PDA

View Full Version : Ronix Parks Carbon Thruster - First Ride Impressions

bergermaister
07-28-2014, 04:01 PM
So my new "secret weapon" finally got wet this weekend. Picked up an almost new 2013 Ronix Parks Carbon Thruster demo through a great lead from SandM (Thanks again!). I wanted a surf style board but couldn't justify going custom or forking out the $$ for similar big boy boards.

This is a 4'7" board and I'm 6'3 and 210ish so I was a little worried about it being too short. With a small wave it would probably not happen. With a decent to monster wave I think most guys could ride this no problem.

Absolutely love the carbon fiber finish on this thing - really pops.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/20140726_152340539_iOS.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/20140726_152346724_iOS.jpg

The bottom edges have a bit of a curvature and rail to them vs smooth and flat like a skim board.

Super light weight. It's thicker than my other boards and won't fit in a normal wakeboard rack. So when you go to grab it, it's surprising how light it is. Comes with 10 fins, and 5 fin slots with multiple options. Yes, that's a whole lotta fins. I'm still a newbie at fin tuning so I stuck all 5 larger (2.9" I think) on it and set out.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/20140726_152353874_iOS.jpg

Thinking it wouldn't budge with all those fins in the water I was quite surprised how squirrely it felt. Loose but fast! With the tip curling up more you have the ability to step on the go pedal a bit more than a flatter rocker board without pearling.

Early on it was clear the board is beyond where I'm at now but I'm looking forward to stepping up my game. It feels like it will spin fairly easy, even with all those fins, and is plenty buoyant. Also feels like some airs are definitely going to be easier.

I wasn't running enough weight up front so the pocket was a bit shorter on this first test run (which was also too short). Then I was messing around with a new GoPro remote I just got which was cool but distracting.

Anyway, here's a little vid of the first run fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmR7r9l0qaQ&feature=youtu.be

slipperyrockTKE300
07-28-2014, 04:09 PM
I must say - that's a damn good looking board! Most aren't.

sandm
07-28-2014, 06:56 PM
glad you like it. that board looks amazing..
much different than riding a skimstyle....

lose the middle back fin. most guys run a 4 fin setup..

enjoy..

smorris7
07-28-2014, 07:19 PM
I have this board and love it. Bought a couple of fcs fins and run it as a twin. Super fast super loose. My favorite board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kaneboats
07-29-2014, 09:33 AM
Very slick looking board. My observation though: you need more wake or more board. Keep losing the pocket every time you try to do anything.

bergermaister
07-29-2014, 11:24 AM
Agreed. Kinda wish it were the 5' model, but another 400lbs up front makes the pocket a lot better.

Was hoping for another run last night but it was all sailboats on the river. Board didn't even come out of the locker.

168rod
07-30-2014, 08:26 AM
I'm 6'4, 240ish and ride the 5'7;it's awesome!

Here's a vid from a couple of weeks ago ...

http://vimeo.com/102097177

bergermaister
07-30-2014, 11:04 AM
Lookin good - so what fin setup are you running?

I'm planning to experiment more this weekend with just the 4 fins, maybe drop down to the smaller ones on the edges, play around with it.

trayson
07-30-2014, 12:46 PM
If you want to ride my Koal Illuminati, you're more than welcome to. it's a 5'. i have the center fin out. it's really not that fast of a board. I rode the board you're on for demo days and it was cool. It didn't wow me. Certainly better that what I've got. The only board that's ever wow'd me was the Doomswell Drone.

I would imagine Newty's boards would wow me, but I have only ever ridden with him once when I was still pretty NEWB status.

I surfed last night out of desperation when there were freaking whitecaps even in the Hayden Island slough.
This is how damn rough it was when I started!!! http://youtu.be/HwL-FOmUXK8?list=UUuGN7cYe8uss8sv6B8xganQ
It'd been over 3 weeks since my boat left the driveway. The water calmed down at 8pm. And taking a sunset set was pretty awesome. I was mesmerized by my transom lights!

