PDA

View Full Version : Line Tension Help

chadjitsu1
06-30-2014, 09:14 AM
Last weekend I went out and had a lot of wakeboard time. I have been trying out a 2013 Ronix ONE over my slingshot hooke. I like both boards to be honest. I got off to a slow start this year because of the new board and because of work.

One thing I noticed the last few years and this past weekend was that I have very inconsistent pop off the wake. I always clear both wakes but the height I get is inconsistent. I try to lay down a nice progressive edge and stand tall right at the transition of the wake but for some reason the line tension isnt all that consistent. The times I feel a really tight line I will launch out into the flats and get about 6 foot of height, but the times where the line tension isnt great I am considerably lower in the air and usually just land on the downward transition.

I just dont feel like I can consistently really launch off the wake out into the flats when I want to. I love that feeling and feel like I need to understand what I'm doing wrong before I move on to other stuff.

BTW I also have a ton of issues with toe side jumps, I am not going wake to wake on these and always feel like I am going to get pulled strait forward so I catch my toe edge. Any help there would also be welcome.

Stazi
06-30-2014, 03:25 PM
You need to edge harder to keep the tension and speed in order to get the pop and get out into the flats. It's all about the keeping progressive cut back towards the wake and standing tall and locking the legs to get up in the air...

parrothd
06-30-2014, 04:14 PM
Check out learnwake.com the perfect setup video...

chadjitsu1
06-30-2014, 10:19 PM
thanks for the response I have watched the videos on youtube and other websites but its still a weird to get that feeling. I know its all about line tension but sometimes I feel like I'm edging really hard and the line isnt nearly as tight. I think I need to try to get more tension further our and build it from there. I am starting my turn back toward the boat with very little tension and trying to build it from there, maybe I need to try to really get tight line tension way out.

Check out learnwake.com the perfect setup video...

parrothd
06-30-2014, 10:27 PM
Yea, those don't compare

brain_rinse
06-30-2014, 10:51 PM
The Hooke is great for learning consistency since there are very few board features to confuse things. We've been having even the beginners ride the flex boards so they have to use the right edge technique or it just won't work. So I'd stick with the Hooke and try taking a shorter cut at the wake. That way you can't rely on speed either. Remember to stand tall away from the boat so that you maintain line tension all the way up the wake. If I had to guess you are flattening out at the wake which works sometimes but is inconsistent.

chadjitsu1
07-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Maybe I will try to take a video over the weekend to see if anyone can tell me what im doing wrong. I went out again last night and again had a few really good pop's but also had like 80% middle of the road

parrothd
07-01-2014, 09:21 AM
Best $10 I've spent, beats every single youtube video combined.. ;)

http://www.learnwake.com/videos/hs-jumps-the-perfect-set-up/

tnbrooks01
07-01-2014, 11:04 PM
Maybe I will try to take a video over the weekend to see if anyone can tell me what im doing wrong. I went out again last night and again had a few really good pop's but also had like 80% middle of the road

Some video would be very helpful. +1 for the Learnwake approach. I would not focus so much on line tension as the timing of standing tall or "resisting the wake" with your legs. Line tension or edge controls your side to side motion while your legs control the up and down motion. Fix the timing at the wake with the legs then add more speed via line tension and edge to take it to the flats.

Im not sure if this will work for non members but this is another great video explaining HS wake jumps. http://www.learnwake.com/videos/wake-jump-variations/

chadjitsu1
07-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Update:::::

It isn't my progressive edge or anything like that, I was stomping it and getting the right amount of leg extension the entire time it really has to do with laying down a really hard edge and getting a lot of speed and committing. I am 6'1" and about 210 so I really need to dig hard and focus on speed and really stomping the lip of the wake as I come into it. I can consistently go big but I just loose strength quick. I guess I'm setting old or something. I am now 36 and this year I really wanted to land a 360 just for coolness. If anyone had advice on a 360 spin please let me know. I have been working on handle passing with a weighted handle, I just really dont know when to commit and pull the handle across my body

tnbrooks01
07-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Update:::::

It isn't my progressive edge or anything like that, I was stomping it and getting the right amount of leg extension the entire time it really has to do with laying down a really hard edge and getting a lot of speed and committing. I am 6'1" and about 210 so I really need to dig hard and focus on speed and really stomping the lip of the wake as I come into it. I can consistently go big but I just loose strength quick. I guess I'm setting old or something. I am now 36 and this year I really wanted to land a 360 just for coolness. If anyone had advice on a 360 spin please let me know. I have been working on handle passing with a weighted handle, I just really dont know when to commit and pull the handle across my body

What size board are you riding? What speed and length are you riding?

