PDA

View Full Version : Flow for OBV ???

jester
07-09-2014, 09:58 PM
Has anyone heard an update for the flow on the OBV? I am trying to wait but it is summer time and would like to know if it is in the works and if I will be able to get it this year or have to wait another year.

sandm
07-10-2014, 05:47 AM
2015 mojo

problem solved :)

mikenehrkorn
07-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Talked with two different dealers in the last couple of days and both say there is nothing yet for the OBV and may be 2015 before its available.

slipperyrockTKE300
07-10-2014, 11:38 AM
imho....I wouldn't even consider one for the NG OBV.

mmandley
07-10-2014, 11:41 AM
Has anyone heard an update for the flow on the OBV? I am trying to wait but it is summer time and would like to know if it is in the works and if I will be able to get it this year or have to wait another year.

Jester I wouldn't waste your time or money on this. Just sell your boat and buy another one, you already said you wanted something a bit bigger.

mikenehrkorn
07-10-2014, 05:40 PM
imho....I wouldn't even consider one for the NG OBV.

Jester I wouldn't waste your time or money on this.

Why is that? Do you not think it would work??

mmandley
07-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Why is that? Do you not think it would work??

No its not that at all.

Just talking to Jester, he really needs a bigger boat, so no need to spend money on his OBV and give him more reason to keep it when he just needs to buy a bigger boat and get what he wants, more wake and more wake surf ability.

slipperyrockTKE300
07-11-2014, 09:31 AM
mikenehrkorn, as I mentioned, it is just my opinion.

Given our deep hull design, I think it is an unneeded accessory. The boat surfs great with nothing more than 750's in the rear and 400 in front.

If I'm gonna spend an additional $1300+ on the boat, I'd put into into electronics or something (stereo) that would make a huge difference.

mikenehrkorn
07-11-2014, 09:50 AM
Agreed, but I have both regular and goofy surfers in my family, so really looking for the Flow to save on time (no constant emptying and filling of sacs) as well as wear and tear on the ballast pumps.

slipperyrockTKE300
07-11-2014, 10:02 AM
That's easily solved...

I too have family members who surf regular and goofy. I surf both sides of the boat.

If you have your pump timers set accurately, set one side to drain, the other to fill and then jump in the water and float around with a beer until both pumps shut off.

As far as wear and tear on the pumps - you should replace the impellers once a year whether you have the flow or not.

But hey, hope you get to buy one soon!

Man if you think filling and emptying takes to long now with the NG OBV....you would have absolutely hated surfing off a DD Moomba!! Sacs, pumps and hoses all over the place. Took a good 20 minutes to set up one side.

We all ooed and awed when Skiers Choice (Natalie Carerra) 1st announced the 2009 OBV had a 4 minute fill time.

kaneboats
07-11-2014, 12:02 PM
You can get that X fill system too that will let you pump it across one side to the other too. We all surf regular but my youngest daughter looks like she's gonna be goofy. Guess I'll learn some goofy too.

wolfeman131
07-12-2014, 12:42 PM
We've surfed an OBV with FLOW and there are certainly benefits to using it. First, you can run the boat more level/less list. I think this makes the boat much easier to drive, especially for Momma. Second, I think it lengthens the wave without knocking it down like increased speed and bow weight do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slipperyrockTKE300
07-12-2014, 07:44 PM
I know my 2009 NG OBV doesn't like having both rear bags filled and riding around. The engine did strain more than I liked.

As far as momma driving, she's been dead for three years. However, my wife has no problem driving the boat.

mikenehrkorn
07-13-2014, 08:58 AM
We've surfed an OBV with FLOW and there are certainly benefits to using it.

Is it not yet available to the general public? Or are they getting the Flow for the LSV and just using it on the OBV? I ask because these dealers are telling me they can't even get it yet.

slipperyrockTKE300
07-13-2014, 11:26 AM
just wanted to state that the comment about my momma and my wife driving fine was meant as a joke.

Didn't want anyone to misinterpret what I wrote and get upset.

But the NG OBV does really labor with both 750 sacks filled at the same time.

I think you may have noticed that Drew - it was when Reed Hansen was riding behind my boat.

jester
07-13-2014, 11:58 AM
We've surfed an OBV with FLOW and there are certainly benefits to using it. First, you can run the boat more level/less list. I think this makes the boat much easier to drive, especially for Momma. Second, I think it lengthens the wave without knocking it down like increased speed and bow weight do.

