PDA

View Full Version : Ronix Koal Fin Removal?

tgoody14
09-05-2014, 09:20 AM
I have the 2012 Ronix Koal and I remember a lot of guys from the forum having or rode this board.

I'm curious if you guys ever played with the fins to change up the ride?

Remove the center fin? Or the outside fins? What are the pros and cons? Any faster? Less control? Better air?

Thoughts?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/05/7uhazu5u.jpg

kaneboats
09-05-2014, 11:04 AM
I don't have this board but the clunky Broadcast got a lot more fun when we removed the center fin and left the two outside ones. It was a little better with just the center one but we found that going with just the two outer ones was even better.

parrothd
09-05-2014, 11:23 AM
I have this one and a cove.

Try ridding it backwards, without the fin you really have to edge to control the board. It's the same as wakeboarding without a center fin, you really have to work on your edges...

parrothd
09-05-2014, 11:28 AM
I wonder if you can even ride that koal backwards? Probably not, be interesting... lol...

sandm
09-05-2014, 11:58 AM
removed center here upon receipt. won't put it back. seemed to make the board easier to ride imo.

trayson
09-05-2014, 12:19 PM
I have the 2012 Ronix Koal and I remember a lot of guys from the forum having or rode this board.

I'm curious if you guys ever played with the fins to change up the ride?

Remove the center fin? Or the outside fins? What are the pros and cons? Any faster? Less control? Better air?

Thoughts?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/05/7uhazu5u.jpg

I had a very similar board, the Koal Illuminati. Removing the center fin made it a little bit looser. more fun to ride, a smidge faster. it lost a tiny bit of "grip" on the wave from obviously less fins digging in, but it's such a stable board there's really no big loss in removing the center.

I never tried it center only. just 3 vs. 2. I sold the board a few weeks ago to put money into my "Doomswell" fund.

tgoody14
09-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Awesome info! Thanks guys. I'll start with removing the center. It's been a great board the past two years tho.

I think I'm just wanting to get a little faster so I can get a little more air, but may have to make the plunge into the next level boards

parrothd
09-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Faster? I only have a small center fin, doubt it makes it faster, looser yes. You probably need to learn how the pump the board if you want faster and higher..

bergermaister
09-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Doesn't look like FCS style fins? Hmmmmm. Was going to suggest going with something taller like a thruster but not finding anything that would work I don't think. Swore I saw some on eBay but turns out they are FCS.