PDA

View Full Version : ski wake

rvette
07-17-2014, 08:33 AM
Looking to possibly upgrade from an outback (DD) and looking for options on the ski wake behind the mondo and lsv. Any suggestions? Thanks

Stazi
07-17-2014, 08:43 AM
Looking to possibly upgrade from an outback (DD) and looking for options on the ski wake behind the mondo and lsv. Any suggestions? Thanks
It's not going to be as flat as a DD. I have a neighbor with a 2013 LSV and he complains about the ski wake. I offered to trade him my 2004 LS but he won't go for it. LOL

kaneboats
07-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Look at the OBV. Decent ski wake and does everything else too.

mikenehrkorn
07-17-2014, 09:02 AM
+1 for the OBV -- it's no where close to flat but pretty ski-able IMO

iwaterskihard
07-17-2014, 09:08 AM
No boat other than a 3 event DD boat will give you a really good ski wake. It's why those boats were built in the first place.
Even the OBV can't match the wakes with the position of the motor and the weight distribution. They make it skiable but not ideal!

kaneboats
07-17-2014, 10:51 AM
No boat other than a 3 event DD boat will give you a really good ski wake.

Uh. I believe he said he wanted to upgrade from that ancient design.

gregski
07-17-2014, 11:46 AM
I've tried skiing behind a pre-2006 LSV and my 2007 LSV. (I believe the pre-2006 LSV hull is now the current OBV hull) Neither experience was what I would describe as enjoyable. The earlier hull design made a wake that was acceptable if you kind of stood up and "drifted" across it but not so with any kind of "cut". This could be my ability. I'm only an OK skier. I can occasionally but not consistently get all 6 balls in the course - a better skier might be able to handle a less than ideal wake better than I. So, I'm done skiing unless I can go out with someone with a DD. You just can't have it all (despite the good marketing).

kaneboats
07-17-2014, 11:54 AM
(I believe the pre-2006 LSV hull is now the current OBV hull)

The pre-2006 LSV became the OBV in 2006-2008. The OBV got a total redesign in 2009. That's the one I was talking about. No, it's not a DD hull but it has a credible ski wake compared to all the other v-drive boats including the old Outback V.

tarheelskier
07-17-2014, 12:49 PM
What speed do you ski? Above 30-32 mph the OBV will give you a skiable wake, but nothing is going to compare to your DD. My wife and I ski at 34-36 and its a very good wake.

gregski
07-17-2014, 12:57 PM
I'm usually in the 30-32 range. For my ability, I could feel how it gets "easier" above 32 in open water but in a course it just comes at me too quickly so I stayed below 32. It sounds like my experience would apply to the 2006-2008 OBV but the 2009 and up OBV could be better.

skiyaker
07-17-2014, 01:02 PM
Back to the OP's question- Anybody ski the Mondo? Pictures or video? Somebody throttle that thing up to 34mph and bust out the kidder and snap some video.

The 2008 OBV is definitely skiable in open water. On the course it's a challenge but not a death wish. It's a few hundred pounds lighter than the 2009-current model so that helps.

marman
07-17-2014, 01:53 PM
I have looked at the ski wake on mine and had a friend out with me who is a course skier who checked it out. His comment was that it wasn't too bad and was a little surprised. He had his Mastercraft DD out so we skied behind it instead. He is going out with me next week probably and I will try to get some video of him. I will say for sure his DD wake is awesome for skiing. He talked me into skiing behind his and I must say I really enjoyed it.

rvette
07-17-2014, 09:16 PM
Thanks for all of the replies so far. My wife is a recreational skier at 30mph. Sounds like the mondo might be ok. How about the lsv? I can get a pretty good deal on either one right now. Thanks again

gregski
07-17-2014, 09:55 PM
Well like I said, I didn't enjoy skiing behind the LSV. Don't get me wrong, I love our LSV, I just have no intention of ever skiing behind it again.

patrick232
07-18-2014, 08:42 AM

Head over to Columbus and I'll give you a pull behind the Mondo. I'm thinking Griggs on Sunday evening.

BensonWdby
07-18-2014, 09:13 AM
There are many factors to a wake that make skiing difficult. The width and depth of the troughs, the shape of the wake, the peak-to-peak width, the shape of the peak, elevation change between the peaks, and the 'hardness'. I have a friend with a MC 209. A very nice multi-purpose DD boat. It is pretty much unskiable at anything under 36 mph unless you have perfect body position at all times. The owner had developed a style of 'cringing' as he came into the wake to try to absorb the impact. It has the hardest wake I have ever skied against. The point here is that even DD can have undesireable wakes. The only way to know for sure is to ski them. There is a reason they don't use V-drives to pull tournaments, and why not every DD is tournament approved.

yooper
07-18-2014, 09:40 AM
I used to have a Supra 22SSV and now have a Mojo. The ski wake LOOKS bigger on the Mojo, but is friendlier than the SSV. Hard to describe, but I think it is softer and easier to cut through. For a big v-drive, it's actually not that bad. I would pretty much always get wake to wake air on the SSV!

That said, I rarely ski anymore unless I'm out with a friend that has a ski boat.

rvette
07-18-2014, 08:44 PM
thanks everyone for the additional replies. Patrick232- I appreciate the offer but I am out of town on Dale Hollow as we speak and will be here a little while longer. Have you skied behind yours? I'd appreciate your opinion if you have. I am leaning toward the Mondo. Thanks again!

patrick232
07-19-2014, 07:26 PM
thanks everyone for the additional replies. Patrick232- I appreciate the offer but I am out of town on Dale Hollow as we speak and will be here a little while longer. Have you skied behind yours? I'd appreciate your opinion if you have. I am leaning toward the Mondo. Thanks again!

Haven't been up on skis since 06 and that was behind our old rinker. Enjoy Dale Hollow and get with us when you get back for a ride and pull behind the Mondo.

AugerIn00
12-19-2015, 11:54 AM
I am really curious if you guys have any more information on this thread. I am about to pull the trigger on a 2016 Mondo. One of the reasons that I am choosing the Mondo is that I am assuming is a capable slalom boat. I know it's not going to be great, but if it's terrible, I might consider getting a bigger boat, and using my brothers ski ray as the ski boat. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

rvette
12-19-2015, 12:48 PM
AugerIn00- I originally started this thread. I did go with the Mondo and wife enjoys sking behind it just as much as our DD. She is a slalom skier at 30mph. Hope this helps.
Rvette