PDA

View Full Version : rope less tips?

Ten85echo
07-01-2014, 01:19 AM
Not sure if I can tell where the pocket is to go rope less? I think I need to be closer to the boat? how does the wake look? I'm running 900 in the rear, center full and IBS bag. I have been running at 10.5-11, and played with the wake plate up and down. Thanks guys

kaneboats
07-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Hold that rope out in your left hand and only use it if you are losing the pocket. Stand down on your front foot till you start catching the boat then brake with your back foot. You will find out you need about 80-90% gas and only 5-10% brake. Also, have any other occupants sit on the wave side.

Beejwest
07-01-2014, 10:29 AM
We teach all our new riders to hold the rope in their front hand until they are comfortable going clear back to the foam in the wave and pumping all they way back to the swim deck without using the rope to do it. Pocket is 6-7 feet long-ish, and it's where the board wants to take off on you and run towards the boat. Also keep your board pointed at whichever surf corner you are using, port for regular or starboard for goofy. That should keep the rail of the board in the correct orientation to the wave, or close anyways. You aren't so much surfing "down" the wave, as you are "with" it. Youtube the heck outta surf videos too, it'll help all your riders.

slipperyrockTKE300
07-01-2014, 12:44 PM
and quit tossing the rope so darn soon (everybody does this). If you got slack you ARE surfing. Learn the wave and how to control the board for a few weeks.

The very act of tossing the rope will cause you to loose the wave.

I always have to tell people just learning: "you throw that damn rope back in the boat again, your done surfing for the day".

kaneboats
07-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Yup, I tell them to wait till they are tired and then drop the rope. Ride as long as you can and then when you lose it its time for the next person up.

Ten85echo
07-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Ill try those tips this weekend...I have notice that I tend to point the nose away from the boat, so ill try and keep it close to the corner. Also my legs are on fire after about 5-10 min is that just old guy talking? lol

slipperyrockTKE300
07-01-2014, 02:24 PM
"my legs are on fire after about 5-10 min is that just old guy talking?"

Well......I'm gonna be 60 years old in September and I don't have that problem :)

I find that the nose of the board should be pointed anywhere between the corner of the boat and the center of the boat.

parrothd
07-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Don't squat so much..

Really you're probably leaning back with your weight on the back leg. This makes it harder to stay on the wave, ie you're riding with the brakes on.

Either push down with your front foot or move both feet forward so when you're standing straight up the board is moving towards the boat.

tgoody14
07-01-2014, 04:18 PM
If you're calves and toes aren't burning the next day, you're not "cutting" the board into the wave enough... You should be leaning over yourself slightly to stay in the pocket!

X2 on not squatting. I ride standing straight up and down. I only start bending my knees when I'm cutting up and down the wave for balance!

moombadaze
07-01-2014, 07:48 PM
what the others have said and hold the rope in your forward hand, slack is surfing

Ten85echo
07-01-2014, 10:00 PM
Don't squat so much..

Really you're probably leaning back with your weight on the back leg. This makes it harder to stay on the wave, ie you're riding with the brakes on.

Either push down with your front foot or move both feet forward so when you're standing straight up the board is moving towards the boat.

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what I've been doing, I'll work on that forward foot weight. I've noticed it's hard to move around on the board once I'm up, so I'll try and get it alittle more forward to begin with. Great tips guys!!!

racer808
07-03-2014, 12:04 PM
There are the tips that made all the difference for me to finally start riding ropeless:

Think of it as riding toe side edge on a snowboard. Put most of your weight on front foot big toe, 65% front / 35% rear. looking at the swim deck helped me as well. Don't pull yourself into the wave the second you get up. Stay back, then surf into the wave. Like others have said, hold on to the damn rope till you are good! I say again, weight on big toe on your front foot is key.

tgoody14
07-03-2014, 12:19 PM
looking at the swim deck helped me as well

YES!! Forgot about that! Helps with balance!

Like when you stand on one leg while stretching your other quad before the big game as you keep having to put your foot down to catch yourself from falling over cuz you're looking into the crowd!

Then Coach yells, put your head down, find a blade of grass and focus on it! You look like a bunch of clowns out there dancing around.... 😡

It always worked...😎

Ten85echo
07-08-2014, 02:32 PM
Thanks Guys for all the tips... I was able to get a good 30-45 secs of no rope :)

slipperyrockTKE300
07-09-2014, 05:36 AM
good work!

But your letting go of the rope too soon in your wakesurfing career.

3 most important rules of wakesurfing when you are just learning:

Hold the rope, learn the wave.

Don't bite the ears off the rabbit

Klos
07-13-2014, 07:47 PM
I would try to slow the boat down to between 9 and 10. I found it worked best for me. The wave feels like it has more push around that speed for me