PDA

View Full Version : Onboard Emergency Tool Kit

Gabbyg88
07-06-2014, 04:47 PM
I carry a emergency first aid kit on the boat but never really thought about emergency tool kit. I saw someone on here posted that they carry a pair of water goggles, which is a great idea I never thought of. What are some other tools you carry onboard incase of an emergency?

Woody929
07-06-2014, 05:50 PM
I now carry the following, and am always adding to it:
Diving mask
Diving knife
Full set of allen wrenches
Both most common size phillips & flat head screw drivers (whatever that size is)
A kit that has a set of small phillips & flat head screw drivers (for working on the audio)
A 5/16 nut driver
A socket wrench with assorted sockets
Spare impeller (no matter what Doc says)
A spare quart of oil & transmission fluid
Long funnel & small funnel
And probably a few other things I can't think of

blackout_58
07-06-2014, 10:26 PM
This above, always come prepared!

Woody929
07-06-2014, 11:54 PM
I think I'll add some needle nose pliers this week also. If the impeller does blow, I'll need a way to get it out.

This weekend alone I used some allen wrenches, some of the screw drivers (large and small), the funnel and oil. Had it not been for the oil, my Saturday trip would've been cut short.

trayson
07-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Harbor Freight 130 piece tool kit:
http://www.harborfreight.com/130-piece-tool-kit-with-case-68998.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_23857.jpg

A few splices, fuses, wire stripper/crimper.

New Impeller

Two spare engine belts (one for the water pump and the other for the alternator)

12v spotlight that plugs into the lighter

Electrical tape

Teflon tape

Dive Goggles, Snorkel, Floating knife

Mini Leatherman

Bag of Zip Ties

Extra skier down flag

Jumper Cables

Air Horn, Whistle

ANCHOR. (if you're boating somewhere and break down, this could keep you from smashing into something)

And since I use ballast bags, I have two pumps because I've seen a friend donate a new pump to the bottom of the river.

I have misc fly high ballast bag fittings with me. Need to add some hose clamps to the spare item bag.

Bottle of mineral oil (because the seal on the base of my in hull depth transducer was leaking a little. But I've since fixed that and I think I'm good now).

Extra dock and anchor line.

Latex Gloves

*Note, I drive a 1992 Supra Sunsport and have found that sh** breaks on my 22 year old boat!

jzelt
07-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Second Trayson's list.
Small tool kit like his that fits in the cubby hole. Was my nicest tool set for a while...

Plumber wrench with handle shortented to tighten the packing nut. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419oXGkLMQL.jpg

Extra packing.

kaneboats
07-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Hmmm. Extra fuses seems like a real good idea.

bergermaister
07-07-2014, 07:00 PM
I have a few various sized corks too - both cork and rubber.

Call me crazy but if I somehow sheared off a ballast pump, have a "whatever" leak below the water line, or lost the transom plug that would be no bueno...

trayson
07-07-2014, 07:03 PM
I have a few various sized corks too - both cork and rubber.

Call me crazy but if I somehow sheared off a ballast pump, have a "whatever" leak below the water line, or lost the transom plug that would be no bueno...

not crazy. I had a thru hull that I was using for a vent line for one of my bags. I ended up going a different direction and don't use that vent line anymore. So to "plug" the thru hull (up by my rub rail) I took a couple inches of ballast hose and shoved a wine cork in it and put a hose clamp on it.

Did you know that a wine cork is PERFECTLY sized for the wakemakers 3/4" ballast hose????

bergermaister
07-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Did you know that a wine cork is PERFECTLY sized for the wakemakers 3/4" ballast hose????

Why yes, as a matter of fact... A Merlot fits quite nicely.

trayson
07-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Another item you should have on your boat is KNOWLEDGE of how things work and what things do and where things are!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard a story of a friend that went out with his son on their boat. It was a tournament boat like we all have with a factory ballast system. One of the lines cracked on a ballast pump and before they knew it, they had water high enough in the cabin that the engine stalled out. They had to offload passengers to another boat that 'rescued' them and they called 911 and the coast guard came out.

Guess what? The boat owner didn't know where the SHUTOFF valve was to the through hull connection that fed his ballast pumps. Wow, just wow.

It's actually surprising that the boat didn't sink. Not sure what happened to the engine. But being able to shut the valve would have made for a LOT less grief.

ninedriver
07-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Another thing to consider is what kind of jack and lug wrench you have on your tow vehicle. You can carry a spare tire on your boat trailer all day long but if you have no means of jacking it up and/or removing the lug nuts, you're outta luck. I picked up a bottle jack at harbor freight, both inexpensive and easy to store, and a collapsible lug wrench that came with 4 socket options. You can easily store them on the boat to always have them or store them on a "dedicated" tow vehicle.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-711-900-AutoGrade-Lug-Wrench/dp/B004SEXO3E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1404859832&sr=8-3&keywords=lug+wrench

trayson
07-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Another thing to consider is what kind of jack and lug wrench you have on your tow vehicle. You can carry a spare tire on your boat trailer all day long but if you have no means of jacking it up and/or removing the lug nuts, you're outta luck. I picked up a bottle jack at harbor freight, both inexpensive and easy to store, and a collapsible lug wrench that came with 4 socket options. You can easily store them on the boat to always have them or store them on a "dedicated" tow vehicle.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-711-900-AutoGrade-Lug-Wrench/dp/B004SEXO3E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1404859832&sr=8-3&keywords=lug+wrench

VERY true. we had a trailer flat and the lug wrench on the tow rig didn't fit. luckily we had a friend with us that had the correct size.

Woody929
07-08-2014, 08:09 PM
I will now be traveling with the 1.5 ton floor jack. When on road trips, I always take my 4 way

cornrickey
07-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Add a volt meter, emergency seal tape, zip ties, assortment of wire connectors

bergermaister
07-09-2014, 01:24 AM
Trayson makes a good point about knowing your boat. Had a friend over the holiday weekend ready to pack it in and head home early or drive 100 miles to the nearest dealer because they didn't have reverse on their Malibu. Spent all day on the water trying not to run into or over anything. (guess you don't realize how much you use reverse until you don't have it.)

It's the Malibu drive by wire setup - before he pulled out I suggested we at least take a peak. So I hopped in and took a look with him. Found an electrical plug going to the tranny had come off. Plugged in, tested, reverse works fine. Probably knocked loose when dewinterizing. While there I pointed out his thru hull shut offs and another mid point drain plug he was unaware of. Anyway the fix took all of 5 minutes.

I went easy on him with the razzing but was kinda shocked he didn't have a clue about any of it.

cornrickey
07-09-2014, 02:54 AM
Good point. I have my manual downloaded on my phone