PDA

View Full Version : Moomba boats?

jonnas111
08-21-2014, 11:16 AM
I am looking for a wakeboard/ski boat and i can across Moomba boats. It seems they are much cheaper than a Malabu or Ski Nautique, but is that quality of the boat suspect? I was looking to spend about 25K on a used boat and i and finding that i could get around a 2005 moomba or a 2000 malibu or nautique. Does anyone have any thoughts feeling concerns or words about moomba? What do you think would be a better choice newer cheap brand or older name brand?http://tiny.tw/3mih

bergermaister
08-21-2014, 01:49 PM
On a moomba forum you will find mostly PRO moomba owners. Comparing to a Malibu or Nautique year for year is not necessarily apples to apples with the moomba brand as you are comparing the value proposition boat to a more luxury offering. What matters to you? Bling and bells and whistles or performance and usability? Moomba is certainly not cheap - but may not include some of the offerings you will find on other brands. You really need to test drive, climb around, try all the controls, and ride behind them to make a fair comparison.

sivs1
08-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Is this your first boat? Wake boat? I had followed the Moomba brand since the mid 90's and never owned one until this year. I have friends with MC and Malibu boats and can honestly tell you the difference in performance doesn't exist. I'll go out on the MC one day then the next on my LSV and prefer my LSV over his X9. Take a look at as many options as you can and then narrow down the field to test drive a few. For me I do not see a need to pay the 10-20k premium to get a MC, Malibu or Nautique. I think of Moomba as a Name Brand, it's just designed to be a value boat.

Where are you located, I am sure someone on here would be willing to take you out on their Moomba if you are close by.

saskyrider
08-21-2014, 03:40 PM
I would highly recommend looking for a 2006 or newer LSV which might stretch your budget a little. there was a hull design change in 06 and it is very much improved. Now i had an 05 LSv and i loved it (was my first tow boat) and we surfed all the time behind it but i am mainly surfing and we had to run lots of weight to achieve the wave i wanted.

Moomba is a great quality boat... what comes to mind for me is the following

"everything your truly need and nothing you don't!" It doesn't have the bells and whistles that some of the other brands have or quite as much "bling" but i'm way more concerned about how the boat performs than anyting else...

valleywine
08-21-2014, 07:14 PM
I used to have a Nautique direct drive. It was a great boat. I recently bought an 06 moomba outback v because I wanted a hybrid style boat so the kids could wakeboard, knee board, surf, wake skate, yet still have the ability to water ski. Mine came with a brand new engine. Previous owners shop messed something up while winterizing it I guess. Anyway, the reliability of a fuel injected engine is a must. It provides our family with everything we desire. No it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles as some of the higher end boats, but boats depreciate greatly and I didn't want to find myself in a money pit. I have a buddy w/ a newer Tige and his boat is awesome, but he paid 3 times what I did and they basically do the same thing. I'd get something newer rather than older w/ more options. A lot of things you can upgrade w/ the help of very informative forum boat monkeys. Someone has done what you want to do and can steer you in the right direction. My $.02.

parrothd
08-21-2014, 07:14 PM
There's a 06 lsv for sale in the classified for 23$?

samvq1
08-21-2014, 11:49 PM
In the used market, it's all about condition. Once you decide what options are important, look for the boat (Not brand) that fits your needs. I've only owned a Moomba for a short time but I am more than happy with the performance and dealer support.

kaneboats
08-22-2014, 09:49 AM
Ask yourself if you would rather maintain a 6-10 year old Chevy or Lincoln. I like the simplicity and price point of the Chevy. Now there's nothing like a brand new Lincoln but there's a lot more stuff to break on them as they age.

WFO
08-25-2014, 08:37 PM
From the research that I did when I was looking at a new boat.

I had a carbureted motor so I knew that I wasn't going to settle for anything less than EFI. I tow my boat to different places ranging from sea level to 6800ft above sea level. Not having to bring jets and not having to worry about flooding is my main reasons for EFI. EFI fuel Eco is way better than carb Eco for the same size engine.

Options... Now, I am a sucker for the bells and whistles. The "simplicity" of "push button wakes" and "rider memory" is a great thing as long as two things happen. 1) You go through the training course to operate it and 2) IT NEVER BREAKS!! Number 2 is not likely to happen because electronics and water don't mix and no matter how well you protect stuff from water intrusion time + water = dead electronics. Moomba is and has always been a company that centers their design effort on simplicity because simplicity = usability and longevity (usually). I'm a mechanical engineer and I am a huge proponent of smaller numbers if things to break.

So, like what has been said before. Buy what you want and be willing to accept the good and bad with what you choose because it if your fault if you buy the wrong thing. Oh, and do not rush into a decision. Unless there is a slamming deal on the boat of your dreams then rush away. :)

A down and dirty analogy that I feel is pretty true. This is my opinion and take it as you will and this doesn't include every maker out there.

Ski Nautique ~ Rolls Royce Top of the line fit, finish, and options but not necessarily the best performer

MasterCraft ~ Bentley Top of the line fit, finish, and options and a damn good performer

Malibu ~ BMW Great fit, finish, and options and pretty good performance

Tige ~ Mercedes Great fit, finish, and options and pretty good performance

Centurion ~ Dodge great performance but poor fit and finish and okay options

Supra ~ Cadillac Really good fit and finish and pretty good options and great performance

Moomba ~ Chevrolet Really good fit and finish and okay options and great performance. (Supra minus frills)

Axis ~ Volkswagen Good performer and decent fit, finish and good performance (Malibu minus frills)

Epic ~ Yugo that Xzibit has pimped Nuf Said

MB ~ Ford good fit, finish, and options good performance.

I know there are others out there but those were the ones I physically touched when shopping.

The reason I settled on the LSV is because it is probably the best all around boat and I am no pro looking for the nuances that can get me a couple more inches out of my jumps. However, it is a damn good surf boat and a damn good wakeboard boat.

My $0.02. Who am I kidding that was more like $0.50. :)

Using Tapatalk on my Aye-phone