PDA

View Full Version : Bed Liners

chawk610
07-08-2014, 08:17 AM
Got the new Ford a couple weeks ago as a lot of you know. What are yall doing for bed liners? Anyone DIY it?

I will be in this thing a while and want to keep the bed as nice as possible.

Thanks,
Casey

irish-racing
07-08-2014, 08:40 AM
I had the Rhino liner put on my truck bed and it is worth the money to be honest. I don't know of any DIY other then the big plastic shells that are a generic mold to the bed.

maxpower220
07-08-2014, 08:46 AM
My f150 came with a drop in liner. I wouldn't have purchased it, but it keeps the bed nice. I tried a di y product in the past. It looked nice for a while, but did not hold up. Newer products may be better. If you want a spray in, I suggest paying the pros.

bergermaister
07-08-2014, 09:34 AM
There's a newer finish that is more like a teflon coating vs the rubbery stuff. Holds up very well and you can actually slide stuff in and out of the bed if that's important. A bit more spendy but worth it for the long haul. Old truck had a plastic drop in liner and it was retarded... I'd suggest skipping DIY - you get what you pay for.

slipperyrockTKE300
07-08-2014, 09:36 AM
got the liner as an option when I ordered my Ford.

I'm not a fan of the rhino spray in stuff - I think it scratches items that you put back there.

Kinda like sandpaper.

zabooda
07-08-2014, 10:22 AM
I have my truck in now for a Line-X liner. I have it in my old truck at it took a beating and never chipped. They are also putting on a Truxedo tonneau cover at the same time for less than what I can buy it off the internet. Tinted windows will be next.

slipperyrockTKE300
07-08-2014, 10:42 AM
here is a review for spray in liners

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/spray-in-review-line-x-bed-liner-vs-rhino-bed-liner/

sivs1
07-08-2014, 11:12 AM
A factory spray in was an option on my truck when I bought it new. Old truck had the plastic drop in. In comparing both. Things slide around with the plastic one, much easier to load and unload though. The factory applied spray in is rough, can't easily push things in or pull things out. It will scratch items (furniture) if not careful. Things still move around but not as much. Besides the above the only other benefit I have seen between the two, I would get rocks and junk under the plastic liner at the tailgate, with the spray in that's impossible.

kaneboats
07-08-2014, 11:19 AM
I was on the highway one day and one of those cool looking plastic bed liners came flying out and went right over the roof of the car next to me. I'd probably opt for one of the spray kind.

chawk610
07-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Thanks guys... getting a quote now.

zabooda
07-08-2014, 12:34 PM
here is a review for spray in liners

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/spray-in-review-line-x-bed-liner-vs-rhino-bed-liner/

Great article. Thanks. By chance, I went with the right one as I load dirt bikes in the box so traction is a plus+. Interestingly, they talk about the liners fading and the UV protectants that can be used and a roll up tonneau cover would eliminate much of the fade. I had good luck with my 2004 truck with the Line-X and it does depend on the installer's installation method to how long it will last.

patrick232
07-08-2014, 01:49 PM
We used this in 2 different pickups http://www.herculiner.com
Can't comment on the UV as we put ARE truck lids on our trucks.

chawk610
07-08-2014, 02:09 PM
You did the work yourself? This is what I was hoping to do... but I do not want it looking a mess in 5 years.

patrick232
07-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Yes, on the first truck I did my self. On the second truck hand an employee do it, slow day at work.

Take your time scuff the paint and clean the surface as directed.

I went under the rails and taped the tailgate to have clean lines.

moombacraze
07-08-2014, 09:41 PM
I don't know what you will be loading in the bed, but I have a Bedrug and love it. Looks great and things don't slide around at all. I would only recommend it if you are going to put a tonneau cover on.