PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a ski. I'm still pretty much a newb, & the hand-me-down isn't right

trayson
08-17-2014, 01:51 AM
Okay, so back a LONG time ago in my 20's, I was able to finally get up on a Slalom ski for the first time. for the next handful of years, I'd get out on a slalom ski a few times a year. I wasn't ever really great at it, but I could typically deep water start on the 1st or 2nd pull. And I could cut around and enjoy being up on one ski. I never got to the point where I could cut a turn or anything like that. Just a recreational skier.

So fast forward to now and I'm 42 and have had my boat about a year and a half. I've only pulled a ski out a few times since I've owned the boat. The first time was a failure and I took a zillion pulls without success. I later found out that I was doing a lot wrong after re-educating myself on how to deep water start. After leaning my shoulders back and looking up at the horizon, I was able to get up again, and went for a good ride.

So, today, I throw the ski on again (it's a hand me down 69 Connley Legend) and after a few pulls, I'm up. Then down. Then up again and took a nice long ride. I felt like a total newb in that I was flat out not comfortable on the ski. I didn't feel like I had much if any control. About all I was comfortable doing was being pulled straight and crossing from the center to the outside of the wake a few times...

I have a 92 supra sunsport direct drive, so it's not the best slalom wake ever made, but it's certainly better than most v-drives.

I'm thinking that I would do better on a different ski. My guess is that the Connley is probably too aggressive for me and I need something that I can cruise around on and get to the point where I can cut it up a little. I need some stability and confidence from a ski. And something comfortable would be nice too.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--x25XK-wk94/UivA7cQku7I/AAAAAAAAO64/qVqul81Q5kE/s800/20130907_170928.jpg

I hate an open back foot, so a full double highback is a must in my book. I've also seen the advances in bindings with laces and all, so I'd be HAPPY to get rid of the stuffing the foot into an old school binding as my foot cramps up!

Of course, my budget is basically nothing! So that doesn't help. But hey, it doesn't hurt to gather info and do a little research in case I can find something used that might do the trick.

For what it's worth, I'm 5'10 and 169 pounds and my feet are small--a men's size 7.

Anyway, I'd love any guidance you all could give. I'm great about searching out stuff on Ebay and CL, as long as I know what to look for...

Thanks, and here's a shot from this morning:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ddksdQ6wZo0/U_AI34aHDEI/AAAAAAAARY0/adZpyyR23-M/s800/GOPR0286_1408211507807_high.JPG

trayson
08-17-2014, 02:09 AM
And for your viewing pleasure, here's a vid of my run today, looking like a big NEWB, complete with a nice crash at the end...

http://youtu.be/wD5trntbJhI

maxpower220
08-17-2014, 09:35 AM
I have a "boat" slalom ski, a Connelly Pilot. It is a super big slalom ski with a shape. It is almost as big as a wakeboard. However, it is amazingly easy to get up on. It allows the skier to ski at speeds as low as 23-34 mph. At slow speeds (26) you could run the slalom course. I have gotten a lot of people up on it how don't normally slalom ski.

Connelly also makes (made) a ski called the FX. It is a shaped ski and it is slightly bigger than most comp skis. It skis really nice and falls into turns. The wider tail aids on starts. Probably a little harder to find and more expensive.

You should be able to find one on ebay or Overtons fairly cheap.

valleywine
08-17-2014, 10:25 AM
We have something similar to maxpower220. It's an old Maha with a really fat tail. It almost looks like a jumping ski. Don't ski anymore so it's in the attic but I remember it used to do the trick getting people out of the water. It doesn't perform like a high end slalom ski but it has a purpose.

Another thing to consider is weight. I have an HO which is really heavy and a Kidder which is really light. The HO is harder to get up on but it really slices through the wake or any rough water where the Kidder is a little more "Darty" in the water.

I'd just get a junker that's easy enough to get up on and still has some performance, then jump into something a little more sporty when your ready.

Looking at your video....I used to grip the handle over/under. Not sure if that's right or just my preference but I think you may feel a little more stable that way. Your best turns will come from carving them so when you go outside the wake your actually starting the turn before your all the way out, then cut across the wake and do the same on the other side. Turns are a lot easier and effective this way. My $.02. Looks fun. I'm afraid my arms will come off if I tried skiing again. It's been 5-6 yrs.

