PDA

View Full Version : XM7 / clamp

mikenehrkorn
07-16-2014, 10:40 AM
I have a pair of XM7s using the stock Exile clamps on my tower. From time to time the music cuts out and when I move the speakers a bit it comes back on. I'm thinking that the speaker posts and/or the clamp may need to be cleaned to create a better connection.........any advice on what product to use and how to clean them?

Thanks.

jmvotto
07-16-2014, 10:45 AM
dielectric grease on the connections should help

Boonejeepin
07-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Call Exile. They can help.

mikenehrkorn
07-16-2014, 10:52 AM
Sorry for the stupid questions, but do I just spread that grease over the whole connector, post, everything? Is there any area that I need make sure that the grease does NOT get to? Just want to make sure that I don't go from intermittent issue to no music at all.... :)

Thanks Joe!!

mmandley
07-16-2014, 11:07 AM
I have had this issue before and sometimes its as simple as getting the speaker position and tightening it down with the supplied wrench.

DO NOT over tighten them or you will pull the threads out.

Generally I have seen it as the male post causing the issue. Using dielectric won't hurt it. If you causes a problem just wipe it off the post.

MLA
07-16-2014, 11:09 AM
One of the issues we have experienced, is the spring like tension of the single point contact strip in the female side of the post. Over time, they can wear a witness mark on the male post, reducing the tension and this contact. This can be exaggerated when the locking bolt is not tight behind finger strength. Unbolting the clamp, rotating it 180 then remounting to the tower will help.

David Analog
07-16-2014, 11:28 AM
I've experienced the identical issue as MLA and rotating the collar 180 degrees usually worked. Also, beyond the cautionary notes mentioned above, make sure that both bolts (F & R) are tightened 'exactly' the same and that the F & R collar overlap is 'exactly' the same. A 1/4 phone jack only has a very limited contact point between a flat blade and round post and you can easily disrupt this connection if you cause the collar to warp due to an uneven collar installation.