PDA

View Full Version : Free Skiing Rope Length Suggestions?

North Woods Mobius
06-28-2014, 08:38 AM
We tend to spend all of our skiing time free skiing (we don't have a bouy course and we just love to cruise around our 400-ish acre lake on our slalom ski). So much so, that I bought my twins boys the 2013 HO Freeride ski last year for their birthday, and I bought the new 2014 version for myself for Father's Day (67" for my boys but 69" for old dad!). Here's a pic of what I tend to spend my time doing:

Then I saw Marcus Brown's incredible "Open Water Free Ride Set" video and I was amazed at the phenomenal skiing and what appears to be an incredibly long rope legth. It seems to give him an amazing ride and ridiculous freedom across a really flat wake.

We have the usual 75' ski ropes, but my question for you guys is what rope length have you guys used other than than? Has anyone tried going to 100' or more to do the kind of stuff in that video? We're heading up on Tuesday and I plan to be skiing non-stop Wed-Sun, so I'd love to experiment with longer ropes. Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

skiyaker
06-28-2014, 09:39 AM
One of the edged in water videos had the guys using a non-stretch rope that was a few hundred feet long. I've never tried it but it looks fun. Usually when I free ski behind the OBV I will use -22 or -28 because I like the wake better there but definitely screw around with different lengths and report back! How do you like the freeride? It looks like a really fun ski!

North Woods Mobius
06-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Cool, thanks. I'm gonna try some longer sections and see how it goes...

This week will be my first ski on my new Freeride - I'm finally upgrading from my 2010 Connelly Pilot, and based on my boys' feedback from how they've been LOVING their 2014 Freeride, I think I am never gonna leave this ski! I'll shoot out an update after we get on the water this week

zabooda
06-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Until I saw the video, I wasn't too crazy on the idea but after missing a ski pull for the first time in 51 years (started at age 6) last year due to orthoscopic knee surgery I may need to re-evaluate what I need to do. Next month I will attempt to do a traditional ski run and see how that goes.

Historically, I always removed the last 15' section off of my ski ropes and I felt 60' is still a long way back for anybody. I'd like to see the feedback as well.

ian ashton
06-28-2014, 01:02 PM
I free ski at -15 behind my OBV, but I'm also pretty light and ski slow at 31mph

kaneboats
06-29-2014, 01:04 AM
I have added around 10 ft. to a std 75' rope for free skiing. Makes for a fun ride for just cruising.