Beejwest
08-17-2014, 07:25 PM
Couldn't tell from the vid, but do you ski right or left foot forward? Some things I've noticed when I ski that help are foot and rope postion. Having the rope mounted on the pylon instead of the wake tower helps tremendously. The tower puts the rope too high when you cut, and throw you off the proper balance. If you are right foot forward put the rope on the left side of the ski when you start, as it tends to pull you the correct direction. I also use a pistol grip on the rope instead of a "palm down" wakeboard grip. I use left hand palm up with right foot forward through the whole ride. You'll also be leaning back further on a slalom than you do with most other board sports, which feels abnormal until it clicks. Speed is also pretty important as IMO, the slower you are, the more difficult a slalom is to ride. I normally free ski between 31 and 34 depending on the water. By the way, the Trooper looks like a great slalom wave!

I ride a Connelly V in their longest model. I can't remember the length. The V is a full double sidewinder binding system that is super secure and comfortable. It's easy to get on and off and you're locked in when it's set. It uses laces like a wakeboard and a cam on the back that locks the heel. The V is more forgiving than most other competition slaloms I've ridden and absorbs shock and wake really well. If your body position isn't perfect, the ski makes up some of that for you and is easily recoverable from poor planning and position.

There are alot of great youtube videos for noobs like us on slalom, which I'm sure you know. I've learned alot from them. Thats why I bought the V, as it came highly recommended from some pretty good riders.

trayson
08-17-2014, 08:09 PM
Couldn't tell from the vid, but do you ski right or left foot forward? Some things I've noticed when I ski that help are foot and rope postion. Having the rope mounted on the pylon instead of the wake tower helps tremendously. The tower puts the rope too high when you cut, and throw you off the proper balance. If you are right foot forward put the rope on the left side of the ski when you start, as it tends to pull you the correct direction. I also use a pistol grip on the rope instead of a "palm down" wakeboard grip. I use left hand palm up with right foot forward through the whole ride. You'll also be leaning back further on a slalom than you do with most other board sports, which feels abnormal until it clicks. Speed is also pretty important as IMO, the slower you are, the more difficult a slalom is to ride. I normally free ski between 31 and 34 depending on the water. By the way, the Trooper looks like a great slalom wave!

I ride a Connelly V in their longest model. I can't remember the length. The V is a full double sidewinder binding system that is super secure and comfortable. It's easy to get on and off and you're locked in when it's set. It uses laces like a wakeboard and a cam on the back that locks the heel. The V is more forgiving than most other competition slaloms I've ridden and absorbs shock and wake really well. If your body position isn't perfect, the ski makes up some of that for you and is easily recoverable from poor planning and position.

There are alot of great youtube videos for noobs like us on slalom, which I'm sure you know. I've learned alot from them. Thats why I bought the V, as it came highly recommended from some pretty good riders.

Honestly, I couldn't remember which foot I skied with forward, but I'm FOR SURE regular snowboarding and wakeboarding and surfing, so I put my left food forward on the ski.

I was actually skiing off the stern eye of the boat. The previous owner took out the center pylon to save room since he never skied. I was going to throw it back in the boat once, but with all the rust down in the hole, it was so snug of a fit, I was worried I'd never get it back out! So it's not in the boat. I certainly had no intention of being towed by the tower. :-)

I've been wakeboarding so long (since the mid 90's, that I forgot about a ski grip! I'll try that. I kept telling myself to lean back, I probably could have used more.

As far as speed, I was a sissy and set the speed pretty damn low. I think I had it REALLY low at like 23 to 25mph. I guess I was a little gun shy and wanted to give myself a break but maybe I was making it harder for myself? What speed should I be at? The faster speeds kinda scare me honestly.

Here's my wake at probably 25mph or so. I guess the old Direct drive ain't too bad?
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-LCOSO1Pa2cY/U_FDSIJuRcI/AAAAAAAARZ0/RmD9M1AjO0E/s800/20140816_091204.jpg

Those bindings you described sound awesome. I guess I need to give it another try even with this ski and adjust my grip and my speed and my body position... Maybe I'll surprise myself.

Beejwest
08-17-2014, 08:31 PM
I think most slalom courses start at 28mph or so. I'm a big dude and when I drop below about 28mph the drag increases and the ski feels like it sits too deep and is mushy. Above 28 she rides really nice. I normally roll about 32 on the PP (uncalibrated) so I don't know what the GPS speed is but it's close, within a mile or two per hour. I've found that older skis transmit more water feel to the rider, and the newer skis are way smoother and feel more connected. Just like surfing, one board is fantastic for one rider, but the next guy hates it. Pretty personal sport. Your wake is fantastic! 2069620697
Here is a couple shots from last weekend at 32mph on some rare glassy water. They are stills from a video so the quality sucks. Don't have any of the LSV's wake in the center...

