PDA

View Full Version : Windshield coming out of frame

gregski
07-28-2014, 11:28 AM
We just noticed that a section of the windshield frame started to come apart. It looks like a screw was either missing or worked itself out. The curved section of the windshield is partially out of the channel. Has anyone replaced or disassembled/reassembled the windshield glass and frame? It looks easy, I'm plenty capable/handy. But... it sounds like replacement glass is at least $900, $1500 installed. If messing with it is awkward or touchy, would I be better served to pay a glass shop to mess with it so that they would be responsible for any accidents?

liquid_acid
07-28-2014, 12:26 PM
What year and model boat? I had my windshield come loose on my 98 outback. I just crawled under and put some new bolts on.

zabooda
07-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Standard practice back then. Added some screws and fixed. Have some additiional hands and it should be no problem.

gregski
07-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Well, this wasn't just a matter of adding screws. The whole frame needed to be opened up to get the glass to re-seat in the channel. It was well within my abilities (with extra hands) but a glass shop gave me a good deal, so I let them do it and considered it cheap insurance.

EricU
07-29-2014, 11:19 PM
I had the same thing happen to our '02 a couple of years ago. Took it out at the campsite and ran the boat like that for the rest of the week long trip.

Looked kinda ghetto/bass boat combo. I was going to reinstall it myself at home, but chickened out and paid the shop. Kept a close eye on those screws ever since.