PDA

View Full Version : WakeSurf Without the Rope

mdean22
07-11-2014, 09:57 AM
We have a 06 mobius lsv. When I wake surf I can only wake surf without the rope for 10 seconds or so before I go off the back end. What seems to work the best so far is filling the back ballast tank of the side I am attempting to surf and putting everyone in the boat on that side. We also put the wake plate up. I still can only wake surf for about 10 seconds without rope. Does anyone have any suggestions. Here is a video of it. Ignore the family in the audio yelling lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TLW4ULRnOY&feature=youtu.be

slipperyrockTKE300
07-11-2014, 10:11 AM
Your gonna hate this suggestion....

quit dropping the rope.

Hang onto the rope while you learn how to ride the wave for a few weeks.

if you have slack in the rope....you ARE surfing.

Edit: after watching the video, it seems to me that most of your weight is on the rear foot. Your putting the brakes on and you will fall behind the wave.

Are you sure you are a goofy footer?

mdean22
07-11-2014, 10:50 AM
The problem I was having was when I shift to my weight up to the front I shoot up on the wake and surf onto the platform . Then I lean back some and shoot off the back end. I am trying to find that sweet spot. Idk if I need to ride further back on the wake, adjust speed on boat, or weight on boat, or just spend more time finding the sweet spot.

And I wakeboard goofy, but Im equally as bad goofy vs regular on a wakesurf ha.

slipperyrockTKE300
07-11-2014, 11:03 AM
I would suggest taking more time to find the sweet spot by practicing your stance, learning even weight distribution on the board & learning when to put on the brake and when to speed up.

Dropping the rope while you learn is hindering your progress.

yes, I know it isn't cool to be filmed while holding the rope, etc etc.

but as they say.... you have to learn to crawl before you can run the Boston Marathon.

mmandley
07-11-2014, 11:52 AM
We have a 06 mobius lsv. When I wake surf I can only wake surf without the rope for 10 seconds or so before I go off the back end. What seems to work the best so far is filling the back ballast tank of the side I am attempting to surf and putting everyone in the boat on that side. We also put the wake plate up. I still can only wake surf for about 10 seconds without rope. Does anyone have any suggestions. Here is a video of it. Ignore the family in the audio yelling lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TLW4ULRnOY&feature=youtu.be

Just from seeing what you filmed, couple tips I would give if you where behind my boat.

First look where you want to go. You staring at the back of the boat, the water, the platform only makes you target that spot. Try and get used to looking into the boat, preferably at the Observer Seat for your sirf side. <Regular would look at the driver>

This helps keep your shoulders in line and board in line with the rear corner of the boat.

Second is physics.

You can not honestly expect to stand still on a board, with moving water under it and surf.

The thing with surfing is its ever-changing. Just like each time you go out in the boat and set your wave, it will always be a little different, unless you have the same people, same weather, same water depth, same fuel level something is always changing.

This in fact requires you to constantly change your forward-backward momentum on your board.

When I teach people how to surf, Surf 101
1st Learn to balance on the board to get ready to be pulled.
2nd Learn to get up
3rd Learn to Stand up and pull yourself into the wave
4th Learn to Balance in the wave without falling off.

Now your ready for Surf 102
This is the phase your at in your video.

You are balanced now
You have a good stance

Now its time to work that wave.

While holding the rope practice speeding up, and slowing down in the wave, then practice carving up and down in the wave so your working the entire wave.

Once you can do all this and keep slack in your rope then you are getting ready to toss it in.

When you toss the rope, just drop it to your feet. Don't throw it, this tends to set people off balance and they fall. Plus your mind is concentrating on throwing a rope and not hitting anyone.

Next is typically when you hold the rope your lead arm is extended towards the boat, this automatically balances you slightly forward, and unknowingly you compensate by leaning on your back-foot. This is ok until you drop the rope and now you are off balance again.

To fix this remember to keep that lead arm out forward towards the boat.

When you start to fall out of the wave or fall back two things really help, one is bend your knees and point your lead arm to the boat and this will weight the board forward.

You mentioned shooting forward to the platform and then leaning back and falling off the wave, this is because your movements are too drastic. Its a very fine line leaning forward and back.

Just like your boat is constantly adjusting speed when surfing you too will be constantly leaning forward then back then forward and then back again. If your standing completely still on your board and surfing in the wave, it will only last until the boat makes a speed adjustment and the water flow reflects this and bucks you out.

Keep practicing and Surf it up man. Your doing good already.

slipperyrockTKE300
07-11-2014, 12:12 PM
On my boat, tossing the rope into the boat has become a game of horse shoes.

