PDA

View Full Version : The "Hot Pick-up"

chawk610
06-23-2014, 08:50 AM
Any of yall here familiar with this? My brother in-law swears this is the best way to retrieve a skier. He turns under speed back into his own wake and grabs the skiier? I have always shut down and turned slowly and idled back to my skier as to not tear up the water for everyone else. Can anyone shed light on what he is doing? Made me feel like a newb when I explained how I do it.

parrothd
06-23-2014, 08:57 AM
He's ruining all the water, that's a power turn, it sends large rollers everywhere and generally pisses everyone else off. He thinks it looks cool, but you waste all that fuel, not to mention the rider doesn't get that mini break to recover and I guarantee everyone else watching thinks he's and idiot/ass.. :)

I hate these guys more than tubers!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

chawk610
06-23-2014, 08:59 AM
That's what I thought... he insists this is the best way to do it.

parrothd
06-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Maybe he doesn't like his riders? When you do that it also sends a huge rollers into the riders face. Lol...

sandm
06-23-2014, 09:18 AM
second this response.
only time throttle is necessary is if you think someone is heading toward your rider, otherwise, most I know enjoy the break.

He's ruining all the water, that's a power turn, it sends large rollers everywhere and generally pisses everyone else off. He thinks it looks cool, but you waste all that fuel, not to mention the rider doesn't get that mini break to recover and I guarantee everyone else watching thinks he's and idiot/ass.. :)

I hate these guys more than tubers!

chawk610
06-23-2014, 09:18 AM
I haven't seen him do it but seems it would rip your arms out of socket.

parrothd
06-23-2014, 09:24 AM
If you run any ballast try it, running thru my wake throws everyone and everything around with a hard smack.

Stazi
06-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Cut the gas, and apply full steer to one side and let your own wake turn your boat around, then return back at idle speed.

chawk610
06-23-2014, 09:28 AM
I should mention he Hydrofoils or as I call it "handi-skiing. Maybe that makes a difference.

SupraLaunch21V
06-23-2014, 10:02 AM
In my opinion, this was used on the dogbone and "P" slalom lakes due to the tight space needed to drop a skier and get them set up for the next run quickly and efficiently and with minimal rollers on the course.

It works - you don't need to goose the trottle if you do it right. It shouldn't tire the skier out, its a small pull and the skier pulls out ahead of the boat and the driver can see the skier at all times. Once you've done it a few times its pretty easy.

And if you think about it, it reduces the huge rollers vs a full stop and having to start from 0 mph with those HUGE 2' swells at 6-7 mph picking up the skier on the way back.

parrothd
06-23-2014, 10:05 AM
That only works of you have a real ski boat and only ski.. :D

spader
06-23-2014, 10:44 AM
Cut the gas, and apply full steer to one side and let your own wake turn your boat around, then return back at idle speed.

I will admit I am a rookie and was trying to do this this past weekend but do you ever have to be concerned about the rope when turning around while doing this? Just curious. I am a little paranoid about everything since this is my first boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chawk610
06-23-2014, 10:52 AM
In my opinion, this was used on the dogbone and "P" slalom lakes due to the tight space needed to drop a skier and get them set up for the next run quickly and efficiently and with minimal rollers on the course.

It works - you don't need to goose the trottle if you do it right. It shouldn't tire the skier out, its a small pull and the skier pulls out ahead of the boat and the driver can see the skier at all times. Once you've done it a few times its pretty easy.

And if you think about it, it reduces the huge rollers vs a full stop and having to start from 0 mph with those HUGE 2' swells at 6-7 mph picking up the skier on the way back.

Well maybe there is something to it then. So, the boat maintains speed and goes around the skier. The skier gets rope and pops back up? Still seems weird to me, but I am no pro or anything.

skiyaker
06-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Well maybe there is something to it then. So, the boat maintains speed and goes around the skier. The skier gets rope and pops back up? Still seems weird to me, but I am no pro or anything.

for us the boat stops while the skier stops to rest between passes- the boat veers left while the skier veers right; creates slack, both skier and boat stop while skier keeps hold of the handle, chat for a minute about how great or poor the pass was, complain about the wives etc, debate whether the roller around 5 ruined the pass or not, then boat idles around skier, lines up, and "HIT IT" for the next pass. it's not really a full on power turn.

garyholl
06-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Yup. Wait, we tube. And jet ski. Guesses you can't please them all.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

parrothd
06-23-2014, 12:19 PM
Think we're mixing two different things here.

