PDA

View Full Version : Engine stopped and wont restart

gscharf
09-02-2014, 10:55 AM
We were out last weekend and our 13 OBV (70 hrs) left us stranded. We had just finished up a set and as they came back to pick me up the motor stopped. Boat cranks over but nothing.

Checked the teather main fuse and the fuel pump fuses on the motor all ok. When i turn the key on i hear the fuel pump running. Not sure if it priming. Fuel was at 1/2 tank. Unless my guage is really off i can say we still have about that in the tank.

Still under warranty i plan on taking it down to the dealer. But if i could find the problem and avoid the 170 mile one way trip that would be best.

Any ideas?

sivs1
09-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Sounds like Vapor Lock. Try to start it now, if it starts right up that could be the issue.

gscharf
09-02-2014, 07:09 PM
It sat for almost an hr and a half while we got the trailer. The engine temp was down to under 100. I tried again with no luck. I know vapor lock makes it hard starting but would it cause it to stall out in the first place?

KSmith
09-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Not likely vapor lock. The 2009 and newer OBV has the fuel pump in the tank. Clogged fuel filter perhaps but only 70 hours seems unlikely. Good luck and let us know what the findings are.

ninedriver
09-03-2014, 10:59 AM
It shouldn't stall out from vapor lock.
Could be any number of things. Try removing and installing the tether a few times to make sure emergency cutoff isn't acting up. Could be faulty ignition switch. May want to make sure you have gas in it as fuel gagues have been known to lie. Not sure on your engine, but some have a red breaker on a small panel on the forward facing end of the motor that may have tripped. There's a few other sensors that have to be met before the computer allows ignition. So, if you have gas in the boat, and the fuel pump comes on to prime, you may want to pull a plug and check for spark when attempting to crank.
I think there's some other threads on here for engine failing to start that may offer some more detail and suggestions.
Whatever the case, keep us posted on what u find out.

bzubke1
09-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Make sure you have gas in the tank not just checking the gauge. I know it sounds stupid but I had a similar problem where it died and wouldn't start. Well the gas gauge was off. It Showed 3/4 of a tank but was bone dry.

gscharf
09-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Any issues with the gas filler spaying full out when it is not full. I had put 20 gallons in to top it off and we ran the boat for 3 hrs. So even if that was the case i find it highly unlikely. The boat is at our cabin so i cant check on it right now. I will be taking the boat in so i will let you guys know what we find. Hope its simple.

gscharf
09-13-2014, 06:46 PM
Had to dealer. I had 180 lbs compression at each cylinder, spark, and fuel but still nothing. They have been in contact with indmar for more troubleshooting. But based on what we have we should be firing. Hopefully i will find out more next week. Any thoughts.

smokedog2
09-18-2014, 09:13 PM
kill switch.

gscharf
09-20-2014, 06:45 AM
Kill switch disengages the starter so thats not the issue. It turns over but will not run.

sandm
09-20-2014, 08:20 AM
throttle in neutral?

gscharf
09-20-2014, 09:12 PM
It was a coil and ignition issue. I will ask more details when i pick it up in october.