PDA

View Full Version : Dive Mask saves the day!!

ninedriver
06-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Hello all,

This being my first year with my LSV, I've spent countless hours on this forum researching and learning. One nugget of information I picked up which has been mentioned in a few threads was to include a dive mask in the "items to have on your boat" kit. I've seen a lot of pics of the lakes some of you guys are on, which you can almost see to the bottom. I mostly boat on Corp of Engineers lakes which are filled by run off and rain water. Basically a 500 acre mud puddle, with visibility of about 12 inches. At first I figured a dive mask would do me little good, but I got one anyway based on forum recommendations and figuring 12 inches of visibility is better than none. Good thing I did!

Yesterday, I was on the lake with the family and 'it' happened. A break down in communication allowed the ski rope under the boat. Fortunately, I was only in idle speed forward and I happened to glance at the rope and saw it begin to go taught from the water to the tower. I immediately shut down the engine and assessed the situation. A tug on the rope confirmed my fear, prop got it. After a brief moment of "serenity now", I gathered my composure, and went right to my onboard "boat kit". I pulled out my brand new dive mask, labels still attached, and went in for a look. I just felt my way to the rudder, got within 12-18 inches and could see just fine. Sure enough, the rope was wrapped around the prop shaft about 8 to 10 times. After a few times coming up for air, I was able to unwrap and free the rope. I inspected the rope for damage, there wasn't any, and we were good to go! Thanks to some excellent advice from fellow Moomba Maniacs, we enjoyed the rest of the day.

So, those of you that have a dive mask, excellent. Those of you that don't have one, get one...now. Don't put it on your 'to do' list. Do it, now. Walmart has them for cheap. Also, get a good knife in case you're unable to unwind the rope as I was.

Thanks again !
Steve

garyholl
06-22-2014, 12:48 PM
Hoorah! I learned that the hard way. On a very cold day the rope disappeared and it was difficult to deal with cold and blind. I now also keep swimming goggles on board. As well as...
Gorilla tape
Large leatherman
Spare impellet
Basic tool kit (pliers, screwdrivers, crescent wrenches, ring clamps, zip ties, etc)
Whistle
What else?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Beejwest
06-22-2014, 11:12 PM
Dive mask. Genius. Thats going in tonight.

My cooler turned into my tool box. Wire strippers, hose clamps, wire cutters, electrical tape, fuses, wire crimps, sockets, screwdrivers, channel locks, needle and regular pliers, crescent wrench, 3-4' of electrical wire, and the same of speaker wire.

Then I have spare parts for the ballast bags, like hose and quick connect fittings.

Carry a 12volt 5 gagillion candlepower spotlight, tons of rope, air horn, whistle, med kit, and paper towels.

Adding an impeller as soon as it gets here. Anybody else got any more "necessities"?

trayson
06-23-2014, 01:32 AM
I carry a dive mask and a snorkel. I also have a floating knife. I have a harbor freight tool kit as well with a little of everything.

I probably should have jumper cables but I do have a 2nd battery on a switch.

I think I should also throw a couple hose clamps in...

Fuses, yes fuses are another good one. And if you have throw-over ballast pumps, have TWO because I had a friend send one to the bottom of the river...

mcdye
06-23-2014, 07:53 AM
I have a pair of swim goggles and knife in my tool box... Luckily have not had to use it yet for a rope.

jester
06-23-2014, 11:52 AM
a dive mask is a must. I have used it a few times on friends boats and a ooo moment when I hat a log and wanted to see if I damaged the prop or anything under the boat. I would not get jumper cables but have a jump box in the boat. It is a pain in the *** to jump another boat on the water. a jump box you can just pass it over and do not have to deal with a cable that is not long enough to reach between the boats. But my jump box sits in the truck most of the time after a month into boating season.

parrothd
06-23-2014, 12:09 PM
You're missed two very important items....Zip ties and duck tape.. :)

bergermaister
06-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Small waterproof flashlight with a wrist strap is handy if you ever go out at night. I've been under the boat untangling a ski rope we unfortunately found adrift in the middle of the river one night. Not a pleasant experience.

wolfeman131
06-23-2014, 01:09 PM
My cooler turned into my tool box.

what? where do the beverages now go? get a plastic, waterproof ammo box from Bass Pro or Academy and put that cooler back to better use.