PDA

View Full Version : 22" Draft - What does it really mean?

santa
05-02-2006, 12:49 PM
I asked the following question on another Message board, but couldn't get an answer:

The owners' manual for my 04 Mobius LS says it needs 22" draft. Would that mean without any people or weight in it, or fully weighted at legal capacity.

smokedog2
05-02-2006, 01:40 PM
At rest or at full speed? Slow speed? Weight front or back? Wt. on the swim platform?

trim tab up or down? warm or cold water? with or without waves? Salt or fresh water?

Are you familiar with the saying - measure with a micrometer, mark it with chalk and cut it with an ax?

Boats play best in the deep end, otherwise Elmer:

Be very, very quiet - you are hunting props.

SD2

In my defense I'm working on corporate books today - just shoot me.

santa
05-02-2006, 03:17 PM
It shows...

carsondoc
05-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Santa, I typically try to stay in at least 3 feet of water. That should keep you covered for practical purposes.

With that said, I don't know how the industry typically determines draft. Maybe one of the tech guys at SC can answer.

Wolf-
05-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by carsondoc
Santa, I typically try to stay in at least 3 feet of water. That should keep you covered for practical purposes.

With that said, I don't know how the industry typically determines draft. Maybe one of the tech guys at SC can answer.

I set my low depth alarm to 5 feet. Sure, its over kill, but an annoying beep is better than a $400 prop, $1200 shaft installation, and a month out of water.

pullmyfingers
05-02-2006, 10:41 PM
I had to chime in on this one. If you look at your boat when no one is in it and it is sitting still by the dock, the swim platform rests slightly above the water. If you look at your boat by the dock when it is full of people and other stuff the swim platform is still slightly above the water. Therefore, I think it is safe to say that the draft- whatever that means- is a little less than two feet when the boat is still. My guess is that at slow speeds the draft will be more but I refuse to test that because I don't have an extra prop or $400.