PDA

View Full Version : Chickens in engine compartment...

ninedriver
07-27-2014, 03:50 PM
Ok, at least it sounds like chickens...or my kids say squirrels. Anyways, I believe my belt is slipping. Happens usually when I first start up or ease into the throttle. I've seen a few threads on replacing one, but I want to see if there's anything else I should be checking and also if anyone has a part number for the belt for my engine. 2008 Assault 325 (fresh water).
Thanks
Steve

jmb
07-27-2014, 06:02 PM
No number on the belt? That number can be crossed.

papou
08-01-2014, 11:16 AM
Usually when the belt starts to squeak it has worn a bit and lost its tension , you can tighten the tension and or replace the belt if aged .

cornrickey
08-01-2014, 01:10 PM
Figure out which belt it is by putting some wax on each one till the sound stops. Check the tension and new rust on a pulley. Being a boat that probably sits for periods of time, corrosion can build on a pulley and cause the squeal till it is worn down again.

bergermaister
08-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Heat up the BBQ, get out some lemon pepper or perhaps buffalo sauce and then... Oh wait, belts...

If you pull it off and take it along to an auto parts store they usually have a gauge thing where they can stretch it over to get a size and find something compatible. Don't take it to a marine shop. The same alternator belt will go up $20 if you say it's for a boat.

DOCDRS
08-10-2014, 02:36 PM
I just replaced my 09 belt, took about 20 mins, I used good year gator back. Search my name ,it was a 26$ belt