PDA

View Full Version : What speed do you wakeboard at ?

mattva65
04-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Just curious as to what speed everyone wakeboards at.

Smrtz
04-28-2006, 12:53 PM
It really depends.

If you are just starting out.. I would recommend starting out around 19mph ish, get the board contro.l happening. then go up from there. any idea what length of rope you are using? because that can make a big difference too

stang67
04-28-2006, 01:07 PM
I ride at 22.5 mph, set by perfect pass backed up by GPS. I also ride around 75'. This is normally what i ride at when conditions are great. When the water isnt so good i move in a slow down a little bit.

EUSTACE
04-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Usually 22 to 24 depending on the wake and the conditions.

E

Wake Master
04-28-2006, 09:03 PM
The speed is anywhere from 17-24. I will pull inexperienced people at 17 with no ballast. If I load the ballast with #1800 lbs. I need be be at least 22 MPH to keep the wake solid.

mseidelch
05-04-2006, 01:48 PM
For me it's 35.5! But not mph but kph. That makes 22.18 mph to be exact....

Smrtz
05-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Finally another member that I can understand when we talk about speeds and temps!!

Im lovin it

DC_B
05-04-2006, 04:28 PM
04 XLV 23.7 @ 75 feet that's with 1000 lbs in the front and the rear stock bags full I don't remember the exact weight of the rear bags. Seems like they were 275 each.

Ian Brantford
05-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by DC_B

04 XLV 23.7 @ 75 feet that's with 1000 lbs in the front and the rear stock bags full I don't remember the exact weight of the rear bags. Seems like they were 275 each.

I have a 2005 XLV with Gravity III, and need a bit more for those times when I have a minimal crew. Do you have a place to recommend for heavier ballast?

Back on topic, I go at 22MPH for anything requiring a full wake-to-wake jump, and 16-18 when practising something basic where my skill is lacking (like riding switch -- or anything else other than cruising). It reduces the pain when the inevitable happens. :-)

Thanx
Ian

Sharru-Kinu
05-08-2006, 01:28 PM
I've been playing around with pulling at very slow speeds - like 12.5 to 13 mph for a warm up. I've found that if I do my first set of the day at these speeds, working on surface tricks and overall board control, I have a lot more confidence and I'm just more comfortable for the rest fo the day riding at full speed (which is anywhere from 18 to 22 for me depending on water conditions and number of passengers). If you guys haven't tried riding at 12-13mph, you really need to give it a shot - it's a great way to improve your surface tricks, carving, grinds, and particularly riding switch very quickly. On that same note, if you have a newbie in the boat, slow it way down for them as well and watch their confidence soar. I've pulled 200lb guys at 12.5 mph and they plane out just fine. It does take a bit of upper body strength to ride at these slow speeds because the board sits lower in the water and you have to hang on a bit tighter, so don't spend the whole day doing it, just a warm up.

DC_B
05-09-2006, 12:31 PM
I took out the center bag and lined the floor with ten pound wieghts from an old universal gym then put the bag on top of them. It would be better to have a bigger bag and be able to dump the weight when not needed. You notice the weight when the boat is on the trailer because of the extra tonge weight. Other than that it works great.

Ian Brantford
05-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by DC_B

I took out the center bag and lined the floor with ten pound wieghts from an old universal gym then put the bag on top of them. It would be better to have a bigger bag and be able to dump the weight when not needed. You notice the weight when the boat is on the trailer because of the extra tonge weight. Other than that it works great.

D'oh! I think that I'll skip that. I don't have enough truck for the extra weight when launching now. Thanks anyway. :-)

smokedog2
05-09-2006, 08:58 PM
For the scouts one year I loaded my Lund with wood for the camp fire. A few weeks/months later I noticed I had rolled both the radials (wire of the radial that was under the tred was now on the sidewall.

The tongue is not the only thing noticing the weight.

My $.02, worth what you paid for it.

SD2

P.S. you might want to do a Google search on fatigue fractures in fiberglass.

radryan
05-31-2006, 07:09 PM
Any big boarders out there? I mean over 250 pounds. Does size make a difference? I have found that on my LSV I have to push 23mph to not have my board sink when I pull hard on the rope. Also I run 60 ft with about 900 pounds. But I am hitting the curl of the wake at that speed and rope length so do I need speed up a little more?

cbadchris
06-12-2006, 07:43 PM
stang67

I usually ride at around 23.7mph rope length 75' with 1650 in ballast on my 06 LSV. I ride in really smooth water on weekdays though.

Try riding at over 23 with a 75 foot rope. You get that extra speed to push the ramp back more. You are probably hitting foam depending on the boat.

Chris

norcalwake2
08-14-2006, 02:07 AM
i was riding at 24.7 with all the bags full and the wedge almost all the way down.. but my friend was driving me at 28(or what it said on the perfect pass) and everything is the same weight and ive have been just boosting probably 2 more feet than i was...