree stumps in 15' of water and above, really crazy lake to boat in. Thanks for giving the location, that helps. I sent my prop to ProMarine in Greensboro, did a great job I think. Best of luck. Hope to see you out there next time. JY

kaneboats
09-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Google skips propeller in charleston sc . Can repair about 130. Used them several times
2012 Mojo

Take your prop off before you take it in. Have insurance replace it. Then send it to skip's for repair and you have your backup ready to go next time you have a minor event.

996scott
09-08-2014, 04:20 PM
Just had the exact thing happen this summer.

$400 shaft
$160 strut
$150 dripless seal
$500 new prop. Sent my damaged one to repair which cost $175 and looks brand new. Now I have a spare
$1100 labor
$500 or so in gel coat repair. I only had a tiny bit of spidering where the strut mounted. I didn't even see it but the dealer said if you are going to go through the insurance you might as well just do. The fiberglass guy looked at it and laughed saying he wouldn't waste the $ to fix something so small, but I said just do it since it wouldn't cost me anything.
went through the insurance and paid my $1000 deductible and they covered the rest. Good as new!

FFEMTP933
09-08-2014, 05:55 PM
We boat at Jordan all the time. I hate this happened to you and hope for a speedy repair and not much out of pocket. I've got a small ding in one blade and a small split in another blade from Jordan and didn't even realize we hit anything so I'm not sure where it was. Thanks also for the location, we will stay away from there.

garl.wilson
09-08-2014, 09:48 PM
I will do indeed.......Thanks for the info! I have a "future" brother in-law that has an 2009 LSV and he sent his prop off to there before too. I have heard good things about them thus far.

garl.wilson
09-08-2014, 09:49 PM
So you know the sickning feeling when you heard the sound then and the moment you finally seen it out of the water!! I am still sick over it!!

garl.wilson
09-08-2014, 11:56 PM
For all that want to see the raw video that was going when the strike happened.

http://youtu.be/qu92NDZ_GAg

Enjoy....it will be about halfway in the middle of the clip.

garl.wilson
09-08-2014, 11:57 PM
For all of those that want to see the raw gopro clip that I got when we had the strike.

Enjoy....LOL

garl.wilson
09-09-2014, 09:36 AM

Here is the raw video that was going when we hit. It should be just about the middle of the clip...just wait for the "bump."

bergermaister
09-09-2014, 12:50 PM
1:02... Ouch. :(

FFEMTP933
09-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Man that made me sick on the stomach watching. We normally put in at seaforth and a few weeks ago we rode over pass the dam and headed up towards stinky creek. There was a lot of sticks and small limbs floating from the hard rains a few days earlier. I had just told the wife and our crew I was turning around before we hit something. Got turned around heading back to the dam and all the sudden the whole boat started shacking. I immediately shut it down and started with the F bomb thinking I had just tore it up and we was a long way from the ramp. I got that sick feeling in my belly going oh shit this is gonna be bad!! I jumped in and swim under to feel the prop (I need to buy dive goggles, not that you could see in Jordan lake with them anyways). The prop felt fine other then the small ding already in it. Got back in and fired it up, slowly eased her into gear with no vibration. Slowly sped up still with no vibrations all the way to WO. Looked it over after loading at the end of the day with no noted damage. Only thing I can figure was I limb got in the prop and come out as soon as I shut it down.
I hate seeing post of prop strike and I always worry about it. I hope you get her fixed soon and hopeful we will run across y'all on Jordan one day (far away for underwater hazards)!!

SupraLaunch21V
09-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Wow. I've been extremely lucky with all of my boats, sad to see that video, but its all repairable. Easy for me to say I know. Hope to see everyone out at jordan sometimes though. I think I'm stil the only red Supra on the lake still.

BTW, we're having a small event on Ebenezer Pt Sept 21st Sunday in the afternoon. Should be some boats anchored on the beach, come on by for a bite to eat and watch some skiing if you can make it! JY

FFEMTP933
09-09-2014, 03:27 PM
Wow. I've been extremely lucky with all of my boats, sad to see that video, but its all repairable. Easy for me to say I know. Hope to see everyone out at jordan sometimes though. I think I'm stil the only red Supra on the lake still.

BTW, we're having a small event on Ebenezer Pt Sept 21st Sunday in the afternoon. Should be some boats anchored on the beach, come on by for a bite to eat and watch some skiing if you can make it! JY

Darn man, we will be out of the state that weekend. If we weren't, we'd stop by to at least meet another forum member (and of corse EAT lol). Hope y'all have a great time and be safe.

996scott
09-09-2014, 04:06 PM
Dang that makes me sick to see/hear/feel that. Been there and done that unfortunately. The shop will get it back to new again and you will be good to go. Good luck.

garl.wilson
09-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Man that made me sick on the stomach watching. We normally put in at seaforth and a few weeks ago we rode over pass the dam and headed up towards stinky creek. There was a lot of sticks and small limbs floating from the hard rains a few days earlier. I had just told the wife and our crew I was turning around before we hit something. Got turned around heading back to the dam and all the sudden the whole boat started shacking. I immediately shut it down and started with the F bomb thinking I had just tore it up and we was a long way from the ramp. I got that sick feeling in my belly going oh shit this is gonna be bad!! I jumped in and swim under to feel the prop (I need to buy dive goggles, not that you could see in Jordan lake with them anyways). The prop felt fine other then the small ding already in it. Got back in and fired it up, slowly eased her into gear with no vibration. Slowly sped up still with no vibrations all the way to WO. Looked it over after loading at the end of the day with no noted damage. Only thing I can figure was I limb got in the prop and come out as soon as I shut it down.
I hate seeing post of prop strike and I always worry about it. I hope you get her fixed soon and hopeful we will run across y'all on Jordan one day (far away for underwater hazards)!!