Drew, Good to hear they have the demo out but dang you are getting me excited and not having a release date is killing me slowely inside.

Jester I wouldn't waste your time or money on this. Just sell your boat and buy another one, you already said you wanted something a bit bigger.

Dang it Mike you are not helping. I need to find a boat I want at a price I want from a dealer I want. The first two are the most Important but not in a rush to make a decision.

slipperyrockTKE300
07-13-2014, 03:31 PM
just to play devil's advocate here, and nothing in particular meant towards anyone...

BUT.... I'm rather curious...why do you think that having the flow on a OBV will make you a better wakesurfer?

jester
07-13-2014, 08:58 PM
just to play devil's advocate here, and nothing in particular meant towards anyone...

BUT.... I'm rather curious...why do you think that having the flow on a OBV will make you a better wakesurfer?

I thought that is how it works. A new board and the Flow will make me a pro. I just want to improve my wake without having to add more weight to the boat.

wolfeman131
07-13-2014, 09:57 PM
Is it not yet available to the general public? Or are they getting the Flow for the LSV and just using it on the OBV? I ask because these dealers are telling me they can't even get it yet.

We were on a 2015, so it might have been a one-off design.

slipperyrockTKE300
07-14-2014, 05:28 AM
I thought that is how it works. A new board and the Flow will make me a pro.

LOL - I totally understand this!

Every time I get new running shoes, I'm positive I'm gonna turn into an Ethiopian.

Jwredmon101
07-14-2014, 09:16 AM
I thought that is how it works. A new board and the Flow will make me a pro. I just want to improve my wake without having to add more weight to the boat.
Just my .02 . I ride my mondo just listed with no flow. I also rode a new friends mondo a week ago or so. Same weight just both bags filled in the back with flow. Flow makes a big difference in the length for what we all could tell. if your looking for a longer wave the flow will give you that. I can attest!

mikenehrkorn
07-14-2014, 09:19 AM

I'm sure of very few things, but I am sure that the Flow will not make me a better surfer. :) I'm looking at it for the pure convenience -- evenly weighted boat and simple switch between regular and goofy surfers.

slipperyrockTKE300
07-14-2014, 11:47 AM
I need to see one of these contraptions in action I guess.

It's just real hard for me to fathom something like this making a huge difference on the NG OBV.

Jwredmon101
07-14-2014, 01:34 PM
And I reread the thread and nowhere did anyone say ANYTHING about it making them a better surfer.

slipperyrockTKE300
07-15-2014, 05:31 AM
And I reread the thread and nowhere did anyone say ANYTHING about it making them a better surfer.

My point exactly! :)

a devil's advocate is someone who, given a certain argument, takes a position they do not necessarily agree with (or simply an alternative position from the accepted norm), for the sake of debate or to explore the thought further.

I guess getting the flow is like upgrading your stereo - just because it is loud and a lot of it, it ain't gonna improve your taste in music, but it enhances convenience.

as I mentioned...I need to see one of these contraptions in action.

It's just real hard for me to fathom something like this making a huge difference on the NG OBV that makes it worth the $$$$.

Hmmmm, now if we could get dimensions and photos - I bet we could do a "group fabricate".

kaneboats
07-15-2014, 10:28 AM
The design is to make it easier to switch from one activity (wakeboarding) to another (surfing) without having to sit around and wait for pumps. It was not designed to improve your surf wake.

slipperyrockTKE300
07-15-2014, 11:13 AM
"It was not designed to improve your surf wake. "

Ohhhhhh. Got it thanks.

A $1300 (+ the cost of installation) device meant just for convenience - of not wanting to wait for 4 - 8 minutes. LOL.

I've also read (SC article) that states when using this flow thing, the swim platform is to be level AT or just slightly below the surface of the water.

So I guess anyone who installs the flow and who upgraded to the 750's are gonna be re-buying 400's?

nitrodude24
07-15-2014, 12:24 PM
So what you guys are saying is any surf enhancement is for convenience only. Ie. Surfgate, nss, swell, convex vx, cats,... I dont think so. I m sure you can get great waves behind any boat with enough weight. I just wanna do it with the least possible save money and be consistent. Delayed convergence works... the flow is a delayed convergence device. I m waiting to get mine on the LSV to see results.

mikenehrkorn
07-15-2014, 12:29 PM
So what you guys are saying is any surf enhancement is for convenience only. Ie. Surfgate, nss, swell, convex vx, cats,... I dont think so.

