PDA

View Full Version : Front ballasts for surfing?

blackcup
07-15-2014, 01:28 PM
Hey ... got my '14 Mojo out on the water this weekend and did some surfing. Loved it and was impressed with the wake. But I'm already looking at adding some weight to it :o

Would you guys say that the front 650lb ballast upgrade from wakemakers is something that is worthwhile? If anyone has it, what do you think? Easy to install?

http://www.wakemakers.com/moomba-piggyback-front-ballast-system-upgrade.html

The guy at WM told me via chat that I should grab the 1100lb bagbuster upgrade:

http://www.wakemakers.com/2013-supra-and-moomba-rear-upgrade.html

What are your thoughts?? I have the Moomba flow system on it as well.

Thanks!

Stazi
07-15-2014, 01:34 PM
Hey ... got my '14 Mojo out on the water this weekend and did some surfing. Loved it and was impressed with the wake. But I'm already looking at adding some weight to it :o

Would you guys say that the front 650lb ballast upgrade from wakemakers is something that is worthwhile? If anyone has it, what do you think? Easy to install?

Thanks!
If you don't have a front bag you should definitely get the IBS. More weight up front will lengthen the wave.

Jwredmon101
07-15-2014, 01:38 PM
I wouldnt fill the 1100 up all the way if you did get them .. You can actually drowned the Flow system where it will not work as intended. The most I had heard working was 900 .. and YES to the IBS system. Makes a ton of difference! Good luck and post some pics when ya get it dialed in.

blackcup
07-15-2014, 01:39 PM
perfect ... because it does seem really short right now.

is the IBS the link that I posted above? http://www.wakemakers.com/moomba-piggyback-front-ballast-system-upgrade.html

also ... the next step down from WM is the 750s ... is there really that much of a difference from the 600s that come in it stock?

jstenger
07-15-2014, 02:45 PM
Get the 900# Sumo rear sacs and the IBS.

Jwredmon101
07-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Yeah what he said. There is a 900 Sumo rear option on the drop down menu when selecting bags in the kit.

blackcup
07-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Yeah what he said. There is a 900 Sumo rear option on the drop down menu when selecting bags in the kit.

weird ... this is all I see:

Jwredmon101
07-15-2014, 03:56 PM
yes that is weird... thats the exact kit I ordered my 900s with.. might want to give WM a call.

blackcup
07-15-2014, 04:11 PM
WM is sold out the 900s for at least a few weeks. They are getting the Pro series in at the same price within a week.

The rep said that I should definitely get the 1100s. He knows 2 others who run the Flow with 1100s and have no issues whatsoever. I still am leaning to the 900s because of what you and others have posted here. I don't want to make the Flow redundant u know?

Jwredmon101
07-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Could always get them and just not fill them all the way.

mmandley
07-15-2014, 04:47 PM
I have several threads and tons of pictures, video on the Mojo with Flow that I have done over the last two summers. I am actually going to be uploading more today.

I will not say that the 1100s won't work, but in my testing from 650s all the way to 1500 rears, the 900 perform the best.
You also need to be careful because if you over weight the rear of the boat the Flow will not work, it will just flow and wash out everything.

This is also only true on the Regular side, if you are surfing goofy then its a whole other setup to get the best wave.

If you are not running a Flow, then more weight on Surf side only is always better.

You absolutely need the IBS for a decent Mojo wave. We run nearly 1700-1900 in the nose due to hard tank, IBS, 450 bag on seat and 1 or 2 adults in the nose.

blackcup
07-15-2014, 05:47 PM
I have several threads and tons of pictures, video on the Mojo with Flow that I have done over the last two summers. I am actually going to be uploading more today.

I will not say that the 1100s won't work, but in my testing from 650s all the way to 1500 rears, the 900 perform the best.
You also need to be careful because if you over weight the rear of the boat the Flow will not work, it will just flow and wash out everything.

This is also only true on the Regular side, if you are surfing goofy then its a whole other setup to get the best wave.

If you are not running a Flow, then more weight on Surf side only is always better.

