PDA

View Full Version : Just received my boat .... batteries not connected?? HELP!

blackcup
07-12-2014, 01:39 AM
Hey all ... after waiting almost 2 months for my boat to ship out to me I finally received it today.

Since it was being shipped cross country, the dealer didn't install the tower speakers. I followed the instructions and everything seemed to go pretty smooth ... until I went to power it up and found out that everything was dead. No lights, no accessories, no nothing.

So I checked the batteries and they weren't connected. Just a bunch of loose wires laying around.

I have never used a dual battery system before so I was hoping someone could tell me the proper way to hook them up? Obviously red goes on + and black on - but there are a few extra wires laying around and I am not 100% sure how to connect.

Here is what I have so far:

http://s9.postimg.org/dvkwv8ftb/battery.jpg

I am assuming that battery 1 is closest to the bow of the boat. Battery 2 is closer to the stern.

The two thick reds are connected to battery 1 and 2 positive terminals.
The one thick black is connected to battery 2 negative terminal.
Another thinner black wire is connected (using a wingnut) to Battery 2 and the other end is connected to Battery 1 negative terminal.

When I switch it over to battery 1 ... everything lights up ... but no stereo. When I switch it over to battery 2 ... everything lights up ... but no stereo. When I have it on 1&2 ... same. Everything lights up ... but no stereo. The red stereo light does turn on though when I hit the toggle switch.

So at this point I have no idea if I connected the tower speakers properly because I can't get any power to the stereo at all.

Did a water test before it shipped and the stereo was fine. So I'm guessing the batteries aren't connected properly ... but I thought I would come here first to see what the experts had to say!!

Hoping to get out early tomorrow morning so any help is appreciated!!

moombahighrider
07-12-2014, 01:48 AM
everything is working except the stereo? Can you trace the yellow wire off the back of the stereo? Does it connect directly to a battery?- it should. The red wire on the back of the stereo should connect via the stereo switch.

blackcup
07-12-2014, 01:53 AM
Nothing is connected to the battery other than what I connected above ... I can trace the yellow and red wires to see where they go ... I'll do that now.

When you say the back of the stereo you are referring to the deck that is in the glovebox right? Not the round stereo control thing under the throttle?

As you can tell I have no idea what I am doing :D Pretty disappointed that the dealer just tossed it to me like this and didn't even give me any instructions

blackcup
07-12-2014, 01:56 AM
Oh and Battery 1 in my diagram is a deep cycle battery.

moombahighrider
07-12-2014, 02:02 AM
Yes, unit in glove box. The back of that has the wiring that matters. It should be wired into a loom and may be hard to trace. On my boat, which is older (2008) there is a resettable breaker that affected some electronics (stereo) and not others. It is to the right of the batteries. Do you see anything like that in that proximity? Maybe a photo of your battery compartment and associated wires back there would be helpful...

blackcup
07-12-2014, 02:08 AM
http://s29.postimg.org/v5x0yzw5v/photo.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/v5x0yzw5v/)

blackcup
07-12-2014, 02:09 AM
There is a pic of the batteries. Yes there is a resettable breaker as well. I tried to reset it earlier but nothing happened. I will run out and trace the wires and try to reset it again. Thanks alot.

moombahighrider
07-12-2014, 02:10 AM
What about the extra wires you mentioned? Where are they?

blackcup
07-12-2014, 02:10 AM
Here is the pic of the switch.

http://s7.postimg.org/glsok2byj/image.jpg

blackcup
07-12-2014, 02:12 AM
What about the extra wires you mentioned? Where are they?

The extra wire is just another black. I am not sure where exactly it is coming from but it just has a small round connector on it ... the same as what would go on the wingnut connector on battery 2.

moombahighrider
07-12-2014, 02:15 AM
That would likely be a ground and would create the issue you are having, if not connected. Does it look as though it could have been connected to the negative wingnut of one of the batteries?

blackcup
07-12-2014, 02:42 AM
That would likely be a ground and would create the issue you are having, if not connected. Does it look as though it could have been connected to the negative wingnut of one of the batteries?

that was it! stereo works fine now ... :D

i followed that loose wire and it went to the amp.

there is another loose black (same connector on the end) that cannot connect to anything. i followed it as far as i could and it looks like it goes down into the boat.

any idea what that one could be?

blackcup
07-12-2014, 02:45 AM
Oh and also ... maybe this is normal not sure ... but when the key is turned in the RUN position the CHECK ENGINE light is on.

moombahighrider
07-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Check engine light turns on until motor is running.

moombahighrider
07-12-2014, 09:20 AM
That other connector likely is ground for other accessories. Are you saying it doesn't reach the batteries/ isn't long enough?

blackcup
07-12-2014, 11:15 AM
No it definitely will reach. Just not a spot for it unless i attached 2 grounds to one terminal?