Beejwest
08-17-2014, 08:34 PM
I lied, here is one;

and one more

Beejwest
08-17-2014, 08:38 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Connelly-Water-Ski-Dbl-Sidewinder/dp/B00DDV0NSW

There are those bindings I was talking about.

Beejwest
08-17-2014, 08:46 PM
I'll get a video up tonight....

Beejwest
08-17-2014, 11:25 PM
http://youtu.be/TuWLiw1kaV4

I make plenty of mistakes, and almost eat it a few times!

trayson
08-18-2014, 01:46 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Connelly-Water-Ski-Dbl-Sidewinder/dp/B00DDV0NSW

There are those bindings I was talking about.

Those look sweet. I have a very similar binding on my wakeboard. Not surprising, they are the CWB "hinge" wakeboard bindings!

And yeah, i see what you mean in the video. your v-drive wake is like a mountain compared to my DD. hahahaha. I guess I better appreciate that I have a board that can pretty much do it all! From slalom to surfing!

I think I'll give it another go with a higher speed and see what that does... But it'll have to wait until I get good water of course.

iwaterskihard
08-20-2014, 12:45 AM
There are many things I question or would ask you? I would like to see a video of you skiing taken from the boat so we can actually see you ski vs watching the boat drive and you go for a tug behind it. Please don't take what I am saying as insult but rather it's hard to give you any advise without seeing you actually ski.
The ski you are on is old skiing technology. There are a ton of newer skis out there now that will help you get out of the water easier.
Here is a few things I would suggest:
1) Fix your grip - you need to offset your hands with one foot ahead of the other (pure simple balance)
2) If you're LFF then get the ski sitting at 10' o'clock prior to the boat pull, contrary if you're RFF get the ski pointed towards 2 o'clock.
3) What line length is that rope? You look like you're a long way away from the boat.
4) How fast are you skiing? Going too fast for your ability when trying to improve is worse than going too slow.

If you can get someone to shoot a video from the boat it would be a whole lot easier for some of us to give you better instruction.
Do some research on ski sites and find the right size ski for you based on your size. Look at HO, Radar, O'Brien, Connelley as they all have sizing on their sites. Then check out ski-it-again.com there is some good ski's on there that you could upgrade to.
Ok I will leave it at that. Too much info isn't a good thing either! :)

trayson
08-20-2014, 02:13 AM
Honestly, treat me as a NEWB. I've probably only slalom skied 20 to 30 times ever. And all but a few of those were literally 10 years ago. I really don't know what I'm doing other than I can get up if I work at it.

As far as speed, I have no clue what speed I should be at. I already know that I was going way too slow on Saturday... I was in the mid or low 20's IIRC. I really don't remember what I set the PP for. I was told on the Supra forums that going too slow might have made it even harder too.

I don't have a true ski rope, so I grabbed my wakeboard rope that is actually rope, not spectra or any of that other non-stretch stuff. IIRC I was on a 65' line and I was being pulled off the stern of the boat because the previous owner took out my ski pylon and the hole had enough rust in there that getting it back in was going to take some work.

My aspirations are to become a comfortable recreational skier, maybe intermediate at best. I really don't see myself skiing a course or anything like that. Just cruise around on the ski and cut around a bit. Heck, if I got to the point where freeskiing I could crank a nice turn and throw up a rooster, I'd be giddy. I don't need bouys.

On the Supra forum they pointed me towards skis like an HO Freeride, Radar Senate, or a Radar Theory in a 66 or 67 length (I weigh 169). And some bindings that are comfortable to get into would be great. something that at least has the laces.

On the Supra forum one suggestion was this package: http://www.wakehouse.com/products/radar-theory-water-ski-package-blem.html But honestly, I don't have $300 burning a hole in my pocket to spend on basically a new discipline, LOL. I know I sound like a cheap ass, but I've slalom skied twice since I got my boat a year and a half ago... I want to do it more, but I know wakeboarding and surfing are going to still be my primary go-to items...

SupraLaunch21V
08-20-2014, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=trayson;251300]
On the Supra forum they pointed me towards skis like an HO Freeride, Radar Senate, or a Radar Theory in a 66 or 67 length (I weigh 169). And some bindings that are comfortable to get into would be great. something that at least has the laces.