You absolutely need the IBS for a decent Mojo wave. We run nearly 1700-1900 in the nose due to hard tank, IBS, 450 bag on seat and 1 or 2 adults in the nose.

Yeah I was reading your review earlier today until I got pulled away from the computer. My wife and I both ride goofy. How would you say that changes things?

mmandley
07-15-2014, 06:18 PM
Yeah I was reading your review earlier today until I got pulled away from the computer. My wife and I both ride goofy. How would you say that changes things?

I will get my latest Goofy wave posted, vimeo is being a pain right now,.

On the Goofy you have a couple of factors working against the wave, prop rotation, offset weight.

My Wife surfs goofy as does half my crew so its imperative I get a great goofy wave.

With goofy it seems to still work best with classic weighting and listing. With the Flow i have found the more weight on goofy the better, and you still use the flow but the boat will be listing.

I have run 1500 enzo bag on the goofy, 500 hard tank IBS 650 and 450 on my bow seats. This creates a monster goofy wave but its still not as long as I would like.

Recently we added 400lbs of steel shot bags. <lead but steel> and I put 120 around driver seat, 160 behind driver in storage, and 120 in bow under the dash area. This allows more weight to be centralized. Over the 4th was the first time doing this and it was insane. Goofy riders where loving the wave. To my trained surf wave eye the boat was now over weighted in the rear with that 1500 and passengers and was creating a really tall wave but it still has good length.

I now have switched the 1500 back out for a 900 and will be out again this next Sunday or Monday 20-21st weather permitting.

As for the flow setting 2 or 3 works best.
I find that speed right at 10-10.5 works, for us its 2900RPM
Wake Plate 50-100% up depends is you want more push.

I will post more finding as we continue to work on the goofy.

What you will find is if you run off set weight, or let too many people sit on the observer side the wave washes out. You can test this by moving people around.

if your on FB look me up at https://www.facebook.com/mmandley
All my videos and pics go on my page. Normally its tagged with Moomba Boats as well.

BamaMojo
07-15-2014, 06:41 PM
IBS is a must. Made a big difference for my Mojo. Install is very easy.

2012 Mojo

uniwarking
07-15-2014, 07:52 PM
IBS and 950's for me as well, very nice wave. With the flow, should work well as Mike has pointed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackcup
07-15-2014, 10:06 PM
Sweeeet good to know. I went in to the local Moomba dealer here and he jumped up into the bow and said that the 650lb sac wouldnt fit. He said you might get it filled to 50% if you are lucky because the bow isn't that deep.

He was talking about what Fly High offered through Barefoot Intl ... so maybe they just have a different product offering than Wakemakers.

So this:

will definitely fit up front on a '14 Mojo? Are you guys able to fill it right to the top?

If so, I'm gonna order that now and then grab the 900s when they are back in stock!

Thanks guys

wolfeman131
07-15-2014, 10:52 PM
That is the IBS I run and I fill it 100% as well as 1,100's in the rear lockers. I also add a 370 under the port seats and one of the bricks in the surf side corner.

Only thing that happens with that IBS is the front cup holders get pushed out.

mmandley
07-16-2014, 11:47 AM
Not only does the 650 fit and fill to 100% Wake Makers is actually working on an 850 bag that I hope to test when they get it. They are making one with extended legs.

madmat
09-16-2014, 03:39 PM
blackcup how did you go with this? I just got a 14 Mojo and am thinking about the doing the same thing.

Did you go 900 or 1100?

Thanks

Matt

jmvotto
09-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Not only does the 650 fit and fill to 100% Wake Makers is actually working on an 850 bag that I hope to test when they get it. They are making one with extended legs.

15 mojo is going to need more ballast, 850 plus Enzo sacs in the rear:o

blackcup
09-22-2014, 12:41 AM
blackcup how did you go with this? I just got a 14 Mojo and am thinking about the doing the same thing.

Did you go 900 or 1100?

Thanks

Matt

Did 900s in the rear ... 650 up front. Should have done 1100 cuz they fit. When we only have 3-4 people in the boat I fill up the 540 and put it on the surf side.

