PDA

View Full Version : 06 LSV rear locker covers cracking

spyder
08-12-2014, 04:55 PM
hey, Anyone know how I can get replacement locker covers for the 2 outside lockers and the engine locker for an 06 LSV? my boat has a few cracks in the vinyl that are spreading and I know within a year or so it will look absolutely terrible.

gregski
08-12-2014, 07:17 PM
Just find a local automotive upholstery shop.

spyder
08-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Just find a local automotive upholstery shop.

I can't imagine them matching it 100%

Anyone replaced them with an upholstery shop and have photos?

parrothd
08-12-2014, 10:18 PM
What color? Call skierschoice, they sold me the left over materials for my boat.. Red is all gone.. :) Then have a local shop make it..

kaneboats
08-12-2014, 10:44 PM
Hey, send me a PM and I'll send you some info. I'm in the middle of a test run with a supplier who will make you exact match covers. We are going to offer a small group buy in the next few weeks.

spyder
08-12-2014, 10:58 PM
What color? Call skierschoice, they sold me the left over materials for my boat.. Red is all gone.. :) Then have a local shop make it..

i actually called them last year or the year before and spaced out on buying them and they told me they only supported it for X years.. i can't recall.. and I think my year was up basically as I was talking to them.. meanwhile..i forgot to place the order and got side tracked with the new kids.

the blue and white.. maybe grey?

spyder
08-12-2014, 11:04 PM
this pattern

http://i.imgur.com/TG9yLAXl.jpg

gregski
08-13-2014, 08:57 AM
I can't imagine them matching it 100%

Maybe 99%. It doesn't hurt to try. You'll be surprised how close they can get. They will pull out a stack of sample books. They don't stock any of these materials (except maybe the basic white and black), so they will have to order it. They have access to nearly everything. It's like shopping for carpet.

papou
08-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Just like he said ^^^ a good shop should be able to find the colour and vinyl pattern, only problem would be the fading .

Father did my 05 and you could only tell from the white taking a front cushion and placing it on the rear locker .

spyder
08-13-2014, 10:16 AM
Just like he said ^^^ a good shop should be able to find the colour and vinyl pattern, only problem would be the fading .

Father did my 05 and you could only tell from the white taking a front cushion and placing it on the rear locker .

hrmm.. maybe i can source a local upholstery shop in the fall when the boat is home for storage.

these guys look like a possibility

http://www.hermansautotrim.com/services.html

valleywine
08-13-2014, 10:26 AM
I had a shop do my rear seat on my Nautique years ago and the guy matched it very well by using a slightly off white to match with the slight fading. You don't really notice fading until you put a new piece up next to the old. There are multiple shades of every color for this reason. A good shop can match it very very close. Nobody ever knew it had the seat redone. Make sure you write down the color used just in case you need to replace other sections in the near future.

gregski
08-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Oh, and if you're thinking about the actual pattern of color stripes, don't worry about that. The upholstery shop will easily pattern it off of the existing vinyl. That Herman's shop is exactly the type of place you want to go. Just take it to them for an estimate and "interview" them a bit with your questions/concerns.

spyder
09-18-2014, 11:44 AM
yikes, stopped by that Herman's place finally... nothing they had in Marine matched the Moomba blue nor the same stamping, and quoted it would be around $700 to repair the 3 cushions..

he recommended I call "Dr. Vinyl" in the area and he should be able to fix it up with some liquid vinyl for a fraction of the price...

here's a shot of some of the rip..

http://i.imgur.com/mFJppgdl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dzBXtd3l.jpg

gregski
09-18-2014, 01:08 PM
How do you store your boat? I ask because my vinyl developed a handful of small cracks in the exact same location as yours. On mine, it is now very obvious that that back edge of the vinyl is hard and brittle but the rest is still nice and supple. The only explanation that I can come up with is that it has something to do with the cover being in contact with that edge. We store ours outside, with the cover on.

Sadly, $700 for all three of those sounds about right. Vinyl is cheap enough, but the labor is not. The vinyl patch repair should work well if the vinyl is in good shape (not brittle like mine)

mikenehrkorn
09-18-2014, 01:16 PM
You could also stop by Home Depot and pick up some vinyl repair. It won't look the greatest, but it will be clear and at least stop the tears from getting bigger. I have done that before and it works pretty well.