Looks like you're having a ton of fun. That is the most important thing for sure. A few years ago, when I got back into slalom skiing, I bought an O'brien Synchro ( front boot & rear toe plate ). I even did up to 30mph -15 off on the course. You can find them cheap since most skiers eventually upgrade from this ski. Just my recommendation. I am on the Supra Forum obviously and I have an HO Triumph and it has been a nice upgrade from the Sychro. But when I lake ski, the O'brien comes back out. Its a great ski, affordable, and would serve you well I think.

Keep it fun - iwaterskihard has given some great tips. Waterskimag also has a Connelly How To Section from Joel Howley. Pretty interesting. Have fun with it, keep videoing and compare with others on sites like skiallsix. Even though y ou're not doing buoys, the technique from buoy chargers is the same. And if you can adopt this style of skiing you can ski longer with less effort and more efficiently ( much less recovery too ). Very important for me since I'm in the 40+ bucket skier. JY

kaneboats
08-20-2014, 01:23 PM
Here you go.

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/spo/4627350113.html

skiyaker
08-20-2014, 09:30 PM
Hey no shame in slower speeds if it's fun! My wife and dad like to ski slow with an easy get up so we bought the appropriate ski (radar satori) and the wife skis the mini course at 23 mph. My dad and brother (who has bad wrists) Have a blast on it. It's as easy to get up on as a wakeboard but fun to turn like a ski. Based on your goals I agree with the HO freeride or Radar Theory. I'm a radar guy but really the freeride is designed for recreational skiers who want the thrill of carving and spraying with a ski that's easy to get up on and low resistance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7qwwY1L_UI

trayson
08-21-2014, 03:39 PM
Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Radar theory package with double highboots.

I hope this will be the ski for me! I'll have it in time for the PNW Supra/Moomba Jam on Jam on Labor Day weekend...

http://www.wakehouse.com/products/radar-theory-water-ski-package-blem.html

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server1400/fe789/products/4567/images/13047/radar_theory_prime_package_2012__82219.1399306958. 1280.1280.jpg?c=2

skiyaker
08-22-2014, 08:10 AM
looks great- good choice! let us know how you like it

kaneboats
08-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Never heard anyone complain about radar products. Do let us know how she rides.

iwaterskihard
08-22-2014, 10:20 AM
Awesome enjoy the ride! Next post video. And we will give you some lil pointers! :)

tarheelskier
08-22-2014, 10:36 AM
Awesome! And a 3 page skiing thread, that hasn't happened since.....ever?

SupraLaunch21V
08-22-2014, 03:02 PM
great choice. This shred stick should serve you well on your ski journey! Good luck and keep us posted. I'm sure you can look up the stock factory settings online if the ski didnt come with those bindings. For nearly a year I had my settings wrong ( about an inch too far back ) and it really messed with my skiing until someone noticed it.

now go tear it up!

trayson
08-22-2014, 04:35 PM
Awesome! And a 3 page skiing thread, that hasn't happened since.....ever?

haha. gotta love it. It shipped today. should arrive by labor day weekend.

What length rope should I use if I'm being towed by the stern eye?

PatL
08-24-2014, 07:31 AM
Trayson,

The norm on ski rope length for a lot of people is 60 ft (15 off). I looked at your video and it does appear you are farther back than that so I'm guessing you are using at least a 60ft rope from the stern eye (vs center ski pylon). Nothing wrong with a longer rope just means you would need to pull out a little wider when turning in to cross the wakes.

If it was me I would use the orange loop on a competition ski rope or 22 off if I was skiing off the stern eye. That would get fairly close to the feel of 15 off from a center ski pylon.

Concur with Kane you cant go wrong with Radar products.

BTW love your thread on surf system...It really has me looking at my Outback and thinking about how to build that setup. PatL

trayson
08-25-2014, 11:37 AM
Trayson,

The norm on ski rope length for a lot of people is 60 ft (15 off). I looked at your video and it does appear you are farther back than that so I'm guessing you are using at least a 60ft rope from the stern eye (vs center ski pylon). Nothing wrong with a longer rope just means you would need to pull out a little wider when turning in to cross the wakes.

If it was me I would use the orange loop on a competition ski rope or 22 off if I was skiing off the stern eye. That would get fairly close to the feel of 15 off from a center ski pylon.

Concur with Kane you cant go wrong with Radar products.

