PDA

View Full Version : New Outback owner need help??

Jonathan
04-19-2006, 08:40 AM
I just put my new Outback on the water a couple days ago. I could not get the speedometer to work. Can anyone help me out with that. I am also not real sure about the two knobs under teh steering wheel. I was told they adjust the speedometers, but I am not sure how to work them.

One more question...how shallow am I safe to get with this boat. It is my first inboard.

Thanks.

Jon
04-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Make sure your dealer pulled the plastic tape off the bottom of your boat that is over the speedo. The factory ships the boats like that. For the knobs, you just twist them and they change the speed that is read on the gauge. You could probably run in 3' of water. Your draft should be 22".

Jonathan
04-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Jon,

Thanks for the reply. On those knobs again...if those are bumbed when the boat is off, is that going to affect the speed?

qb12
04-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Jonathan, Those knobs are there to calibrate your speedos. If they are bumped yes your speedos are off.

Mine use to get knocked off all the time with the kids in the boat. I used a handheld gps to calibrate both of the speedos.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Smrtz
04-19-2006, 11:05 AM
When I picked up mine the dealer told me that 30 mph was 3000 rpm and to calibrate that way. Since then I used the GPS method and found that the manual calibration is okay but the gps is far superior for accuracy

BTW congrats on the new boat!!

Jonathan
04-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all the good advice! The dealer here is not a whole lot of help. I think they are more interested in making a sale than servicing their clients.

The boat is pretty great though!

Aubrey
04-22-2006, 09:02 PM
I took my Outback out last night for the first time and my speedo did not work as well. I looked under the dash and located a wire from the unit that was not properly connected into the connector going to the wire harness. I had turned the calibration knobs alot by this time, so now it is way out of whack. Can anyone tell me the approx. rpm @ 34 and 36 mph.

Thanks
Marlon

Buttafewcoe
04-23-2006, 02:05 AM
approx 3600-3700 rpms
B

Aubrey
04-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Wow, that is higher than I thaugt it would be. I'll run it and calibrate at that range next time out. Thanks for your help. Hpoe to ski later this week (ice came off 5 days ago.....snowed again heavy today...... drysuit is my friend)

Marlon

Buttafewcoe
04-24-2006, 06:54 AM
Again, that is only approximate. It should get you within a mile an hour or two.
I set mine to 30 mph @ 3000 rpms and call that 'it'. Those that ski and board behind my boat give a number for mph for me to pull them at, and they do not complain about being too slow or too fast.
Hope this helps
B