PDA

View Full Version : Importance of a "ski" rope for newbies???

trayson
08-28-2014, 03:35 PM
How important is it for me to have a dedicated "water ski" rope? I'm basically a beginner on the slalom.

This is the rope I've been using. it's my "spare" cheap-o rope.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/20961573?w...896632&veh=sem

http://www.airhead.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/270x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/A/H/AHWR-6.jpg

Obviously, I know that true comp skiers use a stretchy rope that will allow them to get that last couple inches to the bouy. But that's not me...

So how important is the rope in the equation?

gregski
08-28-2014, 04:02 PM
It's not that important. The biggest difference in my opinion is the handle. Cheap handles feel bendy and squishy to me. Other than that, it's "nice to have" all of the different take off sections of a ski rope to find the sweet spot of the wake crossing or just to try different lengths but this isn't a big deal for a beginner - this becomes more critical in a course.

PatL
08-28-2014, 06:25 PM
Concur with Greg. Not a big issue at all. The "nice to have" part for your situation would be ability to shorten the rope to 22 off when skiing from the tow eye. I really don't see that as a big deal at all.

cornrickey
08-29-2014, 01:45 AM
I don't think "cheap" is as important as a specific ski/slalom rope compared to a no stretch wakeboard rope. Using a no stretch rope for slalom is a little dangerous.

zabooda
08-29-2014, 03:07 AM
Also, you may have a guest who skis also and it is nice to hand them a rope they are familiar with.

trayson
08-29-2014, 11:49 AM
I don't think "cheap" is as important as a specific ski/slalom rope compared to a no stretch wakeboard rope. Using a no stretch rope for slalom is a little dangerous.

Excuse my ignorance, but why? what's dangerous about it? I'm really trying to envision what could go wrong...

tnbrooks01
09-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but why? what's dangerous about it? I'm really trying to envision what could go wrong...

The wakeboard line will slack instead of stretch so when you make your cut back across the wake the boat will pull the slack back out of the line really quickly and will take your shoulders with it.

cornrickey
09-02-2014, 01:14 AM
Yup, when you grow up slalom skiing with a dynamic rope then use a wakeboard (static) rope there is no loading of the rope on the cut and accelerating over the wake. You just (in my experience) launch over the front of the ski and land on your face @ speed. It's about as much fun as using a dynamic rope wakeboarding

trayson
09-02-2014, 01:40 AM
Thanks! Good to know.

iwaterskihard
09-22-2014, 07:09 PM
Yup, when you grow up slalom skiing with a dynamic rope then use a wakeboard (static) rope there is no loading of the rope on the cut and accelerating over the wake. You just (in my experience) launch over the front of the ski and land on your face @ speed. It's about as much fun as using a dynamic rope wakeboarding

You only launch out the front of the ski if you're not in proper position no matter what rope you're using. A slalom rope doesn't stretch that much either. Otherwise taller and heavier skiers would gain an advantage in competitive skiing. A good slalom line that won't stretch without a handle is $100.00 or more..

Concentrate more on your body position when the line does load. Get the handle down in front of your hips, get stacked properly with shoulders square and hips up front and ride that angle right through BOTH wakes before you stand and initiate your next turn.

iwaterskihard
09-22-2014, 07:10 PM
oh ya time for me to take some of my own advice and get outside and do a set or two? :)