PDA

View Full Version : USCG Capacity Sticker for ''11 Mobius LSV

chaneya
06-30-2014, 02:14 PM
I need a new capacity sticker for my '11 LSV. Would someone happen to have one handy to snap a picture of and post here? Any model year LSV should be fine.

Where's the best place to order? Dealer? I was considering printing one myself, is that a terrible idea?

New Guy
06-30-2014, 02:26 PM
You don't need it so unless you want it for your information it is not necessary.

http://law.justia.com/cfr/title33/33-2.0.1.8.44.html#33:2.0.1.8.44.2

Woody929
06-30-2014, 02:27 PM
I thought it was so he would know where he needed to start the weight at for the ballast. Isn't that what its for?

chaneya
06-30-2014, 02:40 PM
You don't need it so unless you want it for your information it is not necessary.

http://law.justia.com/cfr/title33/33-2.0.1.8.44.html#33:2.0.1.8.44.2

So are you suggesting our boats are exempt because they are > 20' in length? I pulled this straight out of the Ohio operator's manual. It seems to imply I may get some flak if I get pulled down without one. I could do with as little flak as possible!

"Capacity Plates
(ORC 1547.39 and ORC 1547.40)
No person shall operate or permit operation of a watercraft in excess of
any of the stated limits on the capacity plate. When no capacity plate exists,
no person shall operate or permit operation of a watercraft if a reasonably
prudent person would believe the total load aboard or the total horsepower of
any motor or engine presents a risk of physical harm to persons or property.
No person shall alter, remove or deface any information on the capacity plate."
http://watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/portals/watercraft/pdfs/laws/OperatorsGuide.pdf

gregski
06-30-2014, 03:31 PM
The rangers here use it to write tickets for overloaded boats. I got stopped once on my old boat (6 in a closed bow is a pretty full load, 8 might have been pushing my luck) but that boat didn't state a capacity; he let me go based on his judgement that the boat still had good floatation and a V8... and enough life jackets. It has a USCG approval plate but it doesn't state a capacity. That boat is 20.5' so it wouldn't be excluded. Maybe they didn't require these in 1989?

zabooda
06-30-2014, 03:34 PM
New Guy is correct. You don't need the capacity label. In Washington state you do need the carbon monoxide sticker and they even print it on the registration. Go figure.

chaneya
06-30-2014, 03:37 PM
Yeah, when I first bought it I got a little carried away with sticker removal waiting to put it on the water!

This alone wouldn't be a big deal I'm sure w/ most patrol officers, but I'm sure it would only add fuel to the fire should anything else be out of order, or if there's beers on the boat, which is 90% of the time.:rolleyes:

zabooda
06-30-2014, 04:02 PM
"Capacity Plates
(ORC 1547.39 and ORC 1547.40)
No person shall operate or permit operation of a watercraft in excess of
any of the stated limits on the capacity plate. When no capacity plate exists,
no person shall operate or permit operation of a watercraft if a reasonably
prudent person would believe the total load aboard or the total horsepower of
any motor or engine presents a risk of physical harm to persons or property.
No person shall alter, remove or deface any information on the capacity plate."
http://watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/portals/watercraft/pdfs/laws/OperatorsGuide.pdf

The rule applies to defacing or altering the plate but is doesn't mention removing the plate. I would recommend removing the plate in such a way that it can be reinstalled when it is sold.

chaneya
06-30-2014, 04:51 PM
The rule applies to defacing or altering the plate but is doesn't mention removing the plate. I would recommend removing the plate in such a way that it can be reinstalled when it is sold.

but... but... it says alter, remove or deface...

That's the problem, it has been removed and thrown away - so I'd like to have another to put back in its place.

New Guy
06-30-2014, 05:38 PM
If that is the case call your dealer and have them get one for you. Legally you do not need it and actually I am thinking of pulling it off of our Mojo because we will never be at people capacity but with ballast we'll be overweight. The thing is the Mojo can take a ton of weight and never look overloaded.