PDA

View Full Version : First Day Out

gotmyboat
05-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Spring has finally come to Reno. A huge snowpack assures full (but cold) lakes this summer. I finally put my new Outback in the water, and what a great time it was. Purchased the boat in Feb. and have been waiting patiently (trying) to get it in the water. What an awesome boat. Smooth runner with tons of power. I'm a big guy and am used to being pulled by a 5L Bayliner on my slalom ski. No submarine starts on this boat. Even with 3 adults and 3 kids on the boat that 325 horses 'bout pulled my arms off.
My wife , who has been nervous about her new driving duties, refused to give up the wheel. She had a blast, but did managed to take a big wake over the bow and get her Mom wet
:) . Now I am sitting here at work, wishing I was on the lake.

Dave

Smrtz
05-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Hey dave sounds awesome.. lots of that day dreamin goin on about now!!

any idea what the water temps are in your area?

gotmyboat
05-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Depends on the lake. I was on Lahontan Res. yesterday and it was mid 60's. It is a relatively shallow lake in the high desert so the top layer warms up pretty quick. My favorite lakes are still snowed in (in the Sierras.) It should be 80 again today, so the snow should melt pretty quick.
Memorial day last year I hit Stampede Res. (a Sierra lake) at 7am. Water temp was low 50's, air temp low 40's, no wetsuit. Good thing I still had some winter blubber on. After 5 minutes, my hands were stuck in a permanent claw. The water was smooth so all in all it was a good morning.
As much as I love my boat, my favorite place to be is behind it!!

What kind of temps do you have in your locale?

Smrtz
05-01-2006, 12:55 PM
You may have read my boat is still stuck in storage but Ill have it for this comming weekend. Water temps are between 48 and 54 right now.. on the news this weekend a canoe flipped and the guy died of hypothermia just down river from where I go..

Im with you on the favorite place to be being behind the boat..and forsure a wetsuit and good neoprene lifejacket is enough even with those cold temps... and its extra incentive not to fall too..

gotmyboat
05-01-2006, 01:31 PM
That's right, I've been reading that thread. I'm an easy going guy, but that situation would push me over the edge. It's one of the few things that might make me go postal.
Is there any news on when you will have your boat? I think you should start charging them rental fees for the use of your boat. Around here they get $375 for a half day. That should help offset your storage fees.

Dave

Smrtz
05-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Not a bad idea... 2 days and my storage would be covered... funny thing is it isnt like its up on a shelf somewhere its on the trailor in a warehouse style building at a fair ground near by!

oh well next year I will ask to have it back last week of Febuary that way I know i will have it by june 01

Wolf-
05-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by gotmyboat
I finally put my new Outback in the water, and what a great time it was. Purchased the boat in Feb. and have been waiting patiently (trying) to get it in the water. What an awesome boat. Smooth runner with tons of power. I'm a big guy and am used to being pulled by a 5L Bayliner on my slalom ski. No submarine starts on this boat. Even with 3 adults and 3 kids on the boat that 325 horses 'bout pulled my arms off.
My wife , who has been nervous about her new driving duties, refused to give up the wheel. She had a blast, but did managed to take a big wake over the bow and get her Mom wet
:) . Now I am sitting here at work, wishing I was on the lake.

Dave

Dave,

Welcome to the family. I'm coming from a little 4 cyl bayliner. Man, what a difference.
As for the water over the bow, I use it to make the kids behave. "Settle down, or I'll wash you all, got it??" j/k

During delivery I couldn't get my wife out from behind the wheel. She loves the tilt steering and the over all comfort of the helm.