168rod
07-30-2014, 07:06 PM
Lookin good - so what fin setup are you running?

I'm planning to experiment more this weekend with just the 4 fins, maybe drop down to the smaller ones on the edges, play around with it.

I'm currently running with a twinzer setup with 2.9 on the outside and 2.3 on the inside forward slot.

I tried the fiver and triple, and found the twinzer set-up works best.

Next time out I'm going to put the 2.3 on the outside and 2.9 on the inside to check out the difference.

Awesome board on an awesome wave!

168rod
08-04-2014, 08:07 AM
Swapped the fins around this weekend and seems slower ... Put the larger ones back outside and surfs great.

sandm
08-04-2014, 10:42 AM
blacksticks will make the biggest difference..

bergermaister
08-04-2014, 02:50 PM
So got some more riding time in this weekend, but the final verdict for me is TOO SMALL. :(

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/ronix-small.jpg

I'm bummed because I'm really diggin this board, but I have to be way too careful to not pearl it or lose the wave just about the whole time.

The final decision came after a set behind my buddy's Malibu VLX (not the pic above). We had full surf ballast (couple G), wedge down, and 14 people on board. The wave was crazy good but even with that it was just too easy to lose it.

Not sure if I'll keep this one around for the kids or trade it up to a larger size. Have to think on it.

Urgh.

sandm
08-04-2014, 02:58 PM
sorry berg.
figured it would be right for ya. I ride a 4'8 soulcraft at 5'11 and 215 and it's a great board. I also have a ronix koal at 4'7 and, not quite as fast as the sc, still an easy board to keep on the wave.

either way if you decide to sell it, based on the response on the tige forums, it'll sell quickly. if you do decide to post it up and no hits here, lmk and I'll list it over there for ya. it's a great looking board...

bergermaister
08-04-2014, 03:00 PM
Thanks Scott. My 13yr old is getting pretty good and I think (hoping) she'll progress up to it - just not sure how long that will be. I'd actually love this board in a 5' + size! Maybe I'll start looking for a trade.

smorris7
08-04-2014, 03:54 PM
Berg,

Go to FCS Fins website and buy a set of G8 triset "thruster" fins for 20.00 (50% off right now) These fins are designed for XL guys. Fin design and placement means EVERYTHING in a surfboard. Use 2 of the fins in the most forward position. It will speed up the board ALOT. You can also use the 3rd fin and run it as a thruster. You have yourself a great board. Don't give up on it. Below is the link

http://surffcs.com/shop/surf-thrusters

bergermaister
08-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Ok - looking at them now. Think I'll grab 2 for the outer spots - maybe play with some of the stock fins for center.

Green - come on, that's it?

sandm
08-04-2014, 04:15 PM
amazing how much of a difference fins can make. the blacksticks made a world of difference in the speed of my soulcraft. at that price, I'd try a set of them.

bergermaister
08-04-2014, 04:18 PM
ehhhhhh, I just looked at "blacksticks". Pretty sure I'd be into those more than I was the board itself in a short amount of time.

Are those similar to the ones you were suggesting early on?

smorris7
08-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Ok - looking at them now. Think I'll grab 2 for the outer spots - maybe play with some of the stock fins for center.

Green - come on, that's it?

They may have other colors, but it must be the XL size. Also the other colors may run you 120.00

sandm
08-04-2014, 04:36 PM
v2's run around $100 for a set for that board. fins are not cheap, but can drastically alter the boards riding characteristics. think like what a new prop does for a boat.

I'd pick up a set off the link above. worst case, sell them on here or another boat forum. someone will buy you out for what you have into them minus shipping. they do make a world of difference if they are the right fin. if your kid is progressing, will give them some comparisons to help their riding style if you decide to keep the board.

bergermaister
08-04-2014, 04:45 PM
They may have other colors, but it must be the XL size. Also the other colors may run you 120.00

I think the green is really growing on me..

v2's run around $100 for a set for that board. fins are not cheap, but can drastically alter the boards riding characteristics. think like what a new prop does for a boat.