For me it was all in the board. I moved from the Byerly Buzz to the P5 Razz and it was night and day. This weekend I was testing out a TINY Danielo Carbon (4'3") and it was dreamy.

ericgreen182
09-23-2014, 01:54 AM
Get the 750lb IBS, it is only $15 more than the 650. It is on the same page and drop down window as the 650 on wakemakers. I installed it on my '13 mojo and it fits/works great. It lengthened my surf wake. It took me 5 min to install, stupid easy to install. I plan on upgrading to the 900's because I have heard reviews that the 1100's can bury the surf system. How is the flow surf system on your boat ? Is it worth my investment ?

Thanks!

ericgreen182
09-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Get the 750lb IBS for the MOJO from wakemakers not the 650. It fits perfect in the MOJO and is super easy to install, it took me 5 minutes to install it. Not sure why everyone talks about the 650, my guess is not that many people know about the 750 because it is a new product. It will push up the cup holders as someone previously mentioned in this thread. The fit is perfect otherwise, you will even still have a little room left over in the bow on each side for storage.

ericgreen182
09-25-2014, 05:32 PM
BTW the 750 is only $15 more than the 650

blackcup
09-30-2014, 01:27 AM
good advice for sure ... if I knew I would have grabbed the 750.

jedandsara
05-23-2015, 11:30 AM
Anyone have pictures or a diagram of the IBS install in a Mojo and do the 1100s fit the rear lockers and fill completely without any modifications to the locker? Just got my kit and planning to install this weekend.

North Woods Mobius
05-24-2015, 06:31 PM
I see almsot all Mojo posts in this thread, but I'm looking for some guidance on additional front ballast for my '14 LSV. Our boat defintiuely needs more nose weight, and I don't have enough chunky friends to help out! It looks like Wakemakers only has a 500 lbs IBS option for the LSV. Is there any other options you guys would suggest for additional bow weight for an IBS? I don't really wanna throw concrete or lead shot in my boat as we are skiers as welll ...

Any thoughts for an LSV guy looking for some help?

rca
05-24-2015, 10:38 PM
I've got a 2011 LSV and I'm pretty sure my IBS is 650. Works well too.

muehlcj
05-25-2015, 06:33 AM
Anyone have pictures or a diagram of the IBS install in a Mojo and do the 1100s fit the rear lockers and fill completely without any modifications to the locker? Just got my kit and planning to install this weekend.

I'm not sure this guy knows much about surfing (smirk) https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?19314-Mojo-Surf-Ballast-Setup&highlight=Mojo+ballast+upgrade

cornrickey
05-27-2015, 12:45 PM
If you don't have a front bag you should definitely get the IBS. More weight up front will lengthen the wave.

Not necessarily. With my gates I no longer use front weight. It's completely a hull design /equipment used kind of thing.

mmandley
05-27-2015, 12:55 PM
I see almsot all Mojo posts in this thread, but I'm looking for some guidance on additional front ballast for my '14 LSV. Our boat defintiuely needs more nose weight, and I don't have enough chunky friends to help out! It looks like Wakemakers only has a 500 lbs IBS option for the LSV. Is there any other options you guys would suggest for additional bow weight for an IBS? I don't really wanna throw concrete or lead shot in my boat as we are skiers as welll ...

Any thoughts for an LSV guy looking for some help?

500 will work wonders for the boat, the 650 is the normal option people will buy but you don't always get 100% full.
You will need 750-1100 in the rear of you run the 500 IBS in the LSV.

Derrick
06-09-2015, 06:45 PM
I just installed the 750 lb ibs in a 2014 LSV and it fits without any issues. We did take the cup holders out. The bow filler cushion covers the empty holes though so it's a non issue. I would have liked to have the new hose that came with the piggy back kit be about a foot longer so I could run it up under the bow backrest instead of directly from the port to the vent hole in the hull. It also made a huge difference in the wake. Worth the investment.

cornrickey
06-11-2015, 11:58 PM
Everytime I fill mind up I end up emptying it due to weak wave