PDA

View Full Version : Boat Speed

Jonathan
04-24-2006, 02:41 PM
I just finished breaking in my new Outback this weekend. I was pulling a buddy barefooting and was shocked that I could barely hit 43 mph with the throttle wide open. He was trying to one-foot, but we just couldn't get fast enough. Does anyone know if this will change as I put more hours on the boat? I didn't have the boat loaded with people either...I think there was 3 of us in the boat.

Do I need a different prop...I am running what came on the boat.

Thanks.

Smrtz
04-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Thats strange, I know I can bury the needle on mine no problem however I dunno about towing .. how fast do you have to go to barefoot usually? 40mph?

Jonathan
04-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Usually we go about 40.
That is why I am a little concerned...How fast does your boat typically run wide open?

Smrtz
04-24-2006, 03:23 PM
I used the GPS to calibrate the speedos and I can run it full out and the needle is burried I never checked to see full out with GPS but its @ 50 mph at least. I have about 50 hrs on the boat so far now.. I dont know that its gotten any faster.. I know there are different pitches of prop you can get but generally the change would be in torq not top end speed I think.. Lets wait Im sure Joe Techie will have some good insight for you

Jay

Jonathan
04-24-2006, 03:51 PM
50 - wow. It doesn't seem like I am getting near that fast...What type of GPS do you use. I think I really need to get one. I cannot believe I am not getting that much top end speed. Maybe after it runs a little more I'll get more out of it.

NH Moomba
04-24-2006, 09:03 PM
My boat tops out at about 43 or 44 by my GPS. It is a 2000 Outback LS with the factory prop and the MPI engine. When people ask me how many horsepower my boat is and I tell them 325, they always say "that thing must fly". I tell them inboards are more like high performance tractors.

Smrtz
04-25-2006, 11:29 AM
Yep these boats are all about torque, not top speed!
Im pretty sure my GPS is made by Garmin. Great must have tool

Not only can you see what speed it is, If you navigate any lakes that you dont know very well it will record the path you take so you can stay within an area you knwo the depths once you go over it once.

Good tool to have!!

pss3757
04-25-2006, 10:18 PM
guys...guys....

its all about the prop you have on your boat...3 blade...4 blade...the pitch, etc.

You cahnge the prop, you change the torque, up or down....speed, up or down. If you are really looking for more speed, get a 3 blade...

Talk to your dealer or prop shop about propellers and they will get you what you need.

ps

Smrtz
04-26-2006, 03:25 PM
Thanks PS!

pjtatro
04-26-2006, 05:09 PM
My XLV goes 24 mph and that is it. There is no need to go faster, no one with me wakeboards over 24 mph:p

DOCDRS
05-01-2006, 12:17 AM
I believe these boats are speed limited. Its due the angle of thrust. The prop drives the
the water,thrust, downward, thus lifting the back of the boat up or the driving the front of the boatdown ,plowing into the water . After a certain speed/thrust more thrust just increase the drag proportionally. 48 mph may be close the the top end you will ever get. I know a guy who had a mastercraft 8.5 lt super charged engine and it wouldn't go any faster than 46 mph, Its just sucked a lot of gas. For top speed as said earlier the cnc acme props are one of the best and will prob give you up to 3 more mph.
my 2 cents worth
oh and by the way once you get the 3 more, your going to want another 3 more

JoeTechie
05-01-2006, 09:38 AM
It is all about "hull speed" - talk to a sailor, they know this term very well. The drag on the hull will only allow it to go so fast through the water. Hydrodynamic friction causes it to slow down, so does the drag caused by the turbulence at the rear end - the more there is the higher the pressure and the more "sucking" it gets. These boats are desgned to have a lot of the rear hull in the water(more displacement, more drag), they sit very low, vs some runabouts that can plane a little higher out of the water and get closer to 50... but we are only talking a few mph here. To get over that requires a hydroplane, hydrofoil, or tremendous horsepower and a higher planing hull that litteraly launches the boat so that it is barely in the water (deep vee racers are a good example)

Hope this helps,

Joe

mseidelch
05-02-2006, 01:38 PM
My '05 XLV (73 hours) with the 5.7 MPI (340hp) engine runs 65 kph (kilometers per hour) which means 35 knots or 40 mph.

... and I think the fuel consumption is times 4 compared to normal wakeboard speed... ;-)

Ian Brantford
05-07-2006, 10:37 AM
My 2005 XLV does 44MPH (not verified with a GPS yet). That agrees with two on-line boat tests that I saw beforehand. One said 44.1, the other 44.6. This is exceedingly convenient, as insurance rates here in Canada jump dramatically if your boat does 45MPH or more. Yes, they did still have the threshold in MPH the last time I checked (not KmPH). I guess that it's because the guages on boats are still in MPH.

Around 38-40MPH, you can hear the last of the intake ports open up. That "whoosh" sound isn't air. It's the sound of money being sucked out of your wallet. I seldom get near WOT because of the much higher fuel consumption.

Ian

smokedog2
05-08-2006, 10:14 AM
My goal is to consume enough gas to make the payment look small.

It means I'm using the boat!

Kitchen pass is in hand, I'm headed for the lake this weekend - (yep Mothers Day weekend, first time in about 5 years)

05 LSV low 40s MPH

SD2

Smrtz
05-08-2006, 10:50 AM
I ran my 05 outback to about 46 mph yesterday and I could hear the loud gulping noise comming from the engine as it sucked back the gas fatser than the pump can put it in..

Im with you guys running these boats any faster than wakeboarding speed isnt a great investment. If we could just get prices back down to about .80 a litre (No idea what that would be in gallons) maybe it wouldnt hurt as much.

Thanks for another cheap boating season W

Wolf-
05-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by smokedog2
My goal is to consume enough gas to make the payment look small.

It means I'm using the boat!

Kitchen pass is in hand, I'm headed for the lake this weekend - (yep Mothers Day weekend, first time in about 5 years)

SD2

Yeah man, in a similar spot here. Son and I are taking off Thr afternoon for a 3 day, Mothers Day Weekend camping and boating trip.

YellowMoomba0
05-09-2006, 01:39 PM
You folks have fun on Mother's Day. I am ditching mom and my Moomba. Saturday is Sacred in SC. Four seats, sixth row: Darlington. After I pick the rubber out of my teeth I can hopefully get out Sunday Afternoon.

jj29ca
05-15-2006, 09:50 PM
just read your post about lack of speed with your moomba. Fact is, Moomba's lack top end speed. I have never heard of a moomba doing 50 mph (and given top barefoot boats, 375 to 400 hp only do 50, I have trouble believing a moomba will hit 50) i have an 03 outback and I barefoot all the time. The wake, with the wake plate is not terrible, albeit, it's no sanger. However, the only way to increase top end is change the prop. I put an Acme prop on and it made about a two mile per hour difference, but if you are a serious footer, start looking for your next boat, the Moomba won't cut it in the long run. If your looking for a budget boat Gekko GTR with their 375 hp engine just got AWSA approved for footing. Sorry I can't tell you something better, but I have spent hours testing props, speaking with Moomba reps, dealers, guys at the Moomba plant and no one is promising that the boat will hit the speeds us footers want. Even with the 340 hp motor, it may not even get the speed your looking for. It really is too bad, everything else about the boat I really like.

smokedog2
05-16-2006, 09:20 AM
My back is killing me from moving the tetherball tire (full of cement). I’m too old for that, probably too old to barefoot at 50 MPH too.

40 HP on the Lund, wish it was 50. My friend with a Rinker 245 HP wants another 50 (or 100) and now you tell me 325 is not enough, I should have 400 HP. 75 more HP to get 5 MPH faster! Did you notice gas at $3.00 and change a week or so ago?

I have a little experience with minimum power. We used to wakeboard behind the Lund (that was a sight). I found that the kids were just fine. Adults that had wakeboarded before were fine (talk about addicts). I was fine – at least I could get up behind the boat. But there were a few guys - the large guys - that were very consistently unsuccessful.

Something for the boat buyer to ponder as you paint a mental picture of jj –

as he opines for just a little more horsepower.

SD2

Oh, the football players did just fine behind the Moomba.

(and if there is any doubt jj, I’m just having a little fun – I’m sure you’re a rock (double entendre intended)).
:p

jj29ca
05-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Smokedog

No disrespect, but I don't think that you foot. If you did, you would understand the need for speed. Yes gas is expensive, and up here in Canada it costs more like $5 per gallon.
In contrast, if you golf, it too is expensive. Personally, I would rather spend $60 in fuel instead of golfing. That being said, we go footing once per week, and if that is your pleasure, then you need the boat to do what the MFG claims it will do - 45mph. As for your lund, I bet it is a great boat for tubing and other wally type activities, but you buy a tournament ski boat, because you need it to do specific things. Primarily, for the wake characteristics at different speeds. Fishing is why you buy a Lund not one of the reasons you buy a Moomba. I recognize Docdrs name on here(he also posted on this page re. speed) and he and I compete in barefoot endurance racing - yeah - 17 miles on your barefeet, we have an expectation that our boats will do 45mph. So, if an extra hp or change in prop are required...

qb12
05-16-2006, 05:08 PM
jj29ca, easy on sd2. He does sometimes go a little off track but has been very helpful to myself and many others.

Who told you 45mph is what the outback would do.... dealer???

I had my old outback up to around 44 by not for long.

I have footed in the past, and sure as heck wasn't going to go 45.

But to try to help you out I am sure a different pitch prop would increase your speed some.

