PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Outback V Subwoofer

danraymond
07-28-2014, 01:22 AM
The surf tunes need a little more punch! So either at the end of this summer or spring of next year I would like to add a sub to my existing sound system. My primary question is where is the best place to put it? Under the helm? Under the glove box? Mounted in the walk-through area? Also, what are some of the best marine subs on the market? I want something with good quality and reliability, but I don't need to break the bank on it. Any tips or recommendations will be much appreciated!

garyholl
07-28-2014, 08:48 AM
One thing I would say is use a 12" sub, whichever brand you buy.

chawk610
07-28-2014, 08:51 AM
I have a 12" under th helm and a 10" in rear locker. You can feel the bass all over the boat.

moombadaze
07-28-2014, 09:11 AM
10" or 12" under the helm

David Analog
07-28-2014, 09:29 AM
The surf tunes need a little more punch! So either at the end of this summer or spring of next year I would like to add a sub to my existing sound system. My primary question is where is the best place to put it? Under the helm? Under the glove box? Mounted in the walk-through area? Also, what are some of the best marine subs on the market? I want something with good quality and reliability, but I don't need to break the bank on it. Any tips or recommendations will be much appreciated!

Under the driver's helm is the best location by a country mile even if you must size the woofer down. That is the only location where you can get direct radiation.
Inside any enclosed locker will incur losses in output which makes the woofer and amplifier work much harder to create an equal output. Plus, you lose important bass sound quality such as tonal articulation and transient attack. More of a tactile boat shaker than a musical bass maker. A vent only helps to a degree.
The pass-through area places the subwoofer outside of the cockpit boundaries and you lose whatever small amount of acoustic leverage you would have in an open towboat.
One subwoofer location only. Two locations will net you more bass but creates all kinds of phasing issues that smear the bass quality.
A 12-inch sealed or 10-inch bass-reflex will yield similar results.
A great high-performance and value woofer is the JL Audio 10 or 12W3.

beej77r
07-30-2014, 03:43 PM
I have a prefabbed 10' ported box with a SVC Rockford Fosgate marine sub... it ROCKS!!!
under the helm. Asking what sub is the best is really asking which truck is better...

garyholl
08-01-2014, 09:48 AM
I have a prefabbed 10' ported box with a SVC Rockford Fosgate marine sub... it ROCKS!!!
under the helm. Asking what sub is the best is really asking which truck is better...
Trudat!!!!