BTW love your thread on surf system...It really has me looking at my Outback and thinking about how to build that setup. PatL

My rope was 65' long. but I was being pulled from the stern eye, so that makes it longer than if I was being pulled my my center pylon (which isn't in the boat anymore).

iwaterskihard
08-26-2014, 10:36 AM
Like PatL said hook it up on the 16 meter (22 off) loop. This will get you closer to the boat thus simulating 18 meter (15 off) allowing you to ski and not work so hard to get outside the wake and generate speed to cross the wake.

I love this 3 page ski link on here. I'm surprised more people haven't jumped into the fray!

Have fun! I just spent the weekend getting some great coaching again and it's paid off instantly! :)

Love this sport! :)

trayson
08-26-2014, 06:10 PM
How important is it for me to have a dedicated "water ski" rope?

This is the rope I've been using. it's my "spare" cheap-o rope.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/20961573?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227015119228&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40968162032&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78910896632&veh=sem

http://www.airhead.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/270x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/A/H/AHWR-6.jpg

Obviously, I know that true comp skiers use a stretchy rope that will allow them to get that last couple inches to the bouy. But that's not me...

So how important is the rope in the equation?

trayson
08-27-2014, 01:34 PM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Z1EqUcZJpuQ/U_4WMKFjupI/AAAAAAAARkw/9Aq1UdtQW2o/s800/fedex.png

FedEx truck is coming to my house today!

trayson
08-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Look what fedex dropped off today!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-9k3Tn_YeRc0/U_52Zux5CiI/AAAAAAAARrQ/TREL7YfJzfY/s800/20140827_165317.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7uOdm2LUkVY/U_52lEkQwhI/AAAAAAAARrY/xelAIYuvmfk/s800/20140827_165328.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-UnKBzm3FdPY/U_52n-7XEqI/AAAAAAAARrg/MBvsZS5FNMM/s800/20140827_165336.jpg

skiyaker
08-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Just in time to give it a rip over Labor Day! Enjoy it.

trayson
08-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Just in time to give it a rip over Labor Day! Enjoy it.

Exactly, that was the plan!!

Some peeps wanted a pic of the bottom of the ski to see it's concave vs. rail:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZFr3D7mhFnw/U_9PQsmVDYI/AAAAAAAAR6A/h9lbIEPfWng/s800/20140828_075526.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5YIzhZn6gxU/U_9PYY-tAgI/AAAAAAAAR6Q/0Yh0dbcsR88/s800/20140828_075502.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9QF2huKX3FU/U_9PSjUT4yI/AAAAAAAAR6I/9ANaTDOGghc/s800/20140828_075514.jpg

PatL
08-28-2014, 06:27 PM
I gotta say that's a really nice looking ski...have fun with it!

trayson
09-02-2014, 01:58 AM
Okay, so took the new ski to the NW Moomba/Supra jam! took a few pulls to get up the first day, but once I was up it felt SOOO much better than that stupid oversized/too agressive hand-me-down.

THe bindings were great. decent to get in and out of and comfy with plenty of arch support. I've never had arch support in a ski!

It was a lot more forgiving and while I am totally a newbie, I was able to play with it and had a lot of fun.

Day #2 I got up on my first pull (my wife was SOOO happy) and skied until my arms were cooked.

Day #3, I got up on my 2nd pull (the first one I broke the rope where we'd tied a knot in it). Again, skied until my grip was toast.

I tried to get the hang of the opposing palms for my grip. felt SO weird after 18 years of wakeboarding with both palms down.

Getting a lot more confident with getting up. and never crashed on the ski. Just enjoyed it until I was tired and then threw the rope. I took some video that I'll get up later.

The ski came setup with the bindings already, so that was nice. I skied at 28 on day #1 and 28.5 on day #2. Not sure what speed will be best for me, so I just tried something that hopefully wasn't too slow.

Also, I put the rope at 55' but from the rear eye. (actually it was probably a few inches less than 55' since the rope had previously snapped and there was a knot in it.

Slalom wake on the boat (I think this was 28?)
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HNOOY5CHfTI/VAVTBHX95PI/AAAAAAAAT_k/xnEjpEs74mY/s800/20140830_080359.jpg

What I woke up to this morning:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-SoDmPfxarRI/VAVS1z9xNrI/AAAAAAAAT_E/R6K_ZYpewJ4/s800/20140901_093205.jpg

trayson
09-02-2014, 10:50 PM
http://youtu.be/uj4WgpwCE_k

Well, this was day #2 on the ski. I took one run the day before and this video is my 2nd time up on it. I'm super timid, but the water was smooth and I had a lot of fun. I forgot all about the opposing grip on my palms. Oh well. I'm pretty scared of the center of the wake still. haha!