Kma4444
07-12-2014, 11:31 AM
There would be nothing unusual about doing that. Obviously want to make sure it's a ground not a power.

blackcup
07-12-2014, 12:03 PM
and ground connections are the small connectors beside the negative terminal right? Which battery would I connect it to? B1 or B2 or does it matter?9

moombahighrider
07-12-2014, 12:25 PM
On the ground side, It really doesn't matter, as the two batteries are connected together via the ground link that you show in your drawing (ideally, you would take it to one battery or the other for ground loop purposes, but that's not a big deal for now- don't worry about it.)

No problem connecting two leads to one connector on the battery. The fact that the cable in question is black and that is goes straight into the depths of the boat floor without going through a circuit breaker or fuse tells me it is likely a ground. Go for it.

moombahighrider
07-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Ground and negative terminal are the same- just multiple terms for the same thing in the 12volt dc world.

blackcup
07-12-2014, 12:30 PM
and ground connections are the small connectors beside the negative terminal right? Which battery would I connect it to? B1 or B2 or does it matter?9

99% sure I have it hooked up properly. Here is my diagram.

http://s24.postimg.org/easjunfvp/battery1.png

moombahighrider
07-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Well, I'm not sure what switch you have, but did you connect the wires to the battery switch or were they already terminated? My concern is where you show one battery connected to post 1 and the other to post 1+2. Is that correct? I would expect battery 2 to be connected to post 2, not 1+2. I am not 100% on that though. If it was already connected to the switch before you took ownership, I would not mess with it for now.

On the negative/ ground side, it looks good. Nice job!

moombahighrider
07-12-2014, 12:40 PM
On second glance at your first post, I think you are good with the switch connections. You mentioned that you got power on both position 1 and 2, which I think means the batteries are terminated where they should be. Maybe someone else had more insight on the dual battery switch that comes on the new boats.

blackcup
07-12-2014, 12:53 PM
On second glance at your first post, I think you are good with the switch connections. You mentioned that you got power on both position 1 and 2, which I think means the batteries are terminated where they should be. Maybe someone else had more insight on the dual battery switch that comes on the new boats.

yup thats it exactly. it came like that from the factory so I didn't mess around with it!

Thanks everyone for the help. Going to take it out now and give 'er its first run!! :o

moombahighrider
07-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Have fun. Good luck!

jstenger
07-12-2014, 01:17 PM
He has it correct. The labels on the front of the switch are deceiving. If you look on the back side of the switch, you will see that battery 1 post is behind battery 1, battery 2 post is behind battery 1+2, and the common post is behind battery 2.

MLA
07-12-2014, 03:20 PM
99% sure I have it hooked up properly. Here is my diagram.

http://s24.postimg.org/easjunfvp/battery1.png
You need to dismount the switch and make absolute certain that the cables are connected correctly. On both the Perko brand and Blue Sea brand switch, both widely used, the battery cables are opposed and the common is in between them. Based on your diagram, and im ignoring the nomenclature on front as it does not translate directly to the back, your main battery cables are incorrect.

The batteries' main B+ cables should each terminate to the #1 and #2 labeled post, and ALL output cables go to the "C" post.

jstenger
07-12-2014, 04:11 PM
You need to dismount the switch and make absolute certain that the cables are connected correctly. On both the Perko brand and Blue Sea brand switch, both widely used, the battery cables are opposed and the common is in between them. Based on your diagram, and im ignoring the nomenclature on front as it does not translate directly to the back, your main battery cables are incorrect.

The batteries' main B+ cables should each terminate to the #1 and #2 labeled post, and ALL output cables go to the "C" post.
On the Blue Sea switch that comes on the Moombas, the common is not between battery 1 and battery 2. Looking at the back of the switch, battery 1 is on the right, common is on the left, and battery 2 is on the bottom.

MLA
07-12-2014, 05:27 PM
On the Blue Sea switch that comes on the Moombas, the common is not between battery 1 and battery 2. Looking at the back of the switch, battery 1 is on the right, common is on the left, and battery 2 is on the bottom.

Is that the Dual-Circuit Plus Switch or the 9001 dual bank? I could be mistaken, and will double check in the AM. Either way, there is no 1/2 post and battery cables should not connect to the "C" post.

MLA
07-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Ok, quick look online at the most common Perko and Blue Sea 9001E, the batt-1 and batt-2 posts are opposing each other. But, on the Blue Sea 6007 Mini, you are 100% correct, the #1 and C are opposing each other, and the #2 is below/center of those two. I think the OP's switch is wired correctly, its just the labeling on above diag does not correlate with the back of the switch, and could be misleading.

jstenger
07-12-2014, 06:13 PM
If the boat was ordered with dual batteries, then it should have come with the 6007 mini, 4 position switch.

http://www.bluesea.com/products/6007/m-Series_Mini_Selector_Battery_Switch_-_Red