PDA

View Full Version : Any Ford experts here?

chawk610
06-27-2014, 07:12 AM
Hey gang... looking at upgrading from my 2007 Tundra to a new F150 STX. Looking at the 3.7 V6 Eco Boost. Think she will pull the Moomba with no issues?? It's only 1000.00 more for the V8 but I sure like the gas mileage of the V6.

Opinions please! Trying to make a decision today!
Casey

maxpower220
06-27-2014, 07:58 AM
The 3.7 isn't an ecoboost, it regular non turbo. Not sure how good or bad it would tow. The 3.5 ecoboost is a beast.

uniwarking
06-27-2014, 08:02 AM
Casey,

The Ecoboost is actually a 3.5L V6. The standard V6 is the 3.7L.

I, as well as others on this forum use the Ecoboost with no issues. In fact, I love mine. I can pull my Mojo with a truck full of boating/camping gear with no issues (it's a XLT Supercrew with the 6.5' bed). The Ecoboost actually has comparable peak torque to the 6.2L but it's available at 2500RPM as opposed to 4500RPM. The Ecoboost is an absolute beast.

chawk610
06-27-2014, 08:02 AM
Ok, I got myself mixed up. Looking at the 3.7, not the 3.5 ECO. Hopefully someone here weighs in with that motor. Maybe I need to look at the V8

uniwarking
06-27-2014, 08:05 AM
He would be right, it's one of the best rated towing and payload pickups out there.

And, as a bonus, the mileage is decent when it's not loaded.

marman
06-27-2014, 08:19 AM
I have a ecoboost f150 and my wife has a 13 expedition with a 5.4 v8. The truck pulls my boat much easier than her suv. Actually there is no comparison. We recently went to lake chatuge for a week and decided to take her suv due to ease of use while we were there. When I started across the mountain I wish we had choose the truck. When it comes to hills the ecoboost is just amazing.

chawk610
06-27-2014, 08:24 AM
Ok... I edited ealier post... not Ecoboost. Maybe I need to look at that one then. Quite a bit more but maybe worth it.

Woody929
06-27-2014, 08:31 AM
I know we'll be looking at the Ecoboost Expedition EL when they are released here in a few months. I'm hoping everything I've read about the trucks carry over to that platform.

marman
06-27-2014, 08:32 AM
Ok... I edited ealier post... not Ecoboost. Maybe I need to look at that one then. Quite a bit more but maybe worth it.

I guess it depends really on the area you are towing in. We use v6 f150's for our work trucks and they actually have more torque than the old small v8's of 2008ish. Where I live in NEGA there is hills everywhere so when you start up a hill it's nice having the extra power.

Good luck! I hate buying cars.... I would rather go to the dentist.

chawk610
06-27-2014, 08:36 AM
Yea.. I have a 5.7 Tundra now 2007 with 116k miles... I will test drive the truck today prolly and see how it feels in comparison.

marman
06-27-2014, 08:37 AM
I know we'll be looking at the Ecoboost Expedition EL when they are released here in a few months. I'm hoping everything I've read about the trucks carry over to that platform.

We love her expedition but I wish I could have got an ecoboost in it. It sounds cool with a v8 but my truck beats the expedition with gas milage and torque. I love the turning radius of the expedition though. It is actually easier to maneuver with the boat.

An XL could be the ultimate tow/vacation SUV with an ecoboost. Just make sure you get a backup camera!

Woody929
06-27-2014, 08:45 AM
This would be our first Ford, We've been very loyal GM people, but are open to the change. So we're between the'15 suburban or the expedition. The wife loves her '11 suburban now, but we're in the market for a new family vehicle.

The deciding factors will be the gas mileage and towing capability.

mmandley
06-27-2014, 11:26 AM
If you want the SXT trim for the price, to keep the new truck cost down then get the V8, most have a decent rebate because people are willing to pay the Eco Boost mark up.

The V8 will get decent mileage, when unloaded, loaded it will pull fine but the mileage will suffer a lot.

The Ecoboost is a double edge sword.

Towing its a beast, hands down will out run the V8 versions. Twin Turbos create a lot of low end torque.
Mileage is all up to you. I know people up here getting 15 and complaining, but with the Eco you really have to stay under 2K all the time. Once you go over 2K it changes fuel ratios and spins up both turbos and bye bye mileage.

I personally see 18mpg all the time. My lifetime so fare, as I have not reset my Trip B at 8900 miles is 16.9 and thats with towing the Mojo this season thus fare.

I think its worth the 4-5K in price increase to get an XLT truck with Ecoboost. Also the resale I think will hold better.

chawk610
06-27-2014, 12:11 PM
Great info... I am working on the 5.0 V8 as we speak... hopefully if all goes the way I want it I will be posting a pic of a black truck hooked to a black boat. I mean come on, they have to match... right?

zabooda
06-27-2014, 01:06 PM
Great info... I am working on the 5.0 V8 as we speak... hopefully if all goes the way I want it I will be posting a pic of a black truck hooked to a black boat. I mean come on, they have to match... right?

This is what I picked up last night. 5.0 liter with the towing package. As usual, car companies can't always match up the right accessories and this didn't come with the camera so I will move the one from my other F150 to it. I'm not crazy about the running boards but they are mounted above the frame of the truck but the chrome hurts my eyes. Getting set up for window tinting, Line-X and a soft tonneau cover (I'll do myself). I never look at gas mileage so I never compared the engines as I stuck with what works for me. I got it a shade under $30K with a bunch of rebates. Good luck in your search.

mmandley
06-27-2014, 01:38 PM

Well maybe LOL. I lost my matching Grey when I went to Black, but I really wanted the all black look.

Zabooda good looking truck man.

I do have to say I'm not pleased with the mounting point of the new steps, on my other 3 trucks it was lower allowing it to be a little easier to get in. With the new mounting its a small step from the step to the cab.

uniwarking
06-27-2014, 01:41 PM
For the life of my truck, nearly 41k miles... My milage is at 15.9mpg. This includes idling warm ups, in town, towing a Mojo at 70mph and 14 hr road trips. It doesn't hit the 20+mpg very often... Bet then again it isn't a Prius... It a big dang truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chawk610
06-27-2014, 02:55 PM
We might be twins... we are inching closer to a deealio.

Again, thanks for all the info guys, it has helped with my decisions.

deerfield
06-27-2014, 09:08 PM
I would rather go to the dentist.

No freakin' way!!

kaneboats
06-29-2014, 12:57 AM
All right, Casey. What happened? Let's see some pics.

Suprahunter
06-29-2014, 08:00 AM
The Chevy 5,3 gets better mileage than the eco without the added cost of the turbos.

chawk610
06-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Ended up getting the 5.0 V8. Love the truck. Was a decent buying exp. Oh, removed the decals on the boat and replaced with the Chrome Letters!

rdlangston13
07-01-2014, 12:33 PM
The Chevy 5,3 gets better mileage than the eco without the added cost of the turbos.

Yeah but the 5.3 is crap when it comes to towing. The ecoboost isn't the best fuel mileage motor but it is the best combination of towing AND mileage
(Not mileage while towing, all trucks get crap mileage towing)

Sent from my iPhone