PDA

View Full Version : Wake The World Portland

mmandley
06-25-2014, 12:04 PM
We just completed our 3rd Wake the World event. First time in the Portland area, and on our Home lake Henry Hagg. We had a great family, mom and dad, plus 2 girls 15 and 11. This is the only real pictures I think will show up, AWS brought the G23 out and all these are that particular family. There was a strict no pictures of kids unless you had 1 of 7 families. We didn't have those families lol.

The girls tubed, swam, wrestled, and then surfed. Whats really great is the mom and dad are actually adopting these 2 girls and it should be final in 2 months.

Another great thing is by the end of the day, the girls almost had mom and dad talked into a boat. Dad was asking a lot of questions about which boat he should look into, what types of things does it need and whats the general cost of ownership lol. I directed him to an 07 and up Moomba LSV naturally.

We have another Wake The World event in July we will be attending.

http://www.oregonlive.com/forest-grove/index.ssf/2014/06/wake_the_world_provides_a_day.html

kaneboats
06-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Nice job, Mike. Love to see owners giving back to these unfortunate kids. Glad to hear some of them are getting adopted.

Sharpshooter
06-25-2014, 03:23 PM
I will be volunteering in my first Wake the World event this Friday, we have 93 kids lined up so far. I look forward to showing our group of kids a day to remember

gregski
06-25-2014, 03:34 PM
We are also volunteering at the local Wake the World event later in July. I've been wondering about what to do. Did you find that they wanted to try to learn to ski or board; or was the agenda more tubing and just being on a boat?

mmandley
06-25-2014, 07:59 PM
You have to remember most have never been on a boat, much less the caliber of boats we own. Some don't like water, some do.

The biggest thing is tubing because it's simple, they can go two at a time most of the time and you can do it at any speed.

I have found the teens will be the first to try to surf or wake board.

The key here is to understand your job is to encourage, not insist, help not force, and to show the kids even though their life is hard, if they stay in school, get good grades they can also own boats.

I always take the day as, introduce people, explain the type of boat they are on, explain how safe it is. Then tell them everything we can do, promote each thing equally. Let them decide.

I let them pick music, and sport. I even let them drive a bit (with cruise on ) lol