So depending on your level of OCD you could get away with a $10-15 bill!!

spyder
09-18-2014, 01:46 PM
How do you store your boat? I ask because my vinyl developed a handful of small cracks in the exact same location as yours. On mine, it is now very obvious that that back edge of the vinyl is hard and brittle but the rest is still nice and supple. The only explanation that I can come up with is that it has something to do with the cover being in contact with that edge. We store ours outside, with the cover on.

Sadly, $700 for all three of those sounds about right. Vinyl is cheap enough, but the labor is not. The vinyl patch repair should work well if the vinyl is in good shape (not brittle like mine)

stored outdoors in the water all sumer with a crappy OEM cover (Evolution on order)... back edge where cracks are face the sun as well.. i assume always wet+sun did this?

stored indoors in a just above freezing barn all winter.

spyder
09-18-2014, 01:47 PM
You could also stop by Home Depot and pick up some vinyl repair. It won't look the greatest, but it will be clear and at least stop the tears from getting bigger. I have done that before and it works pretty well.

So depending on your level of OCD you could get away with a $10-15 bill!!

too scary for me.. I try to keep my boat perfect.. unfortunately things keep happening to it ;(

bergermaister
09-18-2014, 02:05 PM
That's also a high traffic area climbing back and forth to the swim platform. I've tried the TearAid vinyl patch stuff and it doesn't work all that great in a location like that... Curious about the liquid vinyl stuff though.

spyder
09-18-2014, 02:12 PM
That's also a high traffic area climbing back and forth to the swim platform. I've tried the TearAid vinyl patch stuff and it doesn't work all that great in a location like that... Curious about the liquid vinyl stuff though.

I'll update when the doctor calls me. :)

parrothd
09-18-2014, 02:53 PM
Have the entire cushion recovered with one color to save on labor or materials.

It's a pretty easy repair, anyone with basic sewing skills can cut the blue piece out and replace it. You can order the viynl from skiers choice, $35 a yard..

spyder
09-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Have the entire cushion recovered with one color to save on labor or materials.

It's a pretty easy repair, anyone with basic sewing skills can cut the blue piece out and replace it. You can order the viynl from skiers choice, $35 a yard..

do you know if they still sell the entire cushion skin for an 06?

spyder
09-18-2014, 03:51 PM
do you know if they still sell the entire cushion skin for an 06?

Well, this sucks... BOO!

​On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Anthony Cooper <[email protected]> wrote:
We no longer have any upholster for the 2006 we only go back to 2008 boats as of this time.

Anthony Cooper

mikenehrkorn
09-18-2014, 04:12 PM

Last time I tried the liquid vinyl stuff was on a very small tear (maybe 1/4") right in the middle of the back platform (also a heavy traffic area) and the repair held up for 2+ yrs until I sold the boat. The biggest issue -- it seemed to have some UV protection that didn't allow the small section under the repair to fade like the rest of the vinyl so it looks slightly discolored over time.

spyder
09-28-2014, 03:31 PM
Last time I tried the liquid vinyl stuff was on a very small tear (maybe 1/4") right in the middle of the back platform (also a heavy traffic area) and the repair held up for 2+ yrs until I sold the boat. The biggest issue -- it seemed to have some UV protection that didn't allow the small section under the repair to fade like the rest of the vinyl so it looks slightly discolored over time.

well the "Doctor" came today... i have to say initial impressions were this old guy was pretty good at his job! we'll see how it holds up next summe. he's been in the business about 44 years he said.

Before
http://i.imgur.com/dzBXtd3l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mFJppgdl.jpg

After
http://i.imgur.com/6pShhUul.jpg

bergermaister
09-28-2014, 11:32 PM
Wow. Not sure what that cost you but I'm sure it was less than new vinyl! Looks great. Hope it holds up!!

kaneboats
09-29-2014, 10:35 AM
How did he do it? The clear stuff and add color?

spyder
09-29-2014, 11:23 AM
How did he do it? The clear stuff and add color?

yep, applied a few coats into the cracks real thin and heated it...

then mixed the color on the spot to the exact color by just mixing from a bunch of random colors in cans... old guy was amazing! and he sprayed it on with some mouth powered paint sprayer... was neat to watch ;)