PDA

View Full Version : Damaged prop?!? How Bad?

Jayrodau
07-08-2014, 10:20 AM
My prop hit the side of my trailer when pulling up on the trailer in the water. Wind was blowing hard back of boat drifted over my back left board. Should I get it replaced? Can this prop be repaired? http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/08/abavamed.jpg

zabooda
07-08-2014, 10:24 AM
That's a repair by a reputable prop shop.

kaneboats
07-08-2014, 10:44 AM
They should fix that back to brand new for around $100-125.

csm
07-08-2014, 10:54 AM
I'm sure Nettles can fix that, but not sure if the shipping cost would be worth it if you have a local shop.

I would have thought the guide poles would keep the back end centered enough so the prop couldn't hit the bunks? Guess not.

Jayrodau
07-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Think I can use it this weekend with it like that? Looks like most of the repair shops are backed up from the 4th. I don't really want to spend $600 on a new prop.

kaneboats
07-08-2014, 11:11 AM
It's just bad enough I would not want to use it. Do you have a buddy or a dealer close by that would let you borrow one for a few days?

Might think about investing in exactly the prop you want and getting this one fixed for your backup. That's what a lot of us end up doing when this kind of thing happens.

zabooda
07-08-2014, 11:39 AM
Think I can use it this weekend with it like that? Looks like most of the repair shops are backed up from the 4th. I don't really want to spend $600 on a new prop.

The answer is no. Your ride will be uncomfortable and the excessive vibration will make other parts of your drive train more vulnerable to failure. A spare prop is a must much like having a spare impeller. They are both fairly quick fixes to something that at a minimum would end your boating day and on the other spectrum you would end up with a damaged engine and either towed in or depending on conditions you may need to be rescued. I've seen it all.

Woody929
07-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Kane speaks the truth

parrothd
07-08-2014, 04:42 PM
That's not bad at all..

Does it shake a lot when you drive it? If it doesn't shake to much you can use it. You'll know right away, mine shook the steering wheel pretty good on the hole shot, we used it the entire day like that until I could swap it out. You really need a spare.. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a better prop..

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/09/5apy3unu.jpg

BamaMojo
07-08-2014, 06:43 PM
My prop hit the side of my trailer when pulling up on the trailer in the water. Wind was blowing hard back of boat drifted over my back left board. Should I get it replaced? Can this prop be repaired? http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/08/abavamed.jpg

Yes it can be repaired. I use Skips prop III in n charleston, sc
He will charge u 135 to repair. Will come back brand new. Shipping is about 18usd.
Google him.

2012 Mojo

Jayrodau
07-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Dropped it off this morning and that getting a new prop was under a 30min install. The guys couldn't get it loose with their prop puller clamp. So I ended up leaving it. The said they were going to try putting some heat to it. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/10/u7u5edu5.jpg

REDFIVE48
07-09-2014, 03:52 PM
read someone else used heat on their prop to release, but I always put the prop puller on then use a hammer hitting from the rudder toward the prop. Usually pops off with a few hits on the prop puller, just hard to get a good swing because of the limited room.

Woody929
07-09-2014, 04:26 PM
The first time seems to be the hardest. I had to use a prop puller and a torch to get mine off the first time, the second was much easier. Once I realized it wasn't coming off the first time, I still kept tension on the puller then used the torch to heat up the back of the prop. After a a minute or so BANG! it came right off and hit the nut on the prop shaft. Scared the crap out of me, but it worked.
I changed one at the Jam a couple of weeks ago. The hardest part was pulling the damn cotter pin.

uniwarking
07-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Same thing happened to my stock OJ last year. I got a new ACME ordered, sent the old one in for repair at Nettles and picked up a "weekend saver kit" from Wakemakers.

http://www.wakemakers.com/acme-weekend-saver-traditional-kit.html

It happened to me on the first day of a 3 day weekend, weekend was shot. Dealer had none in stock and wasn't willing to sell the one of their unsold LSV. My local repair shop does a great job on I/O and outboard props but he wouldn't even touch my OJ. Nettles made it look like new. I won't be stuck without a spare and the tools to make a repair ever again!

Woody929
07-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Yes, get the weekend saver kit. Ask Dusty how my kit saved his weekend ;-) Only thing you need to add to it is about a 1-2' piece of 2x4.

REDFIVE48
07-09-2014, 04:34 PM
Kit is pretty pricey, think I got a prop puller from Nettles for 60 or 80 USD. Think I can come up with a bag, wrench, pliers, and cotter pin for less than $100.

Jayrodau
07-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Kit is pretty pricey, think I got a prop puller from Nettles for 60 or 80 USD. Think I can come up with a bag, wrench, pliers, and cotter pin for less than $100.