Can't really see all that much with the mounting position of the go-pro. I'm going to try to put it up on the tower for a higher perspective, but unfortunately that will make it even farther away. Such is the nature of gopro.

trayson
09-03-2014, 12:51 AM
And Labor Day itself. Glass forever!!!

http://youtu.be/LGO4QpLFLP0

BensonWdby
09-03-2014, 07:26 AM
Glad to see you up and moving. It will keep getting better. Can't believe you were alone on that glass on Labor Day. Is that a V-drive? I recommend a good slalom rope. The handle on a slalom rope is quite a bit different than a wakeboard rope. You definitely want gloves, I know most wakeboarders go without. You know you want no ballast when pulling a skier - right? Definitely want to have opposing hands. I still get up with double overhand and then switch once I am up. Making conscious changes like that actually can help your skiing.

trayson
09-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Glad to see you up and moving. It will keep getting better. Can't believe you were alone on that glass on Labor Day. Is that a V-drive? I recommend a good slalom rope. The handle on a slalom rope is quite a bit different than a wakeboard rope. You definitely want gloves, I know most wakeboarders go without. You know you want no ballast when pulling a skier - right? Definitely want to have opposing hands. I still get up with double overhand and then switch once I am up. Making conscious changes like that actually can help your skiing.

Yeah, and I didn't really even get up that early, like on the water at 8am or so. It was Monday so some people were already focused on going home...

Nope, 1992 Supra Sunsport 21' direct drive.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-5wOS17wHMnY/U_AJLyRoa0I/AAAAAAAARZM/ceMLYfFto4A/s800/GOPR0298_1408211358485_high.JPG

No ballast (aside from the pair of 60 pound bags of concrete that I had thrown into the corners of the hull under the gas tank for kicks).

I definitely wear gloves. I have Radar slalom ski gloves in fact. My ego's not that big that I'd skip gloves. I grew up skiing, and started wakeboarding in the 90's before people knew what was cool and what wasn't! ha!

I'll have to work on the hands and maybe go shopping for a ski rope...

Beejwest
09-03-2014, 12:07 PM
On a ski you look how I feel on a wakeboard: uncomfortable. Lol! It gets easier with time. Also when you cross the wakes, I know you're timid and new, but if you put the ski on an edge it crosses much better. If you cross slowly, and flat, it tends to "pop" like a wakeboard. No bueno. Also wakeboarders tend to stiffin their legs when they cross to get that lift off to jump. Absorb the shock with your knees to keep that ski on edge and controllable passing through! Fantastic water!!!

trayson
09-03-2014, 12:40 PM
On a ski you look how I feel on a wakeboard: uncomfortable. Lol! It gets easier with time. Also when you cross the wakes, I know you're timid and new, but if you put the ski on an edge it crosses much better. If you cross slowly, and flat, it tends to "pop" like a wakeboard. No bueno. Also wakeboarders tend to stiffin their legs when they cross to get that lift off to jump. Absorb the shock with your knees to keep that ski on edge and controllable passing through! Fantastic water!!!

Thanks for the insight. it's been a long time since I've been on a ski and I've honestly slalomed so few times in my life, I'm basically starting over.

I'll give those ideas a shot. I have to say that it's weird going from riding around 21/22 to riding a lot faster. I've eased into skiing at 28 to 28.5mph. I'm honestly not sure what speed would be best for me...

Beejwest
09-03-2014, 02:59 PM
Just go for a ride fresh, and have your driver run through some pre-designated set points. For instance have them start your pull at 25, carve a few times, then bump up a mile or two each time you ask. Find what you like, and whats comfortable, then carve 'till your hearts content or your little Stormtrooper runs outta gas!

Beejwest
09-03-2014, 03:00 PM
BTW, love love love that slalom wake. I do believe if I didn't love surfing so much, I'd own a DD.

trayson
09-03-2014, 03:08 PM
BTW, love love love that slalom wake. I do believe if I didn't love surfing so much, I'd own a DD.

that's the rub now. It'd really been a foregone conclusion that I would be rockin' a v-drive ultimately as my next boat and as my "forever boat".

Here's what I've been able to get my surf wave to look like by retrofitting a surf system onto my DD.

http://youtu.be/zxC-iZVMD_U
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-DjfIZMexo1A/U7hQhfsSH-I/AAAAAAAAQwE/OYPvpv7uQbE/s800/10447160_10152582217419532_6394007103738184166_n.j pg

And of course I would love automated ballast and more room and an even bigger wakeboard/wakesurf wave. AND fuel injection!

