PDA

View Full Version : Boat Lift

jwest2000
04-12-2006, 09:10 AM
I'm setting up the bunks on my boat lift for my new 06’ Mobius LSV. How much room do I need from the cross frame of the lift and the top of the bunk to clear the tracking fins?

BLKOUTLS
04-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Jason,

The best way to get the proper height is measure your trailer and the clearance
for your tracking fins. Something to think about as well is that your trailer bunks
are supported in multi-locations were the lift bunks are only supported in 2 l
locations. If the lift bunks sag and they will over time clearance may change
keep this in mind.

chris

jwest2000
04-14-2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the tip, but my boat will not be in until the 1st of June and i'd like to set the lift now and get it in hthe water.

BLKOUTLS
04-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Jason,
Sorry did not realize new boat, congrats. I would give your dealer a shout and have them measure the back distance of the bunks as well as the front distance span.
This is important as the bunks on the trailer angle in to the bow. You also want to keep the the boat of the strakes and seated just as it is on just on the trailer. My lift is a shore station and I have it on the tallest bunk height possible. hope this helps.

chris

Rusten
04-14-2006, 10:20 PM
I had come up with 16" on my Kanga, to clear the prop -- which is more of an issue than the fins.

FlaMoomba
04-20-2006, 04:05 PM
I purchased an 05 LSV and ended up using 12" bunks on the cross members for the lift. This allows the fins to clear the cross members but not the prop.

Keep in mind that all you need to do is lower the lift farther in the water prior to moving the boat and everything will clear. Using the 12' bunks was a safer option from the bunk height standpoint as compared to 16-18" needed to clear the prop. Also, my rear cross member of the lift actually is in front of the prop and does not come into play.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Rusten
04-20-2006, 07:05 PM
I had come up with a similar conclusion as FlaMoomba; consider that because your boat does not sit evenly, the lift will already have to be at least a couple inches further down than if you were comparing bunks to the trailer, when you're driving the boat onto the lift. If you're concerned with the precise fin height, however, I believe I had it at 8".

FlaMoomba -- where are you in Florida? More importantly, do you have a reliable dealer/mechanic? I haven't had good luck in West Palm.

BensonWdby
04-20-2006, 10:48 PM
I bought a lift with a cut-out in the rear cradle so the prop clears fine (as well as the fins). My problem was that the bunks in the front were low enough that the cable that runs across the front cradle was rubbing against the bow. Had to increase bunk height a couple inches to get around that one ..

FlaMoomba
04-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Rusten

Funny thing is I bought a close out boat from the West Palm dealer but did not intend to get service. I am dealing with the Ocala branch of Land o Lakes and they are great. They are still learning the brand but they make up for it in friendlieness.

FlaMoomba
04-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Ed - would love to but I have prior committed "family" activities if you know what I mean. Plus drinking beer, boating, etc would not hold a candle to talking with my mother in law. I live a charmed life.

Have a cold one for me!

Tim

FlaMoomba
04-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Ed - would love to but I have prior committed "family" activities if you know what I mean. Plus drinking beer, boating, etc would not hold a candle to talking with my mother in law. I live a charmed life.

Have a cold one for me!

Tim