Normal Pickup:
A fallen rider who needs to be picked up: slow down and slowly come back around.

Hot pickup:
A rider & boat that have a planned stop point(without losing the rope) and then start backup again. Unless you have a ski boat or DD this going to throw rollers down the path you just came, at least mine does.. :)

bergermaister
06-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Any chance he was just messing with ya? Not that we ever do that around here... ;)

chawk610
06-23-2014, 12:34 PM
No, he is serious. I test drove the new MB he is getting last week and he spent 30 min taking tight turns at speed. I am missing something I guess... I cannot figure out how he would do that and re-start the skier with never slowing down.

parrothd
06-23-2014, 12:36 PM
Any chance he was just messing with ya? Not that we ever do that around here... ;)

Sunday afternoon..Glass all day long... :)

chawk610
06-23-2014, 12:38 PM
Why would you post a picture like that on a rainy Monday???? Now I have to sit here for 4 more days waiting on Saturday!

BensonWdby
06-23-2014, 06:47 PM

This is the best way to intentionally drop a skier. But I think the question was more toward picking up after falling.

chawk610
06-24-2014, 07:12 AM
Yea... that is the question. Sounds like pretty much everyone here shuts it down and idles back (which is what I do). I reckon I will report back after I see this dealio take place.

Stazi
06-24-2014, 08:34 AM
Not really. the rope is goin to lay behind the boat. Just make an arc back to the rider, not a bee line and watch the rope. It should naturally follow the wake of the boat like a train if you do it right.

iwaterskihard
06-24-2014, 07:34 PM
No, he is serious. I test drove the new MB he is getting last week and he spent 30 min taking tight turns at speed. I am missing something I guess... I cannot figure out how he would do that and re-start the skier with never slowing down.

Chawk - your bro in law is an idiot plain and simple. When someone crashes they need a minute to adjust their marbles or assess what just happened. As such he should slow the boat down and come back to the skier at an idle. This was something I used to nag at my wife about when I was an open water skier. She quickly changed and now that we live on a ski lake it has made her that much better of a driver. Stick to what you're doing. Your riders will appreciate it, and lastly - IT'S SAFER!!!!!!

moombadaze
06-24-2014, 07:52 PM
don't do it, just asking for something to go wrong

New Guy
06-25-2014, 03:38 PM
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/images/NPT3.gif

KG's Supra24
06-25-2014, 03:46 PM
What are ya'll talking about?

Hey man, I'm gonna drive by you at 22mph ... all you gotta do is grab that handle and stand up. The trick is in the timing, you got this ..... ?!?!?

PatL
06-25-2014, 07:26 PM
This whole discussion really sounds like what you to do intentionally drop a skier at the end of the slalom course. We do that all the time. However I cant imagine why in the hell you would roll around under power to pick up a skier that fell. I'm in the "confusing 2 different conversations" camp. I will say that once I learned how to intentionally drop a skier while they keep the rope it made us a lot more efficient with sets in the slalom course.

Mikey
06-26-2014, 06:52 PM
I,m assuming this is all done for a specific reason, Doing a HOT pickup... I've been to ski school twice , which uses a lake that at one end pretty much dies so its either power turn with skier or stop drop and roll again. I'm not sure about you but most skiers including the PRO,s i was with one day , take advantage of the short breather after a pass through the course , as short as it may be.

I know for me i was running 2 passes using the turn island at the other end as my Giddy up go pass, then once at the other end it was a Stop and rest.You guys must be in AMAZING shape to want to Hot DROP... Can;t really see the point.
Even with a Stop and drop with skier hanging on and a brief rest only really take a few more seconds, yet to me seems way more benefitial.

If a skier is down and hurt, yeah turn and burn and go see whats up but other than that ... Whats the true benefit to this???

chawk610
06-27-2014, 05:53 PM
I think I will ask this evening... will be seeing their new MB. Maybe I confused this whole thing by stating something incorrectly. Will update when I find out!

