PDA

View Full Version : Weed damage?

Blueliner
07-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Last night I took my 75 year old parents out for a quick spin (putt around the bay).

I chose a route I don't normally go and as I proceeded the water got noticeably weedy, I also noticed it took progressively more revolutions to keep moving. After about 10 minutes and a few quick reverse shots to clear the prop I turned around and headed exactly back the way I came, It just got worse. At one point you would think I was towing a scow or something, lots of shuddering if I tried to speed up (as high as 2000 rpm for 7mph) etc. At this point I gave it way more reverse than usual a couple of times and it seemed to clear up. I got back into the main channel and headed in. Naturally the hypochondriac in me kicked in and I figure I damaged something with all of the revving and jogging fwd and rev. In the deep main channel it seemed to be normal at least my two boys seemed to think so...of course not me. Afterwards on the trailer there was some weeds, long stringy stuff but I have seen worse. The shaft turns smoothly in both directions freely other than a bit of friction from the bearing and the shaft seal, the prop does not look bent or nicked...now I am gun shy of course. I guess when all of the shuddering was happening I must have been turning a 10lb ball of weeds which would have meant the prop was not moving water efficiently causing the slow speed.

Has this ever happened to you, can this damage the running gear? I guess all I can do is make sure the cooling system is not fouled, take it out and do a test run. Please calm the nerves of this boat owner noob.

Blueliner

Blueliner

jmvotto
07-22-2014, 02:21 PM
Do you have a water strainer on the intake, it may be full of weeds restricting water flow?

mmandley
07-22-2014, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't over think it. You did the right thing reversing it every so often.

I have had a couple bent props and they act the same. But going through weeds the prop has no real way to chop so it tangles and rips.

As long as you got everything off the prop shaft, check your cooling system, just make sure nothing is blocking it then you should be fine.

I personally wouldn't make it a habit going in the weeds LOL.

kaneboats
07-28-2014, 11:43 AM
I ran through some lily pads in my alligator lake nearby. Hit the reverse a couple times and cleaned them off. No big deal.

moombadaze
07-28-2014, 12:21 PM
I ran through some lily pads in my alligator lake nearby. Hit the reverse a couple times and cleaned them off. No big deal.

Ive seen pictures of this lake, he knows what he is talking about

blackcup
07-28-2014, 12:38 PM
Last night I took my 75 year old parents out for a quick spin (putt around the bay).

I chose a route I don't normally go and as I proceeded the water got noticeably weedy, I also noticed it took progressively more revolutions to keep moving. After about 10 minutes and a few quick reverse shots to clear the prop I turned around and headed exactly back the way I came, It just got worse. At one point you would think I was towing a scow or something, lots of shuddering if I tried to speed up (as high as 2000 rpm for 7mph) etc. At this point I gave it way more reverse than usual a couple of times and it seemed to clear up. I got back into the main channel and headed in. Naturally the hypochondriac in me kicked in and I figure I damaged something with all of the revving and jogging fwd and rev. In the deep main channel it seemed to be normal at least my two boys seemed to think so...of course not me. Afterwards on the trailer there was some weeds, long stringy stuff but I have seen worse. The shaft turns smoothly in both directions freely other than a bit of friction from the bearing and the shaft seal, the prop does not look bent or nicked...now I am gun shy of course. I guess when all of the shuddering was happening I must have been turning a 10lb ball of weeds which would have meant the prop was not moving water efficiently causing the slow speed.

Has this ever happened to you, can this damage the running gear? I guess all I can do is make sure the cooling system is not fouled, take it out and do a test run. Please calm the nerves of this boat owner noob.

Blueliner

Blueliner

This EXACT same thing happened to me last night. I must have hit a thick weed patch but all of the sudden the boat started to shake and make god awful noises. I quickly threw it in neutral then spun the weeds off by going into reverse. Tried to go forward again and it was shaking still. Hit the reverse hard and that did the job.

Boat seems to be fine now ... It is at a slip this week so I didn't have a way to check underneath for damage.

Fingers crossed