PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Question

supervol0509
07-01-2014, 04:00 PM
Not sure if this should be here or in Service & Repair, but I've noticed that our 03 Outback LSV is bilging water for about 30 seconds every 30-45 minutes. From reading on here, that sounds like it is too frequent. It sounds as though I should check the shaft packing first. This is our first boat, and I basically know zilch about working on it. Therefore, I have no idea where to look at this. I assume it is somewhere in the engine compartment, but can't be sure. Any help on exactly what to look for would be helpful. Also, let me know if there is anything else I should be looking for with the boat in the water, or immediately after I pull it out. When I remove the drain plug, after use, we never have any water, except for maybe a gallon or two that drips out when we go up the hills on the way home. I just called the place that serviced the boat, and they told me I should bring it in to have it looked at. They are about two weeks out on service and repairs, so that would cause me to miss two weekends of lake time :(

REDFIVE48
07-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Not sure if this should be here or in Service & Repair, but I've noticed that our 03 Outback LSV is bilging water for about 30 seconds every 30-45 minutes. From reading on here, that sounds like it is too frequent. It sounds as though I should check the shaft packing first. This is our first boat, and I basically know zilch about working on it. Therefore, I have no idea where to look at this. I assume it is somewhere in the engine compartment, but can't be sure. Any help on exactly what to look for would be helpful. Also, let me know if there is anything else I should be looking for with the boat in the water, or immediately after I pull it out. When I remove the drain plug, after use, we never have any water, except for maybe a gallon or two that drips out when we go up the hills on the way home. I just called the place that serviced the boat, and they told me I should bring it in to have it looked at. They are about two weeks out on service and repairs, so that would cause me to miss two weekends of lake time :(

Sounds like pack bushing to me as mine is just as bad. To see for yourself look for your prop shaft in the engine compartment. If you are on the water, you will probably see it dripping water pretty easily. It is located low in the compartment but should be easy to spot as the pack bushing is bronze and the shaft is silver. I think it's easier to see from the the transmission/V drive access compartment under the rear seat than it is to see from the top (engine access cover).

supervol0509
07-01-2014, 04:26 PM
What am I looking for, as far as the access compartment goes? My rear seat will completely pull out and up. Can I get in there pretty easily? Use a screwdriver? Also, if this is the problem, is it anything of immediate concern? We pull the boat out of the water after every use, so I don't think we are in danger of sinking. Anything else that this can affect?

REDFIVE48
07-02-2014, 10:46 AM
What am I looking for, as far as the access compartment goes? My rear seat will completely pull out and up. Can I get in there pretty easily? Use a screwdriver? Also, if this is the problem, is it anything of immediate concern? We pull the boat out of the water after every use, so I don't think we are in danger of sinking. Anything else that this can affect?

Page 50 of the manual (use this one if you don't have a paper copy: http://moomba.com/downloads/owner_manuals/moomba_03.pdf)

Shaft Log Packing Nut section.

I don't have your year and model so not sure if you have the same V drive access compartment that I do. On my 06 LSV if I slide the rear seat forward, there is a white cover that I can pull up and use to access the v-drive and see the packing nut. If you don't have that, then access from your side lockers after you drop the engine walls down (assuming yours are like mine or at least similar).

kaneboats
07-02-2014, 11:00 AM
I was getting a lot of water and couldn't find the source. Till I looked in the ski locker and saw it gushing out of the side of the empty pump up there. It was cracked across the side and water was blasting out of it while running (and I'm sure leaking out while not running). Replaced it with one from the rear and put a bigger pump in the rear.

supervol0509
07-06-2014, 09:36 AM
So, I checked the v-drive access compartment yesterday. It was kind of tough to tell anything. There was water in that compartment up to just below the packing nut, so I'm not sure how much it was dripping. Should the water be dripping directly from the packing nut, or should I be looking elsewhere? About the water in the compartment, it could be a result of the water intrusion issue, or it could be from me submarining the boat into a wave the day before (which was an accident).

REDFIVE48
07-07-2014, 10:58 AM
So, I checked the v-drive access compartment yesterday. It was kind of tough to tell anything. There was water in that compartment up to just below the packing nut, so I'm not sure how much it was dripping. Should the water be dripping directly from the packing nut, or should I be looking elsewhere? About the water in the compartment, it could be a result of the water intrusion issue, or it could be from me submarining the boat into a wave the day before (which was an accident).

Yes, mine drips from the packing nut, but after spending multiple hours on Saturday repacking with goretex pack, am hoping not to see any drips when I get back on the lake today for a test (finished under the lights on Saturday). Repacking the thing is no fun job, but after I figured out that I need to tighten the pack nut after the first 2 strips go in so I can get the 3rd in, all was fine. Then tightened down again after 3rd and was able to get the 4th in.
Unfortunately I scratched the shaft with my packing removal tool, am hoping this isn't a big deal.

jzelt
07-07-2014, 11:16 AM
It would drip from the packing nut. If you have water to the bottom of that, then you aren't going to see it drip. (Try getting everyone to the bow to move the water out of the way. It is supposed to drip once every minute (I have ours 1 every 30 seconds) to keep it cool and lubricated...

tgoody14
07-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Subscribed...