While you are on the larger side you should not have to work hard to do a heelside w2w jump. If you have to "edge really hard and commit" the boat will win the tug-o-war every time when you try to spin and you will not get the handle back behind your back in the other hand.

With that said... you need solid wake jump. Once in the air you need a 2 handed pull to "put the handle in your back pocket" turning your head over lead shoulder at same time. When you feel the handle against you back hip release your lead hand keeping it as close to you body as possible and reach for the handle. Once the handle is passed to other hand the hard part is over and the rest will happen naturally.

The worst thing that can happen is you keep a lot of line tension or edge against the boat. The boat pulls the handle away from your body at about 210 degrees of rotation and you catch the dreaded back edge.

chadjitsu1
07-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the response, I ride a 146 Slingshot Hooke and a 146 Ronix One. I just got the Ronix and to be honest I like it a little better than the Hooke because it has a rounder edge and I feel more confident not catching an edge. I ride at like 23.5 and at about 70 foot back. I am easily able to jump wake to wake consistently if the water is nice and not rough. I have been able to do wake to wake 180's but 99% of the time crash. I am absolutely able to do 180's any other time but for some reason when I try to go big I always eat it. If I am in the flats just cruising I can pop up and 180 all day long no problem. I need guidance on that part of my riding too.

I think its the landing pat that has be so messed up, I have been trying to ride goofy more. I think I obviously need to get a w2w 180 down easily before a 360 but I am just trying to figure it all out

What size board are you riding? What speed and length are you riding?

While you are on the larger side you should not have to work hard to do a heelside w2w jump. If you have to "edge really hard and commit" the boat will win the tug-o-war every time when you try to spin and you will not get the handle back behind your back in the other hand.

With that said... you need solid wake jump. Once in the air you need a 2 handed pull to "put the handle in your back pocket" turning your head over lead shoulder at same time. When you feel the handle against you back hip release your lead hand keeping it as close to you body as possible and reach for the handle. Once the handle is passed to other hand the hard part is over and the rest will happen naturally.

The worst thing that can happen is you keep a lot of line tension or edge against the boat. The boat pulls the handle away from your body at about 210 degrees of rotation and you catch the dreaded back edge.

tnbrooks01
07-14-2014, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the response, I ride a 146 Slingshot Hooke and a 146 Ronix One. I just got the Ronix and to be honest I like it a little better than the Hooke because it has a rounder edge and I feel more confident not catching an edge. I ride at like 23.5 and at about 70 foot back. I am easily able to jump wake to wake consistently if the water is nice and not rough. I have been able to do wake to wake 180's but 99% of the time crash. I am absolutely able to do 180's any other time but for some reason when I try to go big I always eat it. If I am in the flats just cruising I can pop up and 180 all day long no problem. I need guidance on that part of my riding too.

I think its the landing pat that has be so messed up, I have been trying to ride goofy more. I think I obviously need to get a w2w 180 down easily before a 360 but I am just trying to figure it all out

Ok, video would be very helpful. Definitely do lots of riding switch an IMO slow the boat down and shorten the line if you need too. I suspect you troubles may be coming from the speed allowing the handle to control you rather than you control the handle.

If you can ride with your elbows pinned to your side on a heelside approach and the handle pinned to your hip on a toe side approach then you can control. If the handle is away from your body you are just along for the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ninedriver
07-15-2014, 12:39 AM
If you can ride with your elbows pinned to your side on a heelside approach and the handle pinned to your hip on a toe side approach then you can control. If the handle is away from your body you are just along for the ride.

I'm trying to learn w2w and I've been following this thread. I've been concentrating on line tension and edging, which is helping, but the above quote is quite prophetic ....

This being my first boat and really my first opportunity to progress with some descent handle time, I'm hoping to achieve a lofty w2w ( with grab would be nice )before Father Time has other plans.

tnbrooks01
07-15-2014, 10:25 AM
I'm trying to learn w2w and I've been following this thread. I've been concentrating on line tension and edging, which is helping, but the above quote is quite prophetic ....

This being my first boat and really my first opportunity to progress with some descent handle time, I'm hoping to achieve a lofty w2w ( with grab would be nice )before Father Time has other plans.

Right on! When you start working on the grabs make sure you get good clean wake jump then bring the board up for the grab don't go down for the grab. Start with a Heel side Indy grab (back hand toe side grab between feet) try to initiate the grab about halfway across the wakes. Start with just touching the board then progress to holding the grab as long as possible.

Get some video and share your progression....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk