PDA

View Full Version : how to center your steering wheel

tys_kanga
04-23-2006, 10:08 AM
Can anyone tell me how to center the steering wheel on my 01 Kanga? To put the rudder in the straight position you have to put the steering wheel in the postion it is in for turning. Thanks guys.

MEDIC151
05-08-2006, 09:34 AM
If your steering is anything like mine, a 02 mobius, it is really easy. Under the dash where your steering column is, there is 4 nuts that hold the rack on. Take those loose and lift the rack off enough that the gears seperate. Move your steering wheel back in to the position you want and lower the rack back on the gear and tighten the nuts. This is easiest on the water since you need to get the boat going straight, then kill it and do the above. The rudder will not be straight since it has to compensate for the prop turning while going straight.

Medic

Catdog1
05-15-2006, 05:58 PM
If you've just noticed a change in the alignment, then check something else out first.

Pull up the floor and check the ball/socket mounting of the cable, just before the cable attaches to the rudder.

You might find slop in that ball / socket joint, or looseness of the associated mounting hardware.

If like my outback, the ball is steel, but the socket is aluminum and subject to a great deal of wear. It translates into loose, imprecise steering.

I'm curious what you find.