PDA

View Full Version : center locker plug

Beejwest
08-08-2014, 04:51 PM
I currently have a PVC check plug in my center locker drain. I use it to keep oily bilge water out of the locker from the back of the boat. It still leaks a bit no matter how tight I get it. This may have to do with having to grind it down to fit the hole. The hole is like 1.25" and the smallest plug is 1.5" if I remember right. I hate hate hate having to vacuum out water from my locker every outing as it gets to stinking if I don't.

Can anyone come up with a good reason not to install a more permanent hole block in there? Obviously if the bag leaked/broke you'd have 400 lbs of water from a stock bag to deal with, but the GIII factory drain pump would pump it out, and I have a Tsunami I could stick in there too in an emergency.

Or, has anyone used anything different than a check plug that prevented all water from the bilge from entering the locker?

sivs1
08-08-2014, 04:58 PM
this is what I used, had to trim it a little, but works well.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-1-2-in-Plastic-Mechanical-Test-Plug-33400/100342630

Beejwest
08-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Yeahp, thats what I meant. I did the same thing, and it still leaks.

KT Mobius
08-08-2014, 09:54 PM
The hole is there, so when you take a roller over the bow you have a way of getting the water out.

jmvotto
08-08-2014, 11:18 PM
I used a test plug in the obv, but I have heard of some using a large 1.25. Inch cork. From lowes or hd with success.