PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to board, looking for some guidance

kdcdds
07-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Ok, here is my quick story:
I have been looking for a v-drive inboard for about two months, and was lucky enough to buy a 2007 xlv about 2 weeks ago. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. there weren't a lot of quality choices in this price range. I feel like I did really well on my purchase, and it is honestly one of the prettiest boats on the lake.

I looked at Malibu, Nautiques, Mastercrafts, and almost bought a Centurion. Every person that had a boat for sale that I looked at was going from a 21' to a larger boat. So, I decided that I would only look at the bigger boats also, since I didn't want to be feeling the need to upsize in a few years.

Here is my basic question: I just can't figure out why the other boats (except the Centurion) are so much more expensive. What the hell makes my boat 10K less than the rest?
Here are my specs:
2007 Moomba Mobius XLV
Blue/Black color-- amazing
GIII ballasts
Motor upgrade to 5.7L
Built In Bimini Top
Trailer upgraded with 19" new wheels and tires off of a 2014 Tige' (look awesome)
390 hours

everything that I looked at from 2005-2007 year models, around the rocky mountain area, was at least 3K-10K higher. I just don't get it.

anyone know what or why is driving this market?

bergermaister
07-22-2014, 12:17 PM
Moomba is the value proposition boat out of those brands that you named. Solid boat, solid reputation, just may not have all the (unnecessary) bling, bells and whistles as others. Programmable with touch screens vs flipping a switch - that sort of thing.

Sounds like a sweet XLV - pics?

kdcdds
07-22-2014, 12:28 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/23/anaze8at.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/23/ajenabuz.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/23/a7e7y6em.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/23/3y9uju4u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdcdds
07-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Moomba is the value proposition boat out of those brands that you named. Solid boat, solid reputation, just may not have all the (unnecessary) bling, bells and whistles as others. Programmable with touch screens vs flipping a switch - that sort of thing.

Sounds like a sweet XLV - pics?

kdcdds
07-22-2014, 01:16 PM
20459check out these wheels. they are pretty slick and go with the boat and trailer very well. they came off of a 2014 Tige' that the guy traded this in for. The old Moomba wheels and tires matched his truck better. very cool, but getting a matching spare is gonna cost me about 500 dollars

they hadn't even been off of the parking lot yet.

kdcdds
07-22-2014, 01:22 PM
I forgot to mention that we tried surfing this weekend, and weren't successful without the rope. I talked to Spencer at Wakemakers the minute they opened Monday morning, and I should be getting 1100lb upgrades delivered sometime today or tomorrow. That, along with a spare, will be my only additions this summer, I hope.
My future plans are as follows: Tower Mirror, Soft sided cooler for the space under the bench, swivel on drivers seat, and a full custom cover.

We have been out in it 5 times in the 10 short days I have had it, and I really couldn't be happier.

I will gladly park it by any 125k boat anytime, and it doesn't look, even a tad bit, out of place!!!

bergermaister
07-22-2014, 01:43 PM
20459but getting a matching spare is gonna cost me about 500 dollars

I'd suggest go with a stock wheel and throw a black cover on it - esp for something you hope you'll never have to use!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/817qBYMW8VL._SL1500_.jpg

Then put the 500 bones you saved towards all the cool gear we're going to talk you into shortly.

mikenehrkorn
07-22-2014, 01:55 PM
I'd suggest go with a stock wheel and throw a black cover on it - esp for something you hope you'll never have to use!

Completely agree......I always think of the spare for function, not for looks. $500 would go a long ways toward the 1100s, IBS, stereo, etc., etc., etc.

tgoody14
07-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Then put the 500 bones you saved towards all the cool gear we're going to talk you into shortly.

He went with the XLV over a LSV... Better make that a $1000! 😜😎

Just yankin your chain man! Beautiful boat and welcome to one of the greatest forums you'll come to love!!

Taylor

mcdye
07-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Completely agree......I always think of the spare for function, not for looks. $500 would go a long ways toward the 1100s, IBS, stereo, etc., etc., etc.

ditto, If it is like the others I have seen, they are directional tires to boot..

kdcdds
07-22-2014, 02:19 PM
I already put a POS spare on it and am going with a cover. thanks for echoing my sentiments. and yes, this is a great forum. I was on the bonanza forum for a few years (beechtalk--Beechcraft airplane stuff), and that was a great forum. this one is comparable, but the prices of stuff for planes is nonsensical. that was a very short lived hobby

chadjitsu1
07-22-2014, 02:56 PM
I would suggest that you take this conversation to the general tab instead of the classified section on this forum, you will get a lot better response from the group. This area is really for selling stuff and wanting to buy stuff.

kdcdds
07-22-2014, 03:02 PM
can someone move this to general, or do I need to do it

bergermaister
07-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Done. Good point - wasn't even paying attention to the location. Too busy drooling over those wheels.

kdcdds
07-23-2014, 11:41 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/23/u7u3u2ah.jpg

Followed recommendations.saving a few hundred dollars and just bought a 25 dollar spare tire cover

kdcdds
07-23-2014, 11:43 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/23/sy7ypy4e.jpg