I can't speak for anyone else in this discussion, but I have only been talking about the Flow and I have not heard or read anything that makes me believe that the wave is ENHANCED with this device.

Jwredmon101
07-15-2014, 12:34 PM
Has noone read MMandleys review of the flow on his Mojo. Its worth taking a look at. He is getting a longer wave with his flow than with just listing .. and he uses 900's in the back and not the stock bags referring to slipperys comment.It might not have as big of a wave as slamming the boat with 4k weight but.. The benefits in my opinion are better fuel economy, not listing the boat and running more evenly, The convenience of switching from side to side, and better handling when weighted. So it DOES Enhance the whole surfing experience, including the wave.

kaneboats
07-15-2014, 12:36 PM
So what you guys are saying is any surf enhancement is for convenience only.

I don't know how you got there from where we were.

slipperyrockTKE300
07-15-2014, 12:48 PM
I don't know how we went from a thread about the flow on a NG OBV to a flow on Mundo's, Mojo's and LSV's

LOL

I love these discussions. Always a lot of fun to read :)

wolfeman131
07-15-2014, 12:54 PM

post #12 in this thread.

but, what do I know about a surf wave?

slipperyrockTKE300
07-15-2014, 12:57 PM
Come to think of it Drew....I don't believe I have ever seen you (in person or in photos) surfing.

It's always your daughters!

Jwredmon101
07-15-2014, 01:17 PM
I don't know how we went from a thread about the flow on a NG OBV to a flow on Mundo's, Mojo's and LSV's

LOL

I love these discussions. Always a lot of fun to read :)
Im pretty sure the flow works the same on any of the boats .. its still uses the same principal.. I love when know it alls try to call out someone to fit in with the cool
kids and show no logic in their post, and the post is about OBV's .. I know your trying to coin the "NG" but your the only one using it :)

slipperyrockTKE300
07-15-2014, 01:24 PM
"I know your trying to coin the "NG" but your the only one using it "

I may be - but you and others know exactly which model OBV I 'm talking about!

blackcup
07-15-2014, 01:36 PM
Has noone read MMandleys review of the flow on his Mojo. Its worth taking a look at. He is getting a longer wave with his flow than with just listing .. and he uses 900's in the back and not the stock bags referring to slipperys comment.It might not have as big of a wave as slamming the boat with 4k weight but.. The benefits in my opinion are better fuel economy, not listing the boat and running more evenly, The convenience of switching from side to side, and better handling when weighted. So it DOES Enhance the whole surfing experience, including the wave.

can you post up the link to his review? i have the flow on my Mojo and am having a hard time figuring out what it actually does!

blackcup
07-15-2014, 02:03 PM
can you post up the link to his review? i have the flow on my Mojo and am having a hard time figuring out what it actually does!

found it https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?24045-2013-Moomba-Mojo-Flow

Jwredmon101
07-15-2014, 02:06 PM
Yep, thats the one! .. good stuff with videos to!!!!

mmandley
07-15-2014, 05:43 PM
Come to think of it Drew....I don't believe I have ever seen you (in person or in photos) surfing.

It's always your daughters!

I can confirm he knows how to surf and free rope, rode with him in Texas 2 summers ago behind Brad Webb Supra 21 Launch

slipperyrockTKE300
07-15-2014, 06:47 PM
Hey Mike...who's Brad Webb?

I'm just yanking Drew's chain. He and family have been to my home lake in Clermont a few times.

Butttttttt - I still don't ever recall ever seeing him in the water - just in front of a grill burning hot dogs.

jmvotto
07-31-2014, 08:25 AM
Lol, not sure about burning dogs, but he sure is a good cook and a very hospitable one
He also can tear up the surf seen just fine for an old fart....

slipperyrockTKE300
07-31-2014, 09:21 AM
Lol, not sure about burning dogs, but he sure is a good cook and a very hospitable one
He also can tear up the surf seen just fine for an old fart....

Joe - you talkin' about Brad or Drew?

jmvotto
07-31-2014, 09:31 AM
Drew, but Brad can surf as well. Brad likes to eat, just have not witnessed his mastery of the grill yet:cool: