PDA

View Full Version : Light transmission whine after hitting rock with prop

Lake Rat
08-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Hey guys need some Help!!:-o

A couple weeks ago I hit, what seemed to be a rock with my prop (2004 DD LS). After we hit the rock their was obviously a vibration increasing with higher speeds so we just idled around the lake the rest of the day, not very long and haven't driven it since.

Anyways, I took the boat out of the water yesterday (at idle speeds) to take the prop off and noticed a slight whining noise coming from the transmission that I haven't noticed before. Also, the rope seal is leaking a lot more than it was before we hit the prop.

Do you guys think my transmission has damage from the vibrations or do you think the noise will go away once I get the new prop on and everything else checks out fine?

I'm going to put my dial indicator on the shaft, check mounts and shaft alignment and strut with the new prop. If everything is OK should I still have a slight whine or is this not going to end well?

All fluids are good, clean, no leaks and still getting positive pressure from the transmission when removing the plug.

kaneboats
08-26-2014, 01:43 PM
You probably bent the shaft.

zabooda
08-26-2014, 01:44 PM
I think the shaft is bent and repairing it will take the strain off the tranny.