Also bought this really cool soft sided cooler, after reading about the soft sided coolers on this site.it fits great under the open bench seat and doesn't scratch the boat getting it in and out (like a hard cooler)

garyholl
07-23-2014, 12:16 PM
Font get too worried looking at other boats. The one you have is awesome! Enjoy!

kdcdds
07-27-2014, 12:08 AM
I spent the weekend in Texas on cedar creek lake in 2 different boats: my brother in laws air nautique, and his neighbors cobalt.
All I have to say is "damn,I miss my moomba"
Back to God's country and my boat in a few days.....

ranger098
08-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Keep in mind you have the signature moomba, so its one of the nicest moombas you can buy. Mainly IMO moombas are cheaper cuz they use lower quality fabric on the seats (crack and fade quicker), the guages arent the best (mine arent even waterproof, but they still work fine), I dont have a tower light but instead i have a light pole that i stick in the back of the boat (very old school), and usually there are new awesome features on the other brand boats they arent in the moomba of the same year (like touch screens and surf systems and such. Still, i maintain that my moomba is SICK!!!!! And yours is truly epic too. congrats on your boat man, i wish i had an XLV

kdcdds
08-04-2014, 02:54 PM
I now have 1100lb bags in back, bilateral, and cannot drop the rope surfing. Not sure it is technique, the board, or the boat
Board: ronix Cortez
Setup: 8-11mph. 1100 almost full surf side, nonsurf side empty, front about half full, wake plate 50%.
While making a slight turn to surf side, the wake cleans up a lot and gets enormous. Perhaps I should drive in an arc

Me: 220lbs. My son 125--surfs fine w/rope. My bro is 185 and he cannot let go of rope either. When he leans even the slightest bit forward, the board submarines on him.

garyholl
08-04-2014, 04:51 PM
I now have 1100lb bags in back, bilateral, and cannot drop the rope surfing. Not sure it is technique, the board, or the boat
Board: ronix Cortez
Setup: 8-11mph. 1100 almost full surf side, nonsurf side empty, front about half full, wake plate 50%.
While making a slight turn to surf side, the wake cleans up a lot and gets enormous. Perhaps I should drive in an arc

Me: 220lbs. My son 125--surfs fine w/rope. My bro is 185 and he cannot let go of rope either. When he leans even the slightest bit forward, the board submarines on him.
These are all my issues too. Can anyone help us?

kdcdds
08-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Just spoke to several sources, including wake makers, and they say that a thicker board with more float is the answer-- I think I am going to go with the o'brien haze. Alternatives that are similar are the ronix marshmallow and the obriens celsius

Whitey
08-04-2014, 05:04 PM
I have an XLV with Sumo 900's run about 11.0 MPH surf with CWB ride. Everyone that has been behind my boat with any balance can free ride. The wake should not be the issue, could be a combination of skill level with the board as wake makers says. We are actually bored with the CWB ride and would like to get a couple of new boards. I have no idea what to buy as far as a different board. The CWB ride has been a great board to get up and free ride on though.

tgoody14
08-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Try putting the wake plate all the way up and you need more weight in the boat. Think of it like this... More boat in the water (sitting deeper) the stronger the push will be behind the curl (wave) that comes off the back of the boat...

You can't just put tons of weight in the back corner and expect a great wave.

You have to have weight in the front of the boat to keep the bow down in the water. It also helps to have weight along the surf side to give the boat a good lean for the curl...

One last thing, it helps to have weight in the back of the non surf side. This helps keep more of the boat down in the water.

Hope this helps

bergermaister
08-04-2014, 06:58 PM
You have plenty of weight. Board may be part of it.

But '8-11mph' is a pretty big range. Small increments can have a big impact on your wave.

Any video available?

kaneboats
08-05-2014, 09:48 AM
With the 1100 back there you likely need more in the front. I'd also start with the wake plate all the way up. Also, I wouldn't start at 8, I'd start at 12 to get the boat moving and wake formed up. Then slowly back your speed down while watching the wake (with no one surfing) about 0.5 mph at a time. At some point you should see the wave clean up and get real pretty. May want to check your speed with a gps app on your phone.

kdcdds
08-09-2014, 09:54 AM
2 things:
1. local shop has an inland surfer demo that looks like it has never seen water. thick buoyant board. any opinions on inland surfer brand and a real fiberglass/wood board?

and, completely off topic:
2. I continually see people trailering their boats with their boards in the racks. is this ok, even though the owners manual says not to do it? i have the factory racks.

garyholl
08-09-2014, 10:04 AM
2 things:
1. local shop has an inland surfer demo that looks like it has never seen water. thick buoyant board. any opinions on inland surfer brand and a real fiberglass/wood board?

and, completely off topic:
2. I continually see people trailering their boats with their boards in the racks. is this ok, even though the owners manual says not to do it? i have the factory racks.
I have been and no problems yet, fingers crossed. I hope it is ok. I trailer about 150 miles each way at around 65. I just end up bringing so much crap I really don't have any other place for them!

wolfeman131
08-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Inland Surfer boards are great, IMO. Which model is it?

