PDA

View Full Version : vapor lock idea?

motosno963
06-27-2014, 09:10 PM
I was walking around work when I had a thought, what if you tap into the fresh water line after the strainer with a small 1/2 inch brass piece and run a small 1/2 hose to the fuel pump and wrap it around the pump and go back into the main line..would that help with the pump being cool or would that not work?

parrothd
06-27-2014, 10:04 PM
Just move the pump..

moombahighrider
06-27-2014, 10:37 PM
I was walking around work when I had a thought, what if you tap into the fresh water line after the strainer with a small 1/2 inch brass piece and run a small 1/2 hose to the fuel pump and wrap it around the pump and go back into the main line..would that help with the pump being cool or would that not work?

Moto, I like the direction you are going. I wonder if it would work, seeing as the issue comes up when the boat has been sitting for a bit after running and the heat soaks in to the pump via the block (the cold water would not be flowing at the time, so I'm not sure if it would be enough to overcome the heat)?

It would be nice to have a way of keeping some cold water flowing around it. A guy could plumb the cold side of a hot water shower to that loop and have it kick on automatically if the boat sits for a certain amount of time after running, maybe...

motosno963
06-28-2014, 12:42 AM
Just move the pump..

i dont have the tools to make a new mount for the pump..
also there is still be a bit cooler water still sitting in the line..hhmmmm

hang-nail
06-28-2014, 11:42 AM
If it is an electric pump, may help to put it horizontal vs vertical. I had a problem with vapor lock in warmer weather, made the difference for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

detipton
06-28-2014, 12:04 PM
I live in Arizona and 2 years ago when I bought my boat I had this problem maybe 4 times, once at lake Powell. I got tired of dealing with this (I'm an engineer) so I was looking at the fuel pump to figure out how to resolve the issue when I found an oil line resting up against the fuel pump. So, for a quick fix I took a zip tie and pulled the oil line away from the pump........and the issue went away. Now he pump is cool to the touch even at 110F outside. So, I would recommend looking at how your oil lines are routed and then go to the cooling of the fuel pump as a plan B. I'm a firm believer of KISS (keep it simple stupid). Good luck

sivs1
06-28-2014, 12:24 PM
I live in Arizona and 2 years ago when I bought my boat I had this problem maybe 4 times, once at lake Powell. I got tired of dealing with this (I'm an engineer) so I was looking at the fuel pump to figure out how to resolve the issue when I found an oil line resting up against the fuel pump. So, for a quick fix I took a zip tie and pulled the oil line away from the pump........and the issue went away. Now he pump is cool to the touch even at 110F outside. So, I would recommend looking at how your oil lines are routed and then go to the cooling of the fuel pump as a plan B. I'm a firm believer of KISS (keep it simple stupid). Good luck

I did this as well and it seems to have helped.

motosno963
06-28-2014, 03:47 PM
I don't think I have any oil lines next to my pump on the outback..I think mine just sits right next to the block. I'll have to look again..but if I remember it's just a mount right on the block and no oil lines near it