PDA

View Full Version : Searching for a new boat...Need a little advice....

Kidder522
09-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Hey everyone,

I just sold my 03 Outback and now I am in the process of finding a replacement. There are a couple of boats that I am looking at LSV and XLV, and would like some information on both, since I am going from the DD to a Vdrive. I have a family of 4, but we host people on our boat, so having a Vdrive eliminates the motor. My questions are:
How big is the XLV.....is it a beast, where my wife and I can't handle it like a LSV or other 21 footer
Are the wakes substantially different....I am a life time ski bum, and is my wife and kids, but wakeboarding and surfing is on the the list in the future.
Gas, does the XLV use more due to its size difference

they are both 2007's, and in my upper price range, so I don't want to buy a boat that doesn't fit our family..

Thanks for your advice and insight.

Richard.

sandm
09-01-2014, 01:52 PM
people with a lot more insight and ownership of both should chime in, but if boarding/surfing is on the plate, I'd say buy the biggest boat you can get. xlv will be the better wakesurf/wakeboard boat at the expense of a ski wake. lsv will be a better ski boat but won't have the same board/surf wake. all depends on whether you are interested in course skiing or recreational and what the family will gravitate toward long term. don't think you'll be disappointed in either.
not a skier so my choice would be xlv all day long. the '07 lsv's have a somewhat shallow freeboard compared to a similar year xlv.

all my .02

good luck with shopping..

996scott
09-01-2014, 04:13 PM
I have a 07 lsv and my friend has a 08 xlv. Here is my take. we are both skiers, no course but we ski hard. My lsv is a smaller/better wake for skiing for sure. With the right weight/ballast we can get a nice wave for surfing without any problem. The only advantage his xlv has is room. If you are looking for space to take a lot of people, 9,10,11, then the xlv will be better. There is a noticeable size difference between the two boats for me. Both are great boats.

patrick232
09-01-2014, 07:05 PM
We owned a 2007 XLV for seasons 08, 09, and 10. She's a pig when full with ballest and the 325hp but got the job done.
Pros deep and plenty of room for everone.
We had a 2006 LSV for seasons 12 and 13, performance with 325 HP, much better with same prop. Con's lower freeboard rougher ride when chop. Pros fit in garage could detail in a couple of hours.
Currently have 2014 Mondo rides like the XLV in the chop performs like the LSV when full with ballest and fits in garage. Depending on the lake I would take the XLV if a choppy lake. If not goe with the one with the best price and condition.

Kidder522
09-06-2014, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the insight. I have my sights on a 2007 LSV. I think the smaller boat will be more manageable for us. I'm still a skier at heart, so the xlv might eliminate that. Like the option of surfing, and having all the seating.

Thanks guys.

Richard.

Gqjeff
09-07-2014, 02:46 AM
How much did you get for the outback and how many hrs did it have?

Thanks

Kidder522
09-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Got 19300 canadian with 557 hours. Loved the boat, but got a little tired of the engine in the middle. Also, tubing and skiing cuts off 1/2 the boats seating, so taking friends out puts everyone in the bow. Looking forward to see what the Vdrive offers.

kaneboats
09-08-2014, 11:05 AM
You would be happy with either one. I drove and XLV and was surprised that it seemed to drive just like the LSV. I do think you really have be moving (like 22 mph) to clean up the wake on the XLV- not so much for the LSV. LSV might be better for learning if your kids are small. You can ski the LSV pretty well too and it is pretty easy to make a nice surf wake. The XLV does have more room if you are taking 10 plus people though.