You should NEVER leave boards (surf or wake) in the racks when the boat is on the trailer! Not only can you damage the boards, but you may have one heck of a lawsuit on your hands if/when one flies into traffic.

kdcdds
08-09-2014, 10:04 PM
inland surfer red rocket
I weigh 235

kdcdds
08-09-2014, 10:49 PM
I just rec'd my new cover. It is a blue Westland. Ordered from overtons. Cost was about 450 delivered. I don't think I will use the button cover anymore. It doesn't breathe well, imhohttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/10/vyryhebe.jpg

wolfeman131
08-10-2014, 07:44 AM
Red rocket is a very nice board. It's make for bigger guys and, while not as agile as the Flyboy Big Boy, it's a great cruiser that will still let you throw some tricks.

brain_rinse
08-10-2014, 07:59 AM
You can also have a ton of fun with it since it is so stable. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/10/5etapaqu.jpg

BamaMojo
08-10-2014, 10:52 PM
I have an XLV with Sumo 900's run about 11.0 MPH surf with CWB ride. Everyone that has been behind my boat with any balance can free ride. The wake should not be the issue, could be a combination of skill level with the board as wake makers says. We are actually bored with the CWB ride and would like to get a couple of new boards. I have no idea what to buy as far as a different board. The CWB ride has been a great board to get up and free ride on though.

I am same place, looking at p5 model x and inland surfer blue lake...

Whitey
08-10-2014, 11:29 PM
I'm 175, I'm not sure I have enough weight to move model x enough.

168rod
08-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Just spoke to several sources, including wake makers, and they say that a thicker board with more float is the answer-- I think I am going to go with the o'brien haze. Alternatives that are similar are the ronix marshmallow and the obriens celsius

I'm 6'4 240ish and ride a 5'7 Ronix Parks Carbon Thruster ... Really enjoy it and can surf wireless all day until I do stupid stuff and fall. Here's a vid ...

http://vimeo.com/102097177

kdcdds
08-12-2014, 12:16 AM
What kind of boat? Also, what is your boat setup

168rod
08-12-2014, 02:54 PM
2014 Mojo
330 HP Indmar

900 - Surf Side, appx 600 port, 500 - Center, 650 - IBS
Surf Flow in 2nd position
11.7 mph

kdcdds
08-12-2014, 03:30 PM
just to clarify: you fill 900 on both sides at once, or just surf side? it appears that you fill all bags completely?
thanks again

bsharer
08-12-2014, 10:53 PM
I have a 2006 XLV. Here is what I do to mine to go without the rope. I have a Hyperlite Broadcast 4'8" and stock ballast bags.

Put factory front center sack in the rear locker on the port side, put factory rear locker sack where the front sack was, put the starboard rear locker sack under the observer seat on the port side. That sack is fed off of the previously capped off fitting from the port side locker sack. It fills from the drain fitting and I put a valve and a hose on the fill fitting so it will sort of vent and fill the port locker sack and fill this sack together. The sack in the port locker does not fill up all the way, its all bunched up in there. I run with the wake plate all the way down. It sounds stupid, but it works, and it was practically free. 10-11 mph depending on additional people in the boat other than my 3 girls and my wife. There is not enough weight in the front of the boat this way to try any wakeplate adjustments. There is enough push to allow you to go without the rope, but you will need to practice finding the right speed and stop people from moving around to keep it consistent.

When I finally change bags I plan to put 1100 in port locker, 400 in starboard locker, factory bag center front, 400 under observer seat.

168rod
08-13-2014, 08:46 AM
just to clarify: you fill 900 on both sides at once, or just surf side? it appears that you fill all bags completely?
thanks again

Surf side full (900 lbs), port or non-surf side apps 600lbs, center full (500 lbs), and IBS full (650 lbs), surf flow 2nd position, wake plate 3/4 up, and 11.7 mph. Also, only have wife in the boat driving ...

When we have other folks in the boat, it's a case of verbal ballast movement, i.e., moving people around. With our boat, when we have friends out, we put one or two in the bow and another one or two in the back corner surf side. This really makes the wave a lot bigger and longer ...

Hope this helps ...

kdcdds
08-13-2014, 02:52 PM
sorry, what size is the ronix parks carbon thruster

gisepi
08-13-2014, 05:54 PM
So i used to spend a lot of time in an XLV and we never had any issues with the wave. What we would do is fill the coffin bag (i think 1250 lbs) full, and then i think we ran 750's in the rear. Filled surf side rear full and plate all the way up. Speed was between 10-11 mph and bingo worked great. With this boat i do remember a little arc in the driving to make it perfect but nothing to crazy.

Hopes this helps

168rod
08-13-2014, 06:41 PM
sorry, what size is the ronix parks carbon thruster

I bought the 5'7 model because of my size (6'4, 240). I was afraid to go with the 4'7 or 5'1 due to spending that much money and not enjoying it; but, I think I could have gotten away with the 5'1, the 4'7 would have been way too small. However, I do have a blast with the 5'7 and can surf wireless for a very long time on it.

Hope it helps ...

kdcdds
08-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Inland Surfer Red Rocket or O'Brien Haze

which one should I buy?

wolfeman131
08-15-2014, 06:54 PM
Red Rocket all day long.