But, now that I've started to ski a little here and there, it makes me wonder if I'd be making a mistake getting out of my DD. I've made it so it does about everything reasonably well. (it's not the best of the best at really any of the disciplines.) definitely something that's as much of an 'all around' as you can get keeping skiing in the mix...

Beejwest
09-04-2014, 12:49 PM
I grew up behind an I/O, so even my LSV has a better ski wake than that. I don't feel like the LSV is too bad for a ski wake at all. I've never slalomed behind a DD though, so it would probably make me think twice. I will still go with the v drive just because the surf wakes are so much easier to tune and obtain. Even my buddy's '14 G21 throws an "ok" slalom wake, but the surf wave is friggin amazing!

skiyaker
09-04-2014, 05:36 PM
That looks like a better surf wake than the slalom wake you'll get from a V-Drive. Granted - my OBV wake is on par with some bigger direct drives that I've skied- but skiing behind a bubble back nautique tends to spoil a guy. Your looming decision probably comes down to which activity you value most. It looks like you're a toy guy based on your signature- so you'll probably want to keep a direct drive in your stable somewhere because once your addicted your an addict and I bet that surfing will seem pretty boring to you compared to slalom.

trayson
09-04-2014, 05:42 PM
That looks like a better surf wake than the slalom wake you'll get from a V-Drive. Granted - my OBV wake is on par with some bigger direct drives that I've skied- but skiing behind a bubble back nautique tends to spoil a guy. Your looming decision probably comes down to which activity you value most. It looks like you're a toy guy based on your signature- so you'll probably want to keep a direct drive in your stable somewhere because once your addicted your an addict and I bet that surfing will seem pretty boring to you compared to slalom.

Yeah, I certainly don't see myself having 2 boats. I suppose that I could always hit up a friend of mine with an 01 Sport nautique...

skiyaker
09-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I certainly don't see myself having 2 boats. I suppose that I could always hit up a friend of mine with an 01 Sport nautique...

Too bad you're not closer to me- I'd get you hooked on those little red floaty buoys!

Beejwest
09-04-2014, 08:56 PM
X2. I would love to hit a course some time!!!

SupraLaunch21V
09-10-2014, 02:58 PM
thought I would post a video from our last ski outing at Hyco Lake, here in NC. Although its an N200 and not a SC boat, at least I did put the Supra sticker on the ski. Keep swervin peeps. .
https://vimeo.com/105650469

skiyaker
09-11-2014, 08:14 AM
nice video! looks like you have good width around those balls!

SupraLaunch21V
09-11-2014, 08:52 AM
nice video! looks like you have good width around those balls! THanks! I'd like to try running -28 this weekend just to see what it feels like. But my focus this week really has been -22 off at higher speeds around 32/34. at 34 those little orange balls are just flying by.

Its been a great year so far. A lot of work, ups and downs. Last year was my first year running a full set at -15 off at 28 and my first year competing. I'm hoping the progress continues. But shooting the videos were fun, also great to point out things you're doing right and things I'll need to work on still.

skiyaker
09-11-2014, 08:57 PM
That's crazy rapid progress. Nice that you have access to a 200- you must have a good group of ski buddies.

BensonWdby
09-11-2014, 09:52 PM
Seriously good progress. This would be a great time to go get some coaching. You are not too far from Orlando.
Check out http://www.skiwithwade.com/ . Wade is a great guy and a great coach. If not him There are plenty of others within a reasonable drive for you I bet. Although not familiar with these guys -have heard good things:
http://cobleskischool.com/about-us/
If you feel like a road trip - my coach is at : http://theliquidedge.com/

You will never regret coaching. I wish someone had got me started decades ago. 40 years of bad habits to break, but making progress.

28 off is very different from 22 off. I suggest dialing back the speed to 32 for 28 off.

THanks! I'd like to try running -28 this weekend just to see what it feels like. But my focus this week really has been -22 off at higher speeds around 32/34. at 34 those little orange balls are just flying by.

Its been a great year so far. A lot of work, ups and downs. Last year was my first year running a full set at -15 off at 28 and my first year competing. I'm hoping the progress continues. But shooting the videos were fun, also great to point out things you're doing right and things I'll need to work on still.