I totally agree! Way cheaper make your own kit! I am going to send my damaged in to hopefully get repaired. Even though its go some pretty harsh dings I hope they can so the repair!

REDFIVE48
07-09-2014, 05:10 PM
I totally agree! Way cheaper make your own kit! I am going to send my damaged in to hopefully get repaired. Even though its go some pretty harsh dings I hope they can so the repair!

They can fix it, they fixed mine with tears in the metal, came back looking like new

Jayrodau
07-09-2014, 05:11 PM
By the way my stock prop was a OJ 1280 4 Blade 14" x 18" and I am replacing with a NEW ACME 1235 4 Blade 14.5" x 14.25".

Hope I can tell a difference!

kaneboats
07-10-2014, 08:16 AM
You'll be able to tell a difference when you put the hammer down while you have your boat slammed (full of ballast) and your passengers go flying to the back of the boat. :o

gregski
07-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I actually hurt my hand the first time surfing with that prop... I had a very lazy grip and wasn't ready for how strong the boat could pull. For the first time, I've actually started asking the driver to give me less than 100% out of the hole. You'll definitely be able to tell the difference.

Jayrodau
07-10-2014, 04:29 PM
So they can't get my prop removed. They have broke 2 prop pullers and used heat no luck. Saying they are going to have to pull the shaft!!!! OMG I'm sick right now.

bergermaister
07-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Probably a good thing though brutha - sounds like you may be fixing more than one problem at once vs throwing a new prop on thinking you're all good and then finding out later that you're sooooo not.

REDFIVE48
07-10-2014, 05:53 PM
wonder if the key is bent and sandwiched between the prop and the shaft outside it's slot. Thought someone else had a key problem also. Good luck, hope they get it soon.

kaneboats
07-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Pulling the shaft is not that difficult (once you get the friggin bolts out of the collar-- nylock nuts and no room for a ratchet in there so you have to use two wrenches and wrench all the way off. PITA) But the shaft will slip right out of the dripless seal and the strut. Although they may have to remove the rudder too if the prop is still on there.

You may be better off in the long run. About half the time or more if the strike is bad enough to damage the prop the shaft is not true anymore. You probably need a shaft as well. Expect to hear that news next.

Jayrodau
07-11-2014, 10:52 AM
Pulling the shaft is not that difficult (once you get the friggin bolts out of the collar-- nylock nuts and no room for a ratchet in there so you have to use two wrenches and wrench all the way off. PITA) But the shaft will slip right out of the dripless seal and the strut. Although they may have to remove the rudder too if the prop is still on there.

You may be better off in the long run. About half the time or more if the strike is bad enough to damage the prop the shaft is not true anymore. You probably need a shaft as well. Expect to hear that news next.

You were correct. They just called and said they want to cut the shaft off to remove it. I will need a new shaft and new prop. So looks like im down for the weekend. They have to order a shaft.

kaneboats
07-11-2014, 12:08 PM
I would price Elbert's. Might save you some money. No idea why they don't stock the shaft for the LSV. I mean, come on.

http://www.elberts.com/system.htm

Right now I'd just pick the boat up and do it myself. Get it done faster and save money. Order the new prop online too cuz you don't need it till the shaft is in.

Jayrodau
07-11-2014, 03:23 PM
I would price Elbert's. Might save you some money. No idea why they don't stock the shaft for the LSV. I mean, come on.

http://www.elberts.com/system.htm

Right now I'd just pick the boat up and do it myself. Get it done faster and save money. Order the new prop online too cuz you don't need it till the shaft is in.

They want $600 (ACME 1235) + $360 (Shaft) + Labor $300

I dont have anything to cut the old shaft off with. So I am leaning towards letting them do it. Plus, replacing the shaft seems difficult. Hardest thing ive done on mine is replace the steering cable and new water impellor pump.

kaneboats
07-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Well, for starters, if you are going to throw away the prop and shaft you can heat and beat just a little to try to get it off. Have to be careful though so you don't beat up the v-drive at the other end or hurt the strut. I think they don't wanna remove the rudder so they are talking about cutting the shaft. I'd take the rudder out of the way myself if I couldn't get the prop off-- but to each his own.

Jayrodau
07-25-2014, 11:57 PM
I ended up getting the ACME 1433 installed. I got my boat back yesterday and went out today. Seems like my boats got more pep now. My surf wave seemed different. I'm gonna have to figure that out.
Here's some pics!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/26/za2a6ytu.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/26/a2u8u7yb.jpg

Bille
08-07-2014, 10:38 AM
in this picture it also looks like your bottom trailer guard/bracket is bent up. the prop will hit that as well loading on the trailer. mine was just slightly bent and the prop would hit it.