PDA

View Full Version : HELP Transmission...

tgoody14
07-04-2014, 11:29 PM
So I get back from the Texas Jam, boat went straight to the stall. I pull it out today after work, we all load up, back the boat in the water, I put it in reverse... NOTHING. Going Nowhere!

I'm freaking out. Prop is good. Check levels. Really low tranny fluid. Run to the gas station close by and buy the only thing they have, plain ole Pennzoil ATF fluid. Fill up. Doesn't work. Upon further inspection, find three bolts and three nuts in the hull and realized the shaft had separated after the bolts fell out... Put those three bolts back in, tightened em down, and on our way we went. Mainly tied up today but tomorrow we will be doing more driving/surfing...

So two questions..
Do I need to drain that plain tranny oil out and get the dextron III stuff, immediately??? (Id like to spend tomorrow on the water if I can and replace the fluid on Sunday...)

Also, are those three bolts all I need or am I missing more?

Thanks,
Taylor

Woody929
07-05-2014, 07:55 AM
3 bolts fell out? I could see 1, but 3? Somebody will chime in that knows more than me, but I would drain and put the dextron III stuff in.

tgoody14
07-05-2014, 09:38 AM
3 bolts fell out? I could see 1, but 3?

My thoughts exactly!!! Shaft was still connected when I trailered it at Bethy before leaving. May have just got lucky and only had 1 bolt left in, then on the 7hr haul back it came completely out allowing the shaft to slip out of the coupler... The shaft had slide all the way back that the prop was resting on the rudder.

I have an old school metal reversible oil pump, just don't know how long it will take to pump that generic tranny oil out through the dipstick.

Woody929
07-05-2014, 10:08 AM
It doesn't take too long, I drain mine every off season

kaneboats
07-05-2014, 11:22 AM
You should check your coupler bolts at least annually when you check your alignment. They can vibrate loose even though they have nylock nuts on them (beyotch to tighten cuz you have to hold a wrench on each end and a ratchet really won't fit in there).

Get that tranny fluid out. It only holds about a quart or so-- so you can suction it out in under 10 min.

tgoody14
07-05-2014, 11:49 AM
You should check your coupler bolts at least annually when you check your alignment. They can vibrate loose even though they have nylock nuts on them (beyotch to tighten cuz you have to hold a wrench on each end and a ratchet really won't fit in there).

Get that tranny fluid out. It only holds about a quart or so-- so you can suction it out in under 10 min.

Yeaaaaaa major PITA. Found out the hard way. Vice grips and a slow painful 1/4 turn at a time with a socket and finally got them back tight after 45 mins.

Found some dextron III at NAPA bout an hour ago and they told me I needed to go ahead and take that generic tranny oil out.

If I pump it as close to empty as possible, is it safe to say I can dump the whole quart of Dextron III in there or is that too much?

tgoody14
07-05-2014, 11:54 AM
I'm going off this thread, but it's 2 years old...

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=17933

tgoody14
04-28-2015, 02:50 PM
THREAD REVIVAL!!!!

I'm reviving this old thread of mine because I think when the bolts fell out of the coupler and the shaft slide back several inches it may have effected my seal....

Here's a quick snap shot of a video. You can see the steady stream coming out from the seal.
From what I've been reading there's two different types of seals used on our boats. This is a 2008 LSV. Is this the seal I take off and wrap graphite cord around the shaft or is this the seal that only requires tightening of a nut...

Any help would be appreciated in which way to fix this!

brain_rinse
04-28-2015, 03:57 PM
That's a dripless seal, so no cord. I have not heard of many repairs on those, but maybe you'll get lucky and not have to replace it.

DOCDRS
04-28-2015, 09:26 PM
If the bolts fell out then the alignment would have been off if you ran that prop , ... If the alignment is out it will definitely cause seal failure. You can buy the seals for this and make the repair. The other cause is the use of exhust mani water for cooling of the seals....this hot water overheats the housing causing expansion and leakage

tgoody14
04-29-2015, 07:00 AM
If the bolts fell out then the alignment would have been off if you ran that prop , ... If the alignment is out it will definitely cause seal failure. You can buy the seals for this and make the repair. The other cause is the use of exhust mani water for cooling of the seals....this hot water overheats the housing causing expansion and leakage

Yea I put the bolts back in and ran it another month before I realized the seal was leaking as bad as it was...

Guess I should just let a professional handle this prop alignment/seal replacement. I'm no boat mechanic... :(

rdlangston13
04-29-2015, 07:10 AM
Yea I put the bolts back in and ran it another month before I realized the seal was leaking as bad as it was...

Guess I should just let a professional handle this prop alignment/seal replacement. I'm no boat mechanic... :(

I thought I remembered you having issues with your shaft seal last summer? Seemed like you bilge pump ran a lot at the Jam.

tgoody14
04-29-2015, 08:19 AM
I thought I remembered you having issues with your shaft seal last summer? Seemed like you bilge pump ran a lot at the Jam.

Yea I still haven't fixed it from when I noticed it after the Jam. I'm assuming the 7 hour trip there and 7 hour trip back might have been the culprit on the screws backing off and falling out. When I got home from the Jam and put the boat in the water the following weekend is when I realized the shaft had completely slipped out of the coupler. After I put it all back together and got on the water I lifted the back and crawled under to take a look and make sure the bolts were secure and that's when I saw the stream of water rolling out of the seal....

So I really don't know if the seal was bad beforehand or after I put the shaft back in and bolted the coupler back in place...

I can't seem to find much help on how to replace a Dripless seal like this

tgoody14
04-29-2015, 08:25 AM
The search never brought results so I googled the problem and this old thread came up.... Is this my fix?
https://forum.moomba.com/archive/index.php/t-12889.html

DOCDRS
04-29-2015, 08:33 AM
Yes, I wrote that up when mine was replaced under warranty. I watched the mechanic do it. Where is your cooling hose coming from?

tgoody14
04-29-2015, 09:08 AM
Yes, I wrote that up when mine was replaced under warranty. I watched the mechanic do it. Where is your cooling hose coming from?

Great write up, thanks for that!

I'm not too sure. I would need to get back out there and look around some more