Getting the handle on the swim deck pylon is a ringer!

Jwredmon101
07-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Just from seeing what you filmed, couple tips I would give if you where behind my boat.

First look where you want to go. You staring at the back of the boat, the water, the platform only makes you target that spot. Try and get used to looking into the boat, preferably at the Observer Seat for your sirf side. <Regular would look at the driver>

This helps keep your shoulders in line and board in line with the rear corner of the boat.

Second is physics.

You can not honestly expect to stand still on a board, with moving water under it and surf.

The thing with surfing is its ever-changing. Just like each time you go out in the boat and set your wave, it will always be a little different, unless you have the same people, same weather, same water depth, same fuel level something is always changing.

This in fact requires you to constantly change your forward-backward momentum on your board.

When I teach people how to surf, Surf 101
1st Learn to balance on the board to get ready to be pulled.
2nd Learn to get up
3rd Learn to Stand up and pull yourself into the wave
4th Learn to Balance in the wave without falling off.

Now your ready for Surf 102
This is the phase your at in your video.

You are balanced now
You have a good stance

Now its time to work that wave.

While holding the rope practice speeding up, and slowing down in the wave, then practice carving up and down in the wave so your working the entire wave.

Once you can do all this and keep slack in your rope then you are getting ready to toss it in.

When you toss the rope, just drop it to your feet. Don't throw it, this tends to set people off balance and they fall. Plus your mind is concentrating on throwing a rope and not hitting anyone.

Next is typically when you hold the rope your lead arm is extended towards the boat, this automatically balances you slightly forward, and unknowingly you compensate by leaning on your back-foot. This is ok until you drop the rope and now you are off balance again.

To fix this remember to keep that lead arm out forward towards the boat.

When you start to fall out of the wave or fall back two things really help, one is bend your knees and point your lead arm to the boat and this will weight the board forward.

You mentioned shooting forward to the platform and then leaning back and falling off the wave, this is because your movements are too drastic. Its a very fine line leaning forward and back.

Just like your boat is constantly adjusting speed when surfing you too will be constantly leaning forward then back then forward and then back again. If your standing completely still on your board and surfing in the wave, it will only last until the boat makes a speed adjustment and the water flow reflects this and bucks you out.

Keep practicing and Surf it up man. Your doing good already.
Spot on .. Good advice right here.. Movements are to drastic.

kaneboats
07-11-2014, 12:36 PM
I got a lot better at wakesurfing when my 15 y/o daughter was driving for me. I didn't want to make her keep turning around in the narrow river with a battleship to drive. I would hold the rope till I was tired then toss it and ride till I lost it or tried a 360 and bit it. You get a lot more surfing time in this way (so does everybody else especially if they do it too).

bergermaister
07-11-2014, 01:45 PM
All great advice. Another thought, How big are you? How big is the board?

You = Big, then Board = Longer (easier to learn)

tgoody14
07-11-2014, 02:21 PM
Lots of advice here...

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=24528

KG's Supra24
07-11-2014, 03:07 PM
After watching the video, it looks like you have the basic idea but you were froze! Don't just stand there, bust a move ... and what Mike said.

mdean22
07-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Thanks yall for all the advice. I will give it another try this weekend. I am 185 lbs the board is the Liquid Force Fish I forget the dimensions, but I remember looking at the weight chart and we staying within that. I think I just need more practice and not to let go of the rope like yall are saying.

ninedriver
07-15-2014, 01:10 AM
All great advice. I began wakesurfing for the first time this past weekend and what really clicked for me on the whole "keep moving" thing was the following;
When you find yourself zooming towards the boat and apply the brake (shift weight aft), as soon as your fwd momentum stops, get back on the gas. Another words, don't brake until you're back in the pocket where you want to be and then get off the brake, too late, you'll wash out. Constant, constant subtle shifting of weight.
Oh yeah, waaayyy addictive too!

Kma4444
07-15-2014, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=mdean22;247458]We have a 06 mobius lsv. When I wake surf I can only wake surf without the rope for 10 seconds or so before I go off the back end. What seems to work the best so far is filling the back ballast tank of the side I am attempting to surf and putting everyone in the boat on that side. We also put the wake plate up. I still can only wake surf for about 10 seconds without rope. Does anyone have any suggestions. Here is a video of it. Ignore the family in the audio yelling lol

Hey, we're on Hartwell and if that's where you usually surf, you are welcome to come try out our wake just to see what it's like. We'd be happy to offer any suggestions though we're not experts by a long shot.

We're over by the Asbury Park ramp.