PatL
06-28-2014, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE=Mikey;246069]I know for me i was running 2 passes using the turn island at the other end as my Giddy up go pass, then once at the other end it was a Stop and rest.You guys must be in AMAZING shape to want to Hot DROP... Can;t really see the point.
QUOTE] We were out for 4 sets at 7am this morning. As I worked through the batting order with 2 other skiers I realized we don't really drop a skier at the end very much unless they are getting in the boat. I normally ski 4 back to back passes in the course (when I dont fall of course) and then drop. Whats the most beneficial about this is the boat and skier both decelerate at the same pace so you end up in the water right next to the boat after you pull out to the right. Then the driver just needs to idle right to pick you up. We typically get our rest as a spotter or driver. Works pretty well to get 3 or 4 sets per skier in 2 hours.

chawk610
07-01-2014, 06:58 AM
Chawk - your bro in law is an idiot plain and simple. When someone crashes they need a minute to adjust their marbles or assess what just happened. As such he should slow the boat down and come back to the skier at an idle. This was something I used to nag at my wife about when I was an open water skier. She quickly changed and now that we live on a ski lake it has made her that much better of a driver. Stick to what you're doing. Your riders will appreciate it, and lastly - IT'S SAFER!!!!!!
No... he's not an idiot... he has been driving a boat a long time. Again, I think I am misunderstanding what is going on.

BensonWdby
07-01-2014, 07:47 AM
Back in the early days - when we used to fall a lot and hard - and we had an outboard - our practice was to turn around quickly after a fall and get back to the skier right away. Not at full throttle - but quickly. Our reasons were to ensure they were OK and to protect the skier from other crazy boaters not paying attention. It was not really a power turn since we did not throttle up - but it was almost immediate and significant speed coming back. We no longer do this with our DD ski boat. Years of experience have shown it is not really needed (except the one time we had a guy following us in our bubble path and our boarder fell). In general a big turn will throw a roller down the path you are probably heading back to once your skier gets up. In ope water we normally end up reversing direction after a fall anyhow just to avoid the turn roller (regardless of turn speed)

kaneboats
07-01-2014, 09:23 AM
I think I know what he is talking about. I used to know some guys that would try to "ski all the way around the boat". You need to be on the same page with a driver that really knows what he's doing. It looks pretty cool when you pull it off. I think I've seen it done at the old Cypress Gardens in FL. I think he's talking about some variation of this.

garyholl
07-01-2014, 10:23 AM
Lake Lewisville is crowded. When it's windy, everyone crowds into skiers cove. An oval pattern develops and you are expected to turn to the right when your boarder falls so you exit the oval. Needless to say, dropping to idle then turning your 180 back to the boarder is the etiquette. That way the guy coming behind you still has good water to work with.
We also have a hand signal the rider uses to show he's ok and there's no emergency. We try to wobble the board as we wait for the boat to throw some sun reflections around making us more visible.
If someone gets in our "bubble path" (that's a new term for me, thanks Benson) we raise holy hell. That's completely unacceptable. Stay back 50+ yards or face our wrath.

garyholl
07-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Qualifier - we love jumping boat wakes on our jet ski. We've been doing it for years and certain etiquette has developed there too.
Never point the bike directly at the boat. Never hit the primary wake; the second or third ones are usually shaped better for the bike any way. Never allow strangers in to join; they will try and must be told to go away-they don't know the rules. Drivers only drop throttle when the bike is driving away from the boat so when the bike turns for the next run he will see you have already slowed rather than dropping throttle as he approaches possibly causing a collision.
While in the air, if the bike starts to angle you have to push it off and land separately from the bike or its gonna hurt.
Can't wait to see what y'all think of that!

chawk610
07-01-2014, 10:41 AM
Lake Lewisville is crowded. When it's windy, everyone crowds into skiers cove. An oval pattern develops and you are expected to turn to the right when your boarder falls so you exit the oval. Needless to say, dropping to idle then turning your 180 back to the boarder is the etiquette. That way the guy coming behind you still has good water to work with.
We also have a hand signal the rider uses to show he's ok and there's no emergency. We try to wobble the board as we wait for the boat to throw some sun reflections around making us more visible.
If someone gets in our "bubble path" (that's a new term for me, thanks Benson) we raise holy hell. That's completely unacceptable. Stay back 50+ yards or face our wrath.

This is the way I have always done it... just thought it was a thought provoking way. As for power turns... We all do it when we turn the boat around with a skier / boarder don't we?