My bilge is always automatically blasting water out. It's very annoying when tied up with another boat on the bilge side (water goes EVERYWHERE). I must have this exact problem.

tgoody14
07-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Yes, mine drips from the packing nut, but after spending multiple hours on Saturday repacking with goretex pack, am hoping not to see any drips when I get back on the lake today for a test (finished under the lights on Saturday). Repacking the thing is no fun job, but after I figured out that I need to tighten the pack nut after the first 2 strips go in so I can get the 3rd in, all was fine. Then tightened down again after 3rd and was able to get the 4th in.
Unfortunately I scratched the shaft with my packing removal tool, am hoping this isn't a big deal.

Did this solve your problem!? If so can you elaborate on this "repacking" process? I read the page in the Manual listed above, but it doesn't say much other than to check it periodically...

rdlangston13
07-08-2014, 12:02 PM
Did this solve your problem!? If so can you elaborate on this "repacking" process? I read the page in the Manual listed above, but it doesn't say much other than to check it periodically...

Taylor, you should have a dripless shaft seal which is a little different than the rope packing being tightened with the nut.

rdlangston13
07-08-2014, 12:04 PM

Taylor, you should have a dripless shaft seal which is a little different than the rope packing being tightened with the nut.

tgoody14
07-08-2014, 12:09 PM

Well.... Wonder where all that water is coming from then... I'm still thinking that shaft area may be the culprit, considering it separated when all the bolts came out.

It's weird tho because this wknd I lifted the engine compartment after we got on the water to make sure those three nuts and bolts were still tight and didn't see any water in there. Within 30 minutes the automatic bilge kicked on and water was shooting 3ft outta the boat as if I was sinking... Guess I just need to get back out there and pay more attention

REDFIVE48
07-08-2014, 12:18 PM

Yes, lake tested yesterday, wasn't dripping that I could see while under power, shut it down and floated for a bit and saw it dripping about 1 every 5 sec, so I broke out the wrench and tightened it down a little more, then no more drips :)

Here are threads on the packing process, with good info/lessons learned/tools:
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?10032-Prop-Shaft-Packing-Instructions-Brian-Raymond

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?10031-just-replaced-my-shaft-packing

tgoody14
07-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Great threads!!! Thanks!!! I'll definitely be looking into this on Sat. As hard and often as it's blowing that water out, surely I'll see where it's coming from and then go from there

tgoody14
07-20-2014, 05:03 PM
Found the culprit!!!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/21/2ybyzuse.jpg

Boonejeepin
07-20-2014, 05:07 PM
I believe a new seal is about $20. Although, you have to get the shaft out or the coupler off to replace it.

tgoody14
07-20-2014, 11:31 PM
Thanks!
Also found the 4th bolt and nut for the coupler. That's it in the water just below the shaft

tgoody14
07-21-2014, 11:45 AM
I believe a new seal is about $20. Although, you have to get the shaft out or the coupler off to replace it.

After I separate the shaft from the coupler, is this as easy as it seems to loosen the clamps off the old seal, slide the old seal off, slide new seal on, tighten clamps, then re-attach the shaft to the coupler?? Or is there more to the seal than this???

Obviously this is not a fast switch out due to the lack of space to get tools in there, but is that the gist to it???

Boonejeepin
07-21-2014, 12:48 PM
After I separate the shaft from the coupler, is this as easy as it seems to loosen the clamps off the old seal, slide the old seal off, slide new seal on, tighten clamps, then re-attach the shaft to the coupler?? Or is there more to the seal than this???

Obviously this is not a fast switch out due to the lack of space to get tools in there, but is that the gist to it???

Once the coupler is off you can leave the droplets unit in place. Remove graphite seal from dripless unit and then install new one. Make sure to drive the new seal in straight and be careful to not damage the new seal when sliding down the shaft.

Boonejeepin
07-21-2014, 06:38 PM
There is an inside snap ring holding the seal in place.

tgoody14
07-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Once the coupler is off you can leave the droplets unit in place. Remove graphite seal from dripless unit and then install new one. Make sure to drive the new seal in straight and be careful to not damage the new seal when sliding down the shaft.

Great! Thanks for all the info. Sounds simple enough, just going to be time consuming! Muchas Gracias Seņor!

jzelt
07-22-2014, 10:40 AM
I have never done it, but I would be inclined to use some dish soap on the drive shaft to lubricate it so it slid easier thru the seal. (No delicate way to word what I am trying to say, but it goes for everything in life). Lubricate the shaft before sliding it in.

tgoody14
07-22-2014, 10:47 AM
I have never done it, but I would be inclined to use some dish soap on the drive shaft to lubricate it so it slid easier thru the seal. (No delicate way to word what I am trying to say, but it goes for everything in life). Lubricate the shaft before sliding it in.

Wait... Wouldn't dish soap burn my shaft tho... 😳😮

supervol0509
07-27-2014, 09:19 PM
Just to update everyone, my boat just needed an adjustment of the packing nut. The packing hadn't actually gone bad.

tgoody14
08-15-2014, 08:03 PM
Sooo I finally got down below the vdrive to get a close look at this seal I need to replace.... Annnnnnnnnd yeaaaa I thought installing LEDs took some awkward body positions in some really tight spots, but that has nothing on trying to get to that seal and get those clamps off. Definitely gonna have to wait for the off season for this task...