PDA

View Full Version : Help dialing in the wake ...

blackcup
07-17-2014, 02:05 AM
Spent 5 hours out on the water today trying to dial in the wake.

My wife and I both ride goofy so we might be at a slight disadvantage. Have done a lot of reading and played with all the settings and just cannot get the wave to "push" us along without a rope.

Now it could 100% be me or it could be the wave. I tried absolutely everything today to be able to drop the rope and there just wasn't enough of a push to keep me going at speed with the boat.

Here is a clip from today. What do you guys think? See anything that pops out? How does the wave look? That is set at 10.5MPH, 650lb rear goofy at 100%, center 500lbs at 100%, 650lb regular side at 0%. Flow at setting 3. Wake plate at 100%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8MZG5-5_o0&feature=youtu.be

Klos
07-17-2014, 07:54 AM
I would try to slow the boat down a little more. It helped with my boat. I ride around 9.5. Maybe put some weight in the bow too

Stazi
07-17-2014, 08:33 AM
You need 900+lb bags in the rear (100% full on the surf side, maybe 50% on non surf)and add a 650lb IBS up front, deploy the Flow, and slow the boat. to 9.5-10mph

kaneboats
07-17-2014, 08:48 AM
Agree with above. Looks too fast for the amount of weight you are running.

moombadaze
07-17-2014, 09:06 AM
as others are saying-it looks way fast, slow down .5mph at a time and watch the wave, your speedo could be off so don't just go by it, the wave should form a slight curl to it-that should be your speed or very close to it.

I have surfed my lsv with basically the setup you have and had a good wave height and could free surf very easily.

but with the flow system, are you not supposed to fill both rears the same amount ? I could be way wrong on that since I don't have it

mikenehrkorn
07-17-2014, 10:18 AM
Search for Mike Mandley's thread on setup for the Flow -- he's got a lot of great detail.

blackcup
07-17-2014, 01:14 PM
Yep I read through his post before heading out yesterday and tried it out as well ... my gopro died but I did spend a while with the regular rear bag at 50% as per his directions.

I will slow down and see what happens.

That vid above make it look like im almost at wakeboarding speeds ... quality goes to shit when u upload to youtube

mmandley
07-17-2014, 03:14 PM
Your getting the set up right, the problem with lack of push is strictly the rear of the boat isnt deep enough.

650 bags are going to point out as the problem up front, also speed, you will want to go down to 9.5 and see how it works. I know our boat really likes 2900 RPM. I don't know that exact speed because we have been having problems with our paddle wheel. Its being replaced next week.

You can try the 50% in the offset <port> bag and as long as the wave is not washing out then it will give you more push off the back of the boat.

I would not add any Nose weight with your set up yet, as in IBS because that will only lift the rear of the boat out of the water making the wave smaller.

blackcup
07-18-2014, 01:28 AM
Your getting the set up right, the problem with lack of push is strictly the rear of the boat isnt deep enough.

650 bags are going to point out as the problem up front, also speed, you will want to go down to 9.5 and see how it works. I know our boat really likes 2900 RPM. I don't know that exact speed because we have been having problems with our paddle wheel. Its being replaced next week.

You can try the 50% in the offset <port> bag and as long as the wave is not washing out then it will give you more push off the back of the boat.

I would not add any Nose weight with your set up yet, as in IBS because that will only lift the rear of the boat out of the water making the wave smaller.

That was it! Finally rode ropeless after my 3rd day of trying. It was getting damn frustrating ...

I set the non surf side to 50% and had the other two maxed. Flow plate at 3rd setting and speed at 9.4mph. Wave was dreamy ... Can't wait to see what it is like with more than just one person in the boat!!

Switched it over to the regular side and holy shitters ... that is a nice wave.

kaneboats
07-18-2014, 08:00 AM
I think you owe us some pics of the "dreamy" wave!!!!!!!!!!

mmandley
07-18-2014, 11:35 AM
That was it! Finally rode ropeless after my 3rd day of trying. It was getting damn frustrating ...

I set the non surf side to 50% and had the other two maxed. Flow plate at 3rd setting and speed at 9.4mph. Wave was dreamy ... Can't wait to see what it is like with more than just one person in the boat!!

Switched it over to the regular side and holy shitters ... that is a nice wave.

Glad it worked out for you, Note, as you add weight to the Goofy it will keep getting better to a point, once you start seeing that tall wave with a short pocket, have someone larger sit in the bow on the surf side.

As you get more and more people you can have someone sit on the port side but you might find you have to lower the bag weight to keep your weight clean.

Now you have a good base to work with on your wave. Its a balancing act with your weight in the boat as much as it is you on the board.

Also glad I could contribute to you getting her dialed in.

mikenehrkorn
07-18-2014, 01:28 PM
You blow me away with your wealth of info Mike.........do you keep a big notebook on your boat to record all this stuff???? I only say that in a somewhat joking manner because that is an exact thought I had just last weekend as I can never remember all the setup. I can barely remember what speed my son and daughter like to wakeboard at... :)

saskyrider
07-18-2014, 02:54 PM
SWEET!! Glad to hear it worked for you... I put a 370 tube sack under the seats on the goody side and was able to fill the regular side bag to about 90% it kept wave clean and lengthened it out. I find I have a lot more control shaping the wave with my mondo than I did with my 05LSV. On my old boat if it wasnt all the way up the wave was not ridable ropeless.. with the mondo I can play around a lot more.... fun fun fun

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

saskyrider
07-18-2014, 02:54 PM
Sorry to clarify. .. I mean usi g the wakeplate for shaping the wave

mmandley
07-18-2014, 05:08 PM
You blow me away with your wealth of info Mike.........do you keep a big notebook on your boat to record all this stuff???? I only say that in a somewhat joking manner because that is an exact thought I had just last weekend as I can never remember all the setup. I can barely remember what speed my son and daughter like to wakeboard at... :)

Its just what I do, Surfing to me is the main reason why I have the boat and for me its all about making that insane wave, and it pains me to see boats pass that are surfing and all I see is white wash.

The least I can do is help my SC family make there's as nice as I can.

Saskyrider, I know what you mean with the wake plate and adjustments. First thing I noticed when we weighted our Mojo was the plate actually works in all settings.

Now me and my bro Steve like the plate all the way up, buddy Carlos likes 1/2 and the newbies get 0 and the wave is always clean.

Its a little more finicky on Goofy but over all its clean in all settings.

I think this has to do with the hull shape not being as flat as the LSV on the bottom

blackcup
07-19-2014, 03:00 AM
So Wakemakers got the 900s in today so I pulled the trigger.

2 x 900 Sumo's
1 x 650 IBS

and all the hardware I need for the install. Also got the kit that allows me to use the factory bags if I can find a place for em.

Shipped same day so I'm pretty stoked. Hoping it gets here sometime next week!! :cool:

saskyrider
07-19-2014, 10:11 AM
You are going to be very happy with that setup!!! Enjoy!