PDA

View Full Version : Kill Switch Question

supervol0509
07-30-2014, 10:15 PM
My boat has a toggle kill switch beneath the throttle. The switch is currently toggled to the up position, so obviously the down position kills the boat. Should I have a lanyard or something connected to this? I don't really understand the physics of the setup. I mean, if I attached the lanyard to myself and happened to fly out of the boat, what forces the toggle switch to the down position. Is the lanyard hook up thick enough to wedge it to the down position?

motosno963
07-31-2014, 01:18 AM
the lanyard sticks under there so when you fall or something happens to the driver and the lanyard pulls off that switch, the switch will ( should ) close back down and kill the motor..i dont know why your switch would be stuck open like that. maybe the last owner lost the lanyard and stuck something in there to keep it open..have any pics?
( only reason i know this is from racing GNCC back in the day ) my 04 outback doesnt have one

kaneboats
07-31-2014, 08:51 AM
Sounds to me like a previous owner had a too sensitive lanyard and got tired of it (does the boat have a swivel driver's seat?). If he installed a toggle switch in its place this would allow him to shut it off and possibly prevent theft -- at least by idiots-- and stop the unwanted interruptions.

supervol0509
07-31-2014, 08:58 AM
I will try to remember to take a picture this weekend. As I said, the switch is toggled up. There is a plastic piece projecting out from the boat that says "RUN" on the top of it. The toggle switch is in such close proximity to this plastic, that you really can't even get your finger up in there to switch it down. I would probably have to use a key, or pen, or something. I assumed this was a kill switch, and should have something that would trip it if the driver fell off the boat. and had a lanyard attached.

kaneboats
07-31-2014, 09:02 AM
Well, they usually look like the ones in the pic the link below takes you to. There's a switch that is spring loaded and a key with a tether. If you yank on the tether it pulls the key and activates the switch.

http://www.jmsonline.net/unv-kill-switch-w-tether-coil.htm?gclid=COHJwOnN778CFSxk7AodMncAiA

But this is not really a "toggle" switch.

996scott
07-31-2014, 10:31 AM
that's what mine is on a 07 LSV. Mine was way too touchy and if the seat bumped it while driving the engine would cut out so I disconnected the switch completely. It's not like I ever would use the lanyard anyway.

kaneboats
07-31-2014, 11:53 AM
Agree. If the seas are so rough they are going to throw me out of the driver's seat I'm going to be sitting in a recliner instead.