PDA

View Full Version : New Moomba owner, 1999 Mobius

04-25-2006, 10:44 AM
I am a new Moomba owner, just recently purchased a 1999 Mobius w/65hrs. from Original owner. Does anyone have any input or any news I should know about?

cam813
04-26-2006, 09:01 AM
First message had some kind of error. Anyways, I am a new Moomba owner. I recently purchased a 1999 Mobius w/65 hrs from original owner. Just wondering if anyone had any input to this year model? Any tips, tricks or any info I might want to know. Thanks

qb12
04-26-2006, 09:11 AM
cam, congrats.

have you had the boat out yet. with that low of hours and being a 99 one of the first things i would do is replace the impeller. also sitting that much i would guess the shaft packing is probably dried out.

give us a little more info. what engine (carb or efi)

doug

cam813
04-26-2006, 09:28 AM
the boat has all the service records. The oil changed every season, winterized, de-winterized, impeller has been changed, transmission fluid changed, 20hr service done. Thats the records I have. It has the indmar 310hp carb motor. Cranks up fine and runs great.

qb12
04-26-2006, 09:40 AM
well then grab a beer and get out and enjoy.

is this your first inboard? , have you had the boat out yet?

if not you will quickly notice that when unloading and loading on the trailer if you have it in neutral you have no control of the steering. also when backing the boat off the trailer even under throttle the back in of the boat tends to swing to the right.

some good advice is to practice with a bouy or bumper out in the lake.

doug

cam813
04-26-2006, 09:46 AM
This is our first inboard. I have run Bass boats & i/o all my life. I have been out about 5 times. You are right about reverse. Not much steering control at all. Is the whine sound when in reverse normal? My buddys MC makes the same noise.

qb12
04-26-2006, 09:50 AM
normal, annoying but normal.

have fun and enjoy.

cam813
04-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the input

redmobius
04-27-2006, 07:09 AM
cam,

I have a 99 mobius with the same engine. I have over 400 hrs on it right now and have had no major issues to date. I love my boat because it has a great slalom wake and when I put my 500lb ballast in the wakeboard wake is fairly good. I too am the second owner. I was lucky, my brother bought this boat brand new and when he upgraded 4 years ago I bought it from him.

The transmission noise is normal when engaged into reverse. qb12 is right, practice your approach to a dock out in open water with a life jacket, bouy or bumper in the water. It takes some getting use to.

Enjoy the new boat and congrats.

dj

redmobius
04-27-2006, 07:09 AM
cam,

I have a 99 mobius with the same engine. I have over 400 hrs on it right now and have had no major issues to date. I love my boat because it has a great slalom wake and when I put my 500lb ballast in the wakeboard wake is fairly good. I too am the second owner. I was lucky, my brother bought this boat brand new and when he upgraded 4 years ago I bought it from him.

The transmission noise is normal when engaged into reverse. qb12 is right, practice your approach to a dock out in open water with a life jacket, bouy or bumper in the water. It takes some getting use to.

Enjoy the new boat and congrats.

dj

cam813
04-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the info. What is the deal w/ some people saying not to put a ballast bag or fat sac in the rear because of the gas tank? I assume that is where most people would put it.

redmobius
05-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Cam,

I put my ballast bag in front of the back seat. My boats gas tank is not loacated in the rear locker by under the back seat. With that said, I could put the bag in the locker but I am worried that it would put to much pressure on the blower which is located behind the back panel in the locker.

What color is your boat?

Daniel

Wolf-
05-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by cam813
This is our first inboard. I have run Bass boats & i/o all my life. I have been out about 5 times. You are right about reverse. Not much steering control at all. Is the whine sound when in reverse normal? My buddys MC makes the same noise.

Forward the tranny uses pressure plates.
In reverse, it uses a gear.
Thus the noise.

Regarding the ballast in the rear, the rear locker under the gull wings sits directly over the fuel tank (plastic). So for support reasons, not always a good place (actual warning sticker in some of them) and it also raises the center of gravity. You now have another 400# or so sitting 3 feet above the keel. My 440# bag sits under the back seat (in the sundeck position) or just in front of it if we need the seats.

I need to pick up a couple of the smaller blocks. One to offest passenger weight and the others to keep the bow down.

The recomendations to practice should not be taken lightly. Practice your docking when its quiet. Always remember, slow and steady. Even with the funky reverse issues, you will be able to drop that boat onto any dock, under any wind.

cam813
05-03-2006, 09:53 PM
redmobius, my boat is metalflake green w/white hull.

As to wolf, I talked to Skiers Choice and my model boat, the gas tank is not under the rear locker, its under the back seat. Like redmobius said the only thing to watch out for is the vent hose from the blower. Other than that its good.