Yeah Todd.....pretty much the same feeling, but just not the happy ending for me! LOL. Yeah I always put in at Poe ramp / B. Evertt damn and head up to "party cove" normally. I have been to this cove that I had the strike in before but never...and I mean never have seen any logs floating there and I always see skis and boats going WO in there. I really would like to report the spot to the park service or some that would check it out and consider marking it as a hazard, but I I don't know how good it would do.

I mean for something that soild to lift my boat and jack up my boat that bad I would think it would warrent being considered. As for running across you this year / fall idk if I will even have it fixed in time, but yeah we will have to try and link up if so or worse case next spring for sure. I normally try to gather a few buddys of mine and we roll into Jordan and chill normally with our ladies, but here lately I have just been going out on Sundays. If I come out I will be a passenger on someones boat, so you know what that means. :cool:

garl.wilson
09-09-2014, 10:12 PM
Dang that makes me sick to see/hear/feel that. Been there and done that unfortunately. The shop will get it back to new again and you will be good to go. Good luck.

Yeah they will, but I guess the best part is that it is at the end of the seasson or near the end at least. I am just not looking forwad to the $$$ because I was with Skisafe insurance and they are being a pain and giving me a runn around saying that I was "out of my coverage months." I am not a happy camper with them right now.

garl.wilson
09-09-2014, 10:16 PM

Sounds like a good time, but I am sure my boat will be apart still that week or just getting put back together. I will have to try and get out there with one of my buddies and his dirty nasty "non-moomba" boat. It would be nice to be a passenger for a change on someone elses boat, but I am sure I am still going to be upset that my boat will not be there.

Keep me posted and I will try and make it for sure.

garl.wilson
09-30-2014, 10:13 PM
Well.....I finally have my boat fixed and hopefully back out on the water next weekend. TOTAL BILL: $3047.58. + LESSON LEARNED = PRICELESS.

uniwarking
09-30-2014, 11:22 PM
Glad to hear you're back on the water, never like to see people go through that kind of thing. Worst part is it can happen anywhere at anytime! Enjoy the rest of the season!

Boatdrinks797
10-01-2014, 12:55 AM
Lesson learned for everyone.....that's what happens when you pull a tube!

garl.wilson
10-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Fact!.....I have had prop strikes before, but that was normally expected because I was in my duck boat and we were running in the swamps, but not in open water and 18 feet of water. In the end all is good and sadly someone else has hit the same tree after visiting the place last weekend. I am sure that there will be revenge on that particular tree in the near future for sure. At this rate I am guess it could be valued at a easy 10K tree. LOL

murraymoomba
10-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Come on over to lake tillery. A lot cleaner water than Jordan.

spyder
10-01-2014, 11:56 AM
Fact!.....I have had prop strikes before, but that was normally expected because I was in my duck boat and we were running in the swamps, but not in open water and 18 feet of water. In the end all is good and sadly someone else has hit the same tree after visiting the place last weekend. I am sure that there will be revenge on that particular tree in the near future for sure. At this rate I am guess it could be valued at a easy 10K tree. LOL

is it a solid stump or something floating below surface? is it marked now? seems very unsafe

bergermaister
10-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Seriously. Sounds like a spot for a guy to go do some spotting or maybe go with a fishing boat and fish finder - find that sucker and mark it with some floats. Aside from the $$ you may save someone's life.

garl.wilson
10-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Fact.....it was already marked last weekend when I went out with my buddy. I plan to go back and take a saw and a mask and get to work on it. At that price I am going to make a trophy out of it with my bent shaft and prop.

You are right about saving someones life. Like I said when we went back someone had already marked it with some life jackets to let people know there was something submerged under the water.

garl.wilson
10-01-2014, 05:46 PM
It was a tree submerged under the water apparently and I never seen it even when I did my "drugging pass" before we started having fun. I have seen many boats using that channel too in the past, but I always do my drugging passes before I start to ski. It was just my time I guess.

garl.wilson
10-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Sounds good...I bunch of us want to get together and come over that way and camp and just cut up on the water. Next season we will have to link up and check it out.

bergermaister
10-01-2014, 06:26 PM
On our river when the water gets low enough part of a sunken barge is visible under the surface up near an island we frequent. The part that sticks up just to the surface are the 2x2 timbers that used to be the deck. Like 2ft x 2ft! The rest extends deeper out into the channel. Spooky to even look at it. While back I sacrificed one of my bumpers and tied off to it and left it there to save someone some grief - or worse. A week later the bumper was gone and had been replaced by a couple of 2 liter bottles but still on the rope I had used. Apparently someone really wanted that bumper but oh well, at least it was still marked!

garl.wilson
10-01-2014, 10:25 PM
On our river when the water gets low enough part of a sunken barge is visible under the surface up near an island we frequent. The part that sticks up just to the surface are the 2x2 timbers that used to be the deck. Like 2ft x 2ft! The rest extends deeper out into the channel. Spooky to even look at it. While back I sacrificed one of my bumpers and tied off to it and left it there to save someone some grief - or worse. A week later the bumper was gone and had been replaced by a couple of 2 liter bottles but still on the rope I had used. Apparently someone really wanted that bumper but oh well, at least it was still marked!

Nice!!....haha....that seems about right, but at least they kept it marked for others.