SupraLaunch21V
09-15-2014, 01:27 PM
I absolutley agree that coaching is essential. I've been fortunate enough to know and work with Chris and April Coble Eller - they are great and run a fantastic school. I have also used Seth Stisher and some other local skiers. I'm all ears when it comes to tips on getting more buoys or just a smoother set. Right on!

This weekend I absolutely sucked! I managed 6/-22/30 and a few at 32. Didn't even try -28 and glad I didn't. I really want more consistency with -22 and still -15 at 34. Progress is good, but this past weekend didn't really help the ego any! LOL

iwaterskihard
09-22-2014, 04:15 PM
Progression is awesome as it makes you smile and stokes you to no end.
I know what you mean when you say you have a rough spell and suck. That just happened to me all last week.
Was able to realize what the heck I was doing wrong and then all of a sudden I was a skier again. For a week straight I couldn't get past 4 ball at 22 off. I was so mad and frustrated that I was almost ready to put my ski away.
Then all of a sudden that coaching I took in the past kicked in and I realized where I was making my error. My reach on my offside was going towards the wake vs up course. Thus making my inside shoulder drop which didn't allow me to keep my shoulders square to the boat, my hips up, nor finish my turn with the handle on my hip.
As soon as I fixed it I ran 4 back to back passes like it was just regular [practice.
Keep at it, have fun and go hard!!!!

SupraLaunch21V
09-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Keep at it, have fun and go hard!!!! I was really happy with moving into the -22 zone and I should still make some 34 mph passes at -15 off to keep consistency going, but i did hit a wall at 32 mph. It will come. I'm very consistent at 30 mph -22 off passes and you're right. . as soon as I finish a set and it was rough, I start going through my coaching checklist - am I pulling too hard right out of the turn before getting into a good position for the lean BEHIND the boat. . . am I plowing into my lean with the lead shoulder ( squared) . etc. . then the magic comes out of the bag again! Its a great thing for sure when you've killed it!

How do you like your HO A3? Before I got the S2 I wrestled with getting the A3.

Swerve on!

iwaterskihard
09-29-2014, 10:20 AM
I absolutely love my A3. I went to it from an A2 and the difference was amazing. I'm riding the A3 a whole ton better than my A2.
My body positioning and stack are so much better. I have toyed around this last week with bindings as I'm trying to keep more of the front of my ski in the water through the apex and finish of the turn.
I moved my bindings forward 1/16" inch and ran a few passes. It's different but it is starting to feel better.
My biggest mistake is not carrying the load far enough past the second wake and therefore not carrying enough speed into the turn.
When I do that - heck the buoys just go by like nothing. But when I forget and initiate my turn too early - the buoys are a dog fight!
In the end it's all great as I'm skiing and improving even on my bad days there's always something to take back to the dock and work on.
Funny thing yesterday I skied with a guy who runs 32 with his eyes closed and 35 98% of the time. We both commented on how relative it is for skiers to get frustrated at all line lengths.
In the end I'm just happy to be skiing!
Any day behind my boat is better than a day at work!!! :)

BensonWdby
09-30-2014, 12:38 AM
.... I have toyed around this last week with bindings as I'm trying to keep more of the front of my ski in the water through the apex and finish of the turn.
I moved my bindings forward 1/16" inch and ran a few passes. It's different but it is starting to feel better.

Interstingly enough - my coach says if you want more ski in the water - Move your bindings BACK. I have not tried this - but he is pretty firm on it - recognizing it contradicts what you would expect.

iwaterskihard
09-30-2014, 07:04 AM
Interstingly enough - my coach says if you want more ski in the water - Move your bindings BACK. I have not tried this - but he is pretty firm on it - recognizing it contradicts what you would expect.

That's a different concept Benson. How does one keep more of the front of the ski in the water with the bindings back? Even with the weight on the front foot simple physics would suggest that the point of pressure on the ski would simply bring the tip up as it covers the most area on the water. My other point to that would be it would set your weight or pressure points back towards the rear or fin and thus promote more of the tip of the ski to come up out of the water.

My bindings are now currently as far forward as they can go on the Radar Sequence plate they are mounted on without moving the bindings on the plate.

Went out last night and ripped up 5 out of 6 passes at 22 off and noticed how much more stable the ski rides on edge and how it holds the load through the wakes on a better balance before I initiate my edge turn.

My 6th pass as I rounded 4 ball I started over thinking and when I do that it's all downhill from there! :)

Thus I think I have found a sweet spot for myself and now it's time to focus focus focus on body positioning and alignment. My coach Trent Finlayson is ALWAYS on me about position and alignment. Without it you can't progress!