PDA

View Full Version : Need Screwing Advice

Garn
06-24-2014, 11:26 AM
I figured that title would get your attention. Here's my problem, some of the screws on my boat trailer that hold the wooden planks down (the planks that the boat sits on) are getting stripped. Last night I crawled under my boat to tighten them after seeing some of them half undone. Many of them I can't really tighten up because they are getting stripped. Does anyone have any suggestions besides replacing the would? Any tricks to get them tight?

Thanks,

Garn

bergermaister
06-24-2014, 11:32 AM
Take the bolt completely out, stick a few toothpicks in the hole around the perimeter (as many as needed). Snap off the ends sticking out. Reinsert bolt and tighten down. If too loose, add more tooth picks and repeat. The "new wood" will crush down and compress into the old wood. Not a permanent solution but will get you by for a while.

kaneboats
06-24-2014, 11:36 AM
Use bigger bolts-- assuming you can get them through the holes.

yz 2smoke
06-24-2014, 12:24 PM
We use a wooden dowel for this type of temp fix

sandm
06-24-2014, 12:53 PM
Use bigger bolts-- assuming you can get them through the holes.

I was going to suggest a little blue pill but don't want to see him come down with priapism :)

bergermaister
06-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Had to google that. Now kind of wishing I didn't...

Thanks Scott!

sandm
06-24-2014, 02:41 PM
hope you google website and not google images :)

parrothd
06-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Remove the boat, unscrew all the screws holding the bunk and move the bunk back or forward 1/2 inch and re screw.... :)

I drill a small pilot hole to make it easier..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

zabooda
06-24-2014, 04:20 PM
Remove the boat, unscrew all the screws holding the bunk and move the bunk back or forward 1/2 inch and re screw.... :)

I drill a small pilot hole to make it easier..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

X2 except test the board first to see if the board is sound to start with.

Whitey
06-24-2014, 10:11 PM
Try some woodmate 2498. Works great on wood and fiberglass.

beat taco
06-25-2014, 12:32 AM
X2 except test the board first to see if the board is sound to start with.

X2. Did this last year. My previous boat had rotten bunks that had to be replaced. These were still sound, just the holes were rotted out a little. I tried going bigger but without being able to go longer I had little to no luck. A slight move worked great.

So where do all those missing lag screws end up???

slipperyrockTKE300
06-25-2014, 05:40 AM
I hate those lag screws.

When I recarpet my bunks, I'm gonna use stainless hex head bolts, flat & lock washers and nuts and counter sink the bolt head under the carpet.

rdlangston13
06-25-2014, 10:37 AM
I hate those lag screws.

When I recarpet my bunks, I'm gonna use stainless hex head bolts, flat & lock washers and nuts and counter sink the bolt head under the carpet.

This is what I did a few years ago. Worked great and the bunks will never fall off

Sent from my iPhone

kaneboats
06-25-2014, 11:43 AM
I have some carpet starting to pull off to one side one of my rear bunks. Might just redo the whole thing all at once one of these days. I'd use the method above too. Remember to use at least galvanized replacement bolts if not stainless.