PDA

View Full Version : all my gauges just quit

yzblue125
05-01-2006, 02:11 PM
2000 Moomba MObius l/s at first my guages world periodically shut off and come back on, now they all quit Tach, o/p everythiiing except the hour gauge, when i turn the key on they make that noise and wiggle a little bit but thats it. any ideas? Thanks:p

NH Moomba
05-01-2006, 03:16 PM
It looks like you have the same problem that many people in the year 2000 had. The Medallion MDC 1600 controller has a known problem. Search on this site and you will find some discussion regarding this problem. You can buy it through your Moomba dealer or strait from Medallion Instruments. I think I posted a link to them a while ago. This problem is not just a Moomba problem, other brands also used the same controller. I will be buying a new one as well. There was a posting on here from a user named guageman who said you could run power and ground right from the battery to fix the problem but it was unclear if he meant strait from the battery terminals and he didn't specify which pins were power and ground. I could figure it out but hate hacked up wiring so I am going just eat the 300 bucks and order a new one. On my 2000 Outback LS, it is in the ski locker behind a carpeted panel and mounted to the stern.

One other possible problem is that the circuit board behind your switch panel is loose or corroded.

06-08-2006, 11:19 AM
YZBlue125 - have you been able to fix your problem?

I just ran into something similiar this weekend. All of my gauges have worked in the past - (the speedo was unreliable though) and I used the RPM gauge to determine wakeboard speed. It quit on me a few times. The other gauge was fine - a cluster gauge with oil/engine temp/fuel etc. Also - the hour meter on the RPM gauge is OK.

It would work once in a while - but mostly no luck... Most of my friends are pretty inexperienced drivers and I got terrible pulls all weekend.
Just wondering what you did - if you fixed your problem

thanks!

06-08-2006, 11:19 AM
YZBlue125 - have you been able to fix your problem?

I just ran into something similiar this weekend. All of my gauges have worked in the past - (the speedo was unreliable though) and I used the RPM gauge to determine wakeboard speed. It quit on me a few times. The other gauge was fine - a cluster gauge with oil/engine temp/fuel etc. Also - the hour meter on the RPM gauge is OK.

It would work once in a while - but mostly no luck... Most of my friends are pretty inexperienced drivers and I got terrible pulls all weekend.
Just wondering what you did - if you fixed your problem

thanks!

EUSTACE
06-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Try this,

I have had this happen before in rough water.

If you look under the dash behind your switches you will find a circuit board. It is basically in two pieces and what probably happened is that the smaller section has pulled off or loosened up on the stabs on the back of the main board.

Work it back on the stabs gently you do not want to flex either one of those board too much, and you should be back in business.

I used a tiny bungee cord to hold the setup together and haven’t had an issue since

Good luck, E