PDA

View Full Version : FAE

smokedog2
04-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Three hour install with the help of a 5 year old and a 10 year old (for you non-parents – that’s a joke), and two neighbors that cannot shut up and a cell phone that rang constantly and I mean constantly. If I did it again, 1 hour max.

Test run great, even my son said he liked it – unprompted. There are some hooks and tricks and I will be pulling together a pix page. I took several with the digital. PM if you want the pix and a call on some of the more interesting parts that slowed me down. I did call Larry once and I put it together a little off spec but it is solid and the trim plate was a non-issue. Do not pay your dealer to do this (This from a guy that lets his dealer do about everything).

I did get in a hurry at the dock and now need a little repair on the nose thanks to a public dock with a #$%^ piece of metal sticking out the dock. The chip is the size of your thumb to the knuckle and to the fiberglass, but the glass itself is undamaged. The location is right under the nose rail. You have to look to find it. The color is white. Can I get a repair kit someplace? Trailering to the dealer for this would be a pain. I’ll be calling him for suggestions in a few days.

I’m so pissed. I was 45 minutes late cus I hauled some I/O with a dead battery to a dock at the other end of the lake. No good deed goes unpunished.

I’m so pissed.

SD2

Oh, the boat turned over on crank one - after sitting all winter.

Did I ever mention my theory that self inflicted wounds hurt the worst?

I'm so pissed.

Rugburn
04-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Dont be too hard on yourself SD. The boat I bought, the previous owner dropped a wakeboard near the bowlight and put a chip the size of a nickel. He got it repaired ASAP and if he didnt tell me that happened, I wouldnt have believed it. I still cant find where it was. A good body shop will make your boat look new again.

qb12
04-14-2006, 09:26 AM
sd2, spectrum gel coat makes a kit that comes in all factory colors. pretty easy repair.

good luck.

Smrtz
04-14-2006, 10:38 AM
The more you try to avoid something like this the more chance of it happening....I'd be pissed too, In fact Im pissed just thinkin about it.

Im sure it can be fixed and Id like to see the pics when its done. Im sure sooner or later...

I had a trailering issue righht after I bought mine last year.. ended up putting 2 dents in the rubber rub rail I was furious..

Now its just a reminder...

I feel for you~!

zabooda
04-14-2006, 10:59 AM
I got a jellcoat repair kit from Moomba. The chip I had was near the waterline and small so it didn't require a body shop to repair it.

Buttafewcoe
04-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Boater's World and West Marine come to mind.
Both have DIY kits and, on my old Bayliner, I've had pretty good luck with patches. The directions are straight forward and easy enough.
Hope this helps
B

Sharru-Kinu
04-14-2006, 12:33 PM
SD,
Glad to hear that you're happy with the FAE. I just got mine in the mail last week and have not had a chance to install it yet. I'd love to get your pics and pointers - I'll PM you.

About the gelcoat -
The very first time we took our brand new boat out this past January it was just my wife and I. We had literally just picked it up from the dealership and wanted to take a quick spin because we were just so excited. I drive an F350 longbed and once you get the trailer behind that thing, you're moving about 55' of very expensive equipment - in other words, my wife refuses to drive my truck with the trailer. So I put the boat in the water and talk her through backing out and give her VERY specific instructions to just idle out a little and WAIT for me to park the truck. Then I would come down to the dock and slowly talk her through pulling up to the dock and I would be there to "catch" the boat. You can see where this is going. I park the truck and start walking back towards the ramp and dock when absolute horror strikes. My wife has tried to "impress" me by docking the boat herself, only her version of docking is driving 5mph, nose-first into a dock with no bumpers whatsoever. I have to pause and take a few deep breaths just from telling this story.

This was one of those times when you are so incredibly pissed off, but before you can even open your mouth, the wife is already balling hysterically and you don't want to make her even more upset so you try and act like it's no big deal. There was an impression on the bow that was about the size and depth of my fist. Anyway, I went back to the dealer, told them "we got hit by a speeding dock" and about $500 later, the boat is perfect again.

Hope that makes you feel a little better.

Dave A
04-14-2006, 01:14 PM
I have the 2 indentions from the trailer in the rub rail on the nose. Also some small scratches from pulling away from a low dock, a little too fast, plus a nick in the rear seat from a wake board fin, oh yeah, chips out of the swim deck from the nails in the boat house doors, all in the first year. The boat sounds a wreck, but you don't really notice any of this unless you paid for and really care about the boat. Every one else sees a bad-**s Blue Mobius LS.

Can't wait to get in the water tomorrow.

Dave A
04-14-2006, 02:29 PM
And I almost forgot, the bent place where my trailer wheel attaches, from the wheel chock incedent.

Nafplio
04-15-2006, 11:42 AM
I'm interested in the FAE as well. How is the noise level reduction inside the boat? Thanks and hope all is well with the boat.