PDA

View Full Version : Setup kicker zxm control

98outback
06-24-2014, 06:55 AM
What's is the best way to start setting up my amps with this controller? Should I turn the radio all the way up and then the controls on the zxm to a certain percent and then set my amps?

philwsailz
06-24-2014, 01:45 PM
What's is the best way to start setting up my amps with this controller? Should I turn the radio all the way up and then the controls on the zxm to a certain percent and then set my amps?

Head unit: tone controls flat, no boost or cut. Loudness OFF. Volume set to 75% of max.
ZXM-RLC: Both controls maxed out.
Amps: start with gain all the way down and slowly go up.

The ZXM-RLC is a voltage doubler so your gains will end up set lower than if the ZXM-RLC was not in the signal chain. this is normal.

Phil
Kicker

philwsailz
06-24-2014, 01:48 PM
BTW, your radio will almost never be turned all the way up, unless you are playing a low amplitude, (low volume) song. Very few head units work at 100% volume without clipping on normal music.

FYI

Phil
Kicker

98outback
06-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Thanks. I had clipping . I was turning the radio up all the wSy and then the zxm controls about 1/2

philwsailz
06-24-2014, 05:04 PM
Yeah, the clipping was EITHER coming from the radio behaving badly at full volume OR the amp gains were too high.

Good luck! I will check back later tomorrow so post up your results. Happy to help

Phil
Kicker

98outback
06-24-2014, 06:03 PM
Sounds great now. Turned volume on radio to 28 and the volume knobs on the zxm 100% and adjusted gains. Much louder now and clearer. No clipping on various types of music. Thanks.