I'd pick up a set off the link above. worst case, sell them on here or another boat forum. someone will buy you out for what you have into them minus shipping. they do make a world of difference if they are the right fin. if your kid is progressing, will give them some comparisons to help their riding style if you decide to keep the board.

Good analogy. Just ordered a set. What have I got to lose. Really want to like this board.

Thanks for the advice fellas!

sandm
08-05-2014, 07:08 AM
the only downside are just like a new prop on a boat, you can get great results and get worse results.
they make some of the best fins in the industry so I would imagine that it will be an improvement. most boards(including soulcraft) are shipping with some pretty cheap basic fins.

bergermaister
08-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Ok fins arrived today - and I learned that when you buy "one" it is actually a set of 3, two outsides and one inner. So now I have 6 fins....

Anyway, it is easy to tell which fin is the center - both edges are rounded. The other two have a flat edge and a curved edge, so basically a left and a right. Thing is I have no idea which is which and there are no indicators on them or in the package.

So I'm guessing you want the flat edge facing toward the center of the board, and the rounded edge facing the outside? Or vice versa?

ninedriver
08-07-2014, 11:14 PM
I say put 3 fins facing down and 3 facing up. That way you can kick flip the board and ride on the opposite side. Plus the board will be less loose when its upside down with the traction pad and rear kick in the wave.... That coupled with the orange flotation device you were wearing would let everyone know who's the pro.

smorris7
08-08-2014, 07:10 AM
Ok fins arrived today - and I learned that when you buy "one" it is actually a set of 3, two outsides and one inner. So now I have 6 fins....

Anyway, it is easy to tell which fin is the center - both edges are rounded. The other two have a flat edge and a curved edge, so basically a left and a right. Thing is I have no idea which is which and there are no indicators on them or in the package.

So I'm guessing you want the flat edge facing toward the center of the board, and the rounded edge facing the outside? Or vice versa?

Yes that is correct. Try it with all 3 as a thruster and see what you think. THEN remove the center fin. Also make sure your outside fins are as far FORWARD as possible.

bergermaister
08-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Will do - thanks for the advice!

smorris7
08-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Well, did you have a chance to ride it with the FCS fins? How did it go?

bergermaister
08-11-2014, 10:58 AM
Unfortunately no. By the time we got done WBing and trying to kill the kids on the tube we got blown off the river with 20mph winds. Leave for another 4 day weekend Thursday though so hopefully...

ninedriver
08-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Hey berg, any updates. ??

bergermaister
08-19-2014, 05:31 PM
Shout out and props to Smorris and SandM for pushing the fin swap!

Board is a lot better now. I ran two G8 Thrusters outside/forward and two of the stock 2.9" inside/forward. Definitely felt a speed increase as well as not so squirrely. Instead of falling out of the pocket so easily like before I was able to recover much better and more consistently. Board still feels like you can break it loose up on the peak of the wave rather than anywhere in the wave like before.

With the larger fins it also feels like it rides flatter/higher on the water. Not sure if it's just me or it really is doing that.

When you carve up the wave and then drop down in to catch it again it takes way less back foot to maintain control than before.

I'd still say the board is a tad on the small size for a guy like me but it's much more rideable and forgiving than it was before. If I were to buy one right now I'd bump up to the 5' one just to be safe. I didn't get a chance (too much portable ballast on board wanting a turn) to pull the small fins and experiment as a twinzer or add the 3rd for a thruster but hope to next time out.

I may have some GoPro footage for comparison but after 6 hours of driving I was too burned out to look at it.

The army green isn't growing on me either. Need to dye them black or splash on some paint. Just don't want to screw up the performance by trying to make it look pretty...

trayson
08-19-2014, 05:35 PM
The army green isn't growing on me either. Need to dye them black or splash on some paint. Just don't want to screw up the performance by trying to make it look pretty...

Because you can see so much of the fins when it's in the water...