Have a good one.

Db

DOCDRS
05-16-2006, 08:01 PM
holy %&*#@$$! ....48mph, thats awesome. Hey Ed, did you have another moomba before the 03? curious as to what that one did if you ever gps'd it, my 99 will do 46 on a warm day in may when the water is still cold ( more dense?) better thrust and boyancy? is it the acme 3 blade or the standard oj prop. i know jj will be pissed your getting 48 . whats your rpm at that speed?

smokedog2
05-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Off track? I don’t even see a train.

I wish I had GPS data. I loaned mine to the Boy Scout Leader, he gave it to his wife to give to mine at work to return to me. It was never seen again.

I like football, especially the Vikings but I hear they are setting a bad example for lacrosse players.

Where is the "BMW tractor of the boating world" guy? I liked that description.

I’m not off track; I’m at the bus station waiting for that new cruise ship the size of Rhode Island.

My wife finds my jokes opaque.

SD2

Oh, It is my uneducated opinion that perfectpass eats a mile or two at the top end simply due to the tight cable control needed limiting the high end travel. If you have it, you might try disconnecting it. I bet Ed is PP free.

Smrtz
05-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Im going to take my GPS out tonight on my 05 outback, and i will post exactly what I can get her to do.. Im pretty sure its around 48 also!

wakeboard dad
05-17-2006, 11:19 AM
With just my 200+lbs in the boat I get around 48MPH in my 04 LSV and I have PP. :)

jj29ca
05-19-2006, 12:48 AM
Well for those of you who are barefooters, and it seems that there are a few replying, check out www.canadabarefoot.com. Although the page is not yet updated, this years event will be held on September 30, 2006. This is an amazing event, total fun. Guys from as far away as Florida and Colorado come up here to take part in this great event. (I have taken my Moomba from Canada to Winter Haven Florida - its only 23 hours drive) So, get your buddies together, hook up your Moomba's and enjoy the footing experience, Canadian style. It is a 17 mile barefoot endurance race and you will ski through all types of conditions, followed by a bbq. But if 17 miles isn't challenging, remember, if you join our tail gate party the night before, chances are, you will be hung over when you ski it!!! :)

cobra219
05-23-2006, 11:30 AM
I just test drove an Outback with the MPI engine upgrade last Saturday. We topped ou at just over 46 mph with two on board and half a tank of gas. I have to say that I was VERY impressed with the driving performance of this boat. It was FAST out of the hole, tracked straight and cornered beautifully. I was sold. I'm an outboard engine deveotee of over 20 years and although I had driven I/O (...not impressed), I had never driven a direct drive boat. WOW. What a difference...and what a beautiful wake. If it hadn't actually snowed(!) an hour before the test ride, I might have considered getting out on my ski.

Last night I ordered and Outback with the engine upgrade and hope to have it by mid-June. My wife and I can't wait to get out skiing, and cruising with the kids.

Dave W.
(new Moomba owner!)

JoeTechie
05-23-2006, 06:39 PM
From a previous outboard devotee - I can tell you - you're never going back! The V-Drive I have has about the same wake as my old outboards, the direct drive of the regular outback you got is above and beyond it! MPI is very simple and worry free, boat is still CHEAP for what you are getting.

The only strange thing is getting used to driving them at low speeds, backing up only in one direction, and remembering you can't use tilt/trim in shallow situations.

Welcome!

-Joe

05-23-2006, 11:37 PM
Welcome . You will not regret it.

05-23-2006, 11:37 PM
Welcome . You will not regret it.

jj29ca
05-24-2006, 12:04 AM
To: Dave W.
What engine upgrade did you get, the 325 or the 340? I have been very interested in getting info on an outback with a 340.

JoeTechie
05-24-2006, 09:43 AM
I doubt you would see that much of an increase. The hull is going to limit your top speed, and the 325 will push that boat above 45... what speed are you looking for ?

just my $0.02,

Joe

cobra219
05-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome to the Moomba family. We are very excitedly awaiting the arrival of our new baby.

Joe, you're right about the direct-drive thing...I was hooked as soon as I took the helm on my test drive. I was overwhelmed (as opposed to being totally underwhelmed by all of the I/Os that I had previously tested!).

JJ. I have opted for the 325. It's the same engine that I test drove and it was all the hp that I think I need (I can't believe that I just said that, I must finally be maturing). The hole shot and accelleration to speed were excellent. We topped out at 46+mph which is great for a boat that is not made for speed. I thought about moving up to the 340, but I got a good deal on the 325 upgrade and I didn't want to pay for what I imagine would be added fuel consumption of the 340. With the 325 you get the benifits of FI (better starts and fuel efficiency and lower emmisions) as well as an extra 15 horses.

Those are my thoughts anyways. Enjoy the new boat. When are you